PDA

View Full Version : out of a hiatusq

Meat Shake
09-29-2004, 02:00 PM
Ok...
So the past 2 and a half weeks Ive been on a hiatus, doing absolutely nothing due to an upper respiratory infection. (Im athsmatic... UPI can turn into something deadly if Im not careful about it)
Anyhow.. Before I got sick, my cardio vascular fitness was at a peak... I had sick endurance. I got back into things today... Did each empty hand form 30 times each side, and each belt cracking 20 times each side. I almost puked and Im having trouble typing because my hands want to stay closed from the belt cracking... Is it normal to lose that much strength and cardio work in such a short period of time? Any suggestions to help me get back on track quickly? I have a tournament in 2 weeks, and I feel like Ive lost out on 8 months of work. :(

Serpent
09-29-2004, 06:00 PM
Don't push it or you'll get sick again. It takes a while to get back to capacity even after you feel better. Train at around 50% of your usual capacity for a few days to kickstart your metabolism again so that you don't shock your CNS. Then up the intensity daily and you should be back up to speed in about ten days. You will lose a little bit of your previous peak, but it won't take long to get it back if you go slow and steady. Recovery isn't instant.

Toby
09-29-2004, 07:03 PM
I feel bad after a week off, let alone 2. Both cardio and strength. But I'm addicted to exercise :(. I'd follow Serp's advice and ease into it.

MasterKiller
09-30-2004, 07:01 AM
I had the flu and a flu hangover for 4 weeks last December. My cardio has never been the same.

IronFist
09-30-2004, 04:37 PM
What's a flu hangover?

blooming lotus
10-01-2004, 05:03 AM
K : that's crazy! I remember it....... I think to recover in earnest though , you've gotta do some serious rest and follow up with some serous health only nutrition ( and no pizza does not count!!!!) and plenty of water!!!!!!

really vit c's and some flushing estringents for yourself, go easy on fats ( mucousey promoters) for a bit and work gradually but earnestly, even when you don't feel like it..........til you're back there.........either that, or unfortunately you accept your decline...the longer you wait the harder it's going to be. Don't forget, back then, bub was still really tiny and demanding, so give it another shot maybe . Set a day and turn it into a month.........

good luck and take care ha

Cpa :- good advice all round really, but if you're feeling any of your own bug hangover, see a tcm practiioner for some good drinking herbs.

The boys have you well covered though, so good luck and happy rest and recovery.

Bl

MasterKiller
10-01-2004, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by IronFist
What's a flu hangover? Lingering symptoms but not full-blown flu. I had trouble sleeping, sore throat, muscle aches, on and off for about 3 weeks after I got over the intial bug.

Meat Shake
10-01-2004, 12:55 PM
That sucks. I know Ill be able to get into pretty good shape again before moving, but I wont be able to fight in the tourney this month. :(

Serpent
10-01-2004, 04:32 PM
With sickness the same as injury - don't try to rush back in. You'll just make things worse. Take your time and recover well the first time and you'll be sweet.

Look on it as a lesson in patience and forbearance.

Vash
10-01-2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Serpent
Look on it as a lesson in patience and forbearance.

As much as I hated hearing this during my extended leave, it's true.

Serpent
10-01-2004, 07:09 PM
Yep. I don't make this sh!t up.