PDA

View Full Version : Shaolin Longfist vs. Northern Shaolin

Brad
09-28-2004, 07:11 PM
Are these two different systems? I allways get confused if Shaolin Longfist(like what Yang Jwing Ming does) and Northern Shaolin are the same things.

WanderingMonk
09-28-2004, 08:39 PM
Northern Shaolin Long Fist is the name for GM Han Ching Tang's system. He based his system on the shaolin curriculum of the National Nanjing Martial Institue where he studied in the early republican days.

Bak Siu lum/northern shaolin is organized by the civilians martial artis trying to preserve the shaolin system.

similarity: both system are based, derived, and influence by northern shaolin systems

difference: one was sponsored by the military/government and the other organized by civilians;

there are some overlapping sets, differences in intepretataion and emphasis.

Robert Young
09-29-2004, 09:18 AM
> Northern Shaolin Long Fist is the name for GM Han Ching Tang's
> system. He based his system on the shaolin curriculum of the
> National Nanjing Martial Institue where he studied in the early
> republican days.
Something I would like to add here. GM Han's curriculum mostly came from the forms he leared in Sang Dong before he went to the Institute. Only three out of ten empty hand forms were from the Institute.

The Insitute taught many different styles, Northern Shaolin, Xing Yi, Ba Gua, Tai Chi, Pi Gua, Fan Zi, Shuai Jiao, and many others. Most people went to the Institute already have learned their own styles.

Cheers,

norther practitioner
09-30-2004, 02:09 PM
Northern Shaolin Longfist, Bak Siu Lum, Songshan Shaolin, Northern Shaolin (styles like cha, hong, hua, etc) are all different systems, all with there similarities, are all have there flavors as well. There are a few other "Northern Shaolin Longfists" too... similar, and overlapping to YJMings system, and others like some of what Adam Hsu teaches. We have some wushu and other stuff sort of mixed in at the school I go to.

WanderingMonk
09-30-2004, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by norther practitioner
There are a few other "Northern Shaolin Longfists" too... similar, and overlapping to YJMings system, and others like some of what Adam Hsu teaches.

Adam Hsu and YJMIng's long fist teacher are kung-fu brother under GM Han. so, the core northern shaolin long fist system between the two are the same. the interpretation differ due to different exposures/experiences.

norther practitioner
10-01-2004, 11:24 AM
You're right, I meant to say it a bit differently. Either way, there are a bunch.

Brad
10-01-2004, 06:37 PM
Just curious, but which system is Ku Yu Chang(sp?) associated with?

Friendless Tool
10-04-2004, 07:42 PM
Ku Yu Cheung's system is Bak Si Lum I believe

found this too

http://www.harmoniousfist.com/kuyucheung.html

all about him

norther practitioner
10-05-2004, 09:52 AM
Yeah, BSL.....

do a search, there is a bunch of info on the forum via Gene, NS, and numerous others.