PDA

View Full Version : Can I be sold?

draco
09-29-2004, 09:18 AM
I am a 5th dan who has never taught a full class. I do not belong to any association and never have. My paper work is registered in Bejing China and is signed by someone with a PHD. I know an assortment of Kung Fu.

How can an unknown be marketable?

red5angel
09-29-2004, 09:24 AM
market yourself for who you are and what you know, not who you know. So what if you don't belong to an organization? You've got papers that are as official as anyone else, and frankly the paper doesn't matter so much as what you can show you know and what you can pass down.

MasterKiller
09-29-2004, 09:43 AM
You got a Dan ranking from Beijing? In Kung Fu?

Indestructible
09-29-2004, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by MasterKiller
You got a Dan ranking from Beijing? In Kung Fu?

Yeah, what he said.

red5angel
09-29-2004, 10:18 AM
has this forum suddenly gone retarded? I mean more then normal? It's pretty common now a days to take traditions from other arts, as well as techniques and so on. Oh yeah, let's not forget the idea that the chinese aren't opposed entirely to learning non-chinese arts from time to time.

MasterKiller
09-29-2004, 10:20 AM
So says the capoeira boy.

red5angel
09-29-2004, 10:26 AM
thats right MK, I've gone beyond a narrow minded view of what should be and challeneged myself by looking at other cultures and ways of doing things. You should try it one day, you might like it.

MasterKiller
09-29-2004, 10:29 AM
Nevertheless, your personal trek has little to do with the oddity of receiving a high-level Japanese ranking in the heart of mainland China.

red5angel
09-29-2004, 10:34 AM
Nevertheless, your personal trek has little to do with the oddity of receiving a high-level Japanese ranking in the heart of mainland China.

apparently it does since it's not an issue with me. ;)

MasterKiller
09-29-2004, 10:38 AM
If doesn't bother you then STFU and let people who are concerned ask questions to clarify the situation.

Meat Shake
09-29-2004, 10:52 AM
Do you have the capacity to teach a full class?

Have you tested your material and seen that it is effective?

Do you feel comfortable teaching a large class, or would you prefer a small group of semi-private instruction?

Theres a market for martial arts pretty much everywhere.... Not a big one, but its there. Just put the word out... Leave some fliers at a couple of martial arts supply stores, or even just sports supply stores. Leave business cards in the middle of martial arts books at the book store. Leave fliers at the local college campus's, and if you want kids classes leave some at the libraries. If anyone calls, tell them you havent started classes *quite* yet. Just see what kind of response you get, and go from there.

red5angel
09-29-2004, 11:55 AM
as I have said on multiple occasions MK, I like to cut off narrow mindedness and stupidity before it get's out of control.

MasterKiller
09-29-2004, 12:01 PM
Funny you never apply that principle to yourself...

red5angel
09-29-2004, 12:08 PM
ooohhh good one! Was that written in your high school year book or did you make that one up?

Funhy, you can't stop doing it so I wouldn't have to apply the principle at all ;)

David Jamieson
09-29-2004, 12:11 PM
perhaps he is refering to the new "duan" ranking system that is starting to spread across China in the last couple of years?

Just guessing.

But if you want to market yourself, then research some marketing in the martial arts. Take a look around do a bunch of reading then do your write up.

it's that or get a pimp. a pimp will sell you easy. :p

Meat Shake
09-29-2004, 02:04 PM
Im a pimp.
How may I help you?

Starchaser107
09-29-2004, 02:27 PM
so he needs to be ranked in japan or okinawa..I don't get it?
where were you graded and ranked?

Serpent
09-29-2004, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by red5angel
ooohhh good one! Was that written in your high school year book or did you make that one up?

Funhy, you can't stop doing it so I wouldn't have to apply the principle at all ;)
Red, will you STFU. MK's question is quite valid and plenty of us are interested in the answer.

Brad
09-29-2004, 08:19 PM
Duan or Dan? Well, his profile says: "BB in Ninpo Chuan Fa", but I have no idea what that is... I mean I know what Chaun Fa means, but what is ninpo? :confused:

draco
09-30-2004, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by Brad
Duan or Dan? Well, his profile says: "BB in Ninpo Chuan Fa", but I have no idea what that is... I mean I know what Chaun Fa means, but what is ninpo? :confused:

Silent Warrior Fist Art.

Dan ranking is from a "state" registered school also "registered" in China and has a seal, this school is closed for now. Maybe I shouldn't of posted a rank, confusing for some.

Thanks All for posting...

David Jamieson
09-30-2004, 07:07 AM
but what is ninpo

ninpo is a japanese fighting art that has been touted as an older martial art and was the base style of ninja clans.

It is an empty hand style that is not all as common as Karate, but it is likely there is a lot of karate that borrow from this older style of empty hand fighting.

but, it is curiously american in teh mix of languages ie: ninpo chuan fa. that's a japanese / chinese hybrid set of words.

kinda like "shaolin do" :D which is a chinese/japanese mix of words.

only in america.

red5angel
09-30-2004, 07:14 AM
Red, will you STFU. MK's question is quite valid and plenty of us are interested in the answer.

Serpent, no, I won't. I've been on this forum long enough to know why the question was asked, especially by our resident cynic. All that question does is open up the original poster to attack byt some of you retards who can't accept the fact that sometimes things don't fit into your tiny little worlds the way you believe they should. So suck it ;)

David Jamieson
09-30-2004, 07:20 AM
red-

you're projecting onto others with all your talk of "fitting a view" these days.

it is revealing that you yourself had a very pigeon holed view of things. Something occured recently that changed that view and now for some reason you are choosing to belive that everyone else out there thinks like you do.

well, many of us don't think like you do at all. I would think that by reading some of these posts that would be apparent.

just saying.

Brad
09-30-2004, 07:48 AM
Silent Warrior Fist Art.

Dan ranking is from a "state" registered school also "registered" in China and has a seal, this school is closed for now. Maybe I shouldn't of posted a rank, confusing for some.

Thanks All for posting...
Did you actually go to China for this rank? Can you explain in detail how you learned this art, became ranked, got certified, etc.? I think it will be pretty hard for anyone to give you sound advice without knowing a somewhat detailed background.

draco
09-30-2004, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by Kung Lek
ninpo is a japanese fighting art that has been touted as an older martial art and was the base style of ninja clans.

Maybe a ploy of words not written by me. I have asked questions of the name can also mean "silent blade" The best and last answer I recieved for the name Ninpo, "shut up and fight"

a ploy of words like the location of "Turttle Island" <G>

I think I have cognition that my Kung-Fu (hard work) my certifficate of achievement is my graduation. I no longer need be that person, I no longer need to ask questions to a computer, because I know.

red5angel
09-30-2004, 07:52 AM
kung lek, you've been on this forum long enough to know the truth of what I say. When guys like Brad ask the question, it generally turns out to be for the sake of conversation. Hell, I'd even go so far as to say sometimes when guys like you ask that question, then it might be for the sake of conversation. But we have some pessimists and some people on this site who just feel they gotta put everything down they can. MK is one of those, and I could see it coming from a mile away.
I've done MK a favor, now he has a chance to save face. He can keep his trap shut about it, instead of building up tp the negative input and baiting he was working on, he can say some nice things, even if he is just trying to "prove" me wrong. ;)

red5angel
09-30-2004, 07:53 AM
and I'm just curious how I DO think kl.......

David Jamieson
09-30-2004, 08:09 AM
Only you know for sure how you think red.

and there is no giving or saving face in an atmosphere of anonymity.

with the exception of the occasional germ of an idea that one finds here and there on an internet forum, or maybe a little inspirational phrase, for the most part, it's empty words and mouth boxing of little actual value in our everyday lives.

It's a time passer, a way to spend some time conversing about matters of a particular genre with some like minded individuals. Arelief for many of us from the boredom of sitting in a cubicle with not much to do.

Sure sometimes the discussions get heated, but that only makes it a litle more interesting for maybe one day or two.

Internet forums are not true vehicles of intellect, they are passtimes in my opinion, that once the time is passed, so has their value. :)

lol, no wisdom here, just a bunch of ebb and flow, ebb and flow.

red5angel
09-30-2004, 08:23 AM
too true

MasterKiller
09-30-2004, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by red5angel
I've done MK a favor, now he has a chance to save face. He can keep his trap shut about it, instead of building up tp the negative input and baiting he was working on, he can say some nice things, even if he is just trying to "prove" me wrong. ;) Baiting? Man, you think everything is a conspiracy...

I was seeking clarification on why someone who studied and received a high ranking in China was awarded a Japanese rank.

The only one trying to bait in this thread is you and your insistent whining. You flip-flop more on martial arts than anyone I've ever seen. Wing Chun is d34dly....I want to be a MMA fighter...Shaolin guys rock... I just want some exercise in Capoeira.

I'll put it in terms you can understand:

MK is the George Bush of CMA --- Steady but a little stubborn.

R5 is the John Kerry of CMA/MMA/BMA/NAMBLA.--- Flip-Flop supreme who can't settle on anything.

Ray Pina
09-30-2004, 08:25 AM
Put some flyers up in town. Don't even mention a style if you don't want.

Striking, kicking, ground fighting
Weapons class available

Something like that. Good luck.

I'm over the belt ranking system, ect. It works for some styles, like BJJ where it means something to be a purple belt. Other schools, belts don't mean much except internally, to say who's who.

And a rose by any other name is just as sweet.

If you can fight and you can teach fighting, you'll get students.

Mutant
09-30-2004, 09:02 AM
To have validity and draw in students and money, I think you've got to be able to do one of 3 things:

1- compete in valid recognised competitions and do well.

2- have a verifyably lineage of impressive masters, to draw in and satisfy traditionalists, if thats your niche.

3- create an alternate fantasy world and prey on the impressianable and weak-minded.

If you can't do any of the above catagories well, then you might as well forget it, nobody will give you any credibility and you will be unmarketable. Which path you choose depends on your abilities and credentials, which we know nothing about.

btw, how do you become a 5th 'dan' (which does sound sketchy coming from China, you may want to rethink that if you go for strategy 2) w/o ever teaching a class?!? Anyway, whatever, good luck.