1331 Juan Tabo NE
(Just north of Constitution)
Albuquerque, NM.

To Register Contact:
Mr. Jake Burroughs / Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
505-385-2987 or three_harmonies@hotmail.com
www.threeharmonies.com

Friday Night 6-9pm: Leg Locks
This seminar will focus on finishing leg locks from takedowns. We will be led through a series of knee bars, ankle locks, leg locks, and finishing submissions under Tim’s watchful eye. Tim will also teach several takedowns and throws from kicks. How many times have you taken your sparring partner down after catching his kick, or seizing his leg, and not known how to finish off with a submission? In this intensive seminar Tim Cartmell will draw upon his extensive training in the Chinese arts of throwing and locking (shuai / na), and over 9 years of Brazilian Jiujitsu under Cleber Luciano, to teach you the principles, techniques, and application in order to improve your understanding of locking the lower limbs.

Saturday 12pm-4pm: Sensitivity Training in the Chinese Martial Arts
Saturday’s workshop will use the principles of effortless power, listening or sensing intention in your opponent, and utilizing proper body mechanics in order to issue maximum power with minimal strain, to offer a comprehensive overview of sensitivity training. These seminars are open to all levels and styles. This training is not style specific; therefore it can benefit anyone from any background.
• Learn a variety of drills and variations from the arts of Xing Yi, Bagua, Taiji, and other systems
• Learn to properly utilize gravity and structural alignment
• Leave this seminar with a better understanding of how to apply martial techniques to your push hands, or sensitivity, training
• Learn how issue effortless power and control over your opponent
• Better you martial art’s training by incorporating these principles into your current practice

Sunday 9am-1pm: Throws, Takedowns, and Locks
In this workshop we will focus on the throwing and locking arts (shuai / na) of Xing Yi. Few people teach these very simple, yet effective applications in their Xing Yi curriculum. While Xing Yi is certainly a powerful striking art, its takedowns and locks are some of the most brutal, and effortless to perform. We will cover applications, principles, and drills from the Five Elements, 12 Animals, and various set’s. Tim has spent over half of his life learning the arts of Shanxi and Hebei Xing Yi, and wrote the book “Effortless Combat Throws,” which should be required reading in many martial arts schools.
• Learn various techniques and principles and then apply them in realistic fight scenarios
• Anyone can benefit from this training NO PRIOR XING YI KNOWLEDGE NEEDED!!!!!
• Xing Yi tends to work more linear, therefore many of these throws, takedowns, and locks are not what you see in Judo and similar arts.
• All of this training is considered “Close Quarter” so anyone from any style can benefit from this seminar

This is a wonderful opportunity for those of you interested in next years Sun Taiji intensives here in Albuquerque, NM. to check out Tim and his teaching style. I guarantee you will not be disappointed!

Tim Cartmell:
Tim is known throughout the martial arts community as a no non-sense teacher and fighter. He analyzes all techniques and theories and discards anything that he cannot teach to someone quickly and easily. His attention to detail has led him to write, and translate many books and articles, and his seminars are no less informative. We usually leave with so much info our heads hurt!
Tim has studied and fought full contact in both China and Taiwan for over 12 years, and has since dedicated his life to teaching, and training in these wonderful arts. For more info on Tim visit www.shenwu.com

holymantis
09-30-2004, 11:54 AM
WHAT .
SO THIS IS CALLED 7*PRAYING MANTIS

DOH DON'T THINK SO .
THIS THRED NEEDS TO BE TAKEN OFF OUR PAGES[CLOSED DOWN ]

HOLYMANTIS

Three Harmonies
09-30-2004, 08:12 PM
Holymantis,
So you do not think any of these principles could remotely apply to Mantis, or any other style for that manner? The pressure must hurt from such a closed mind!
I apologize.... maybe you are relatively new to the martial arts and cannot see the benefit of these teachings.
Humans are all structurally the same. To the best of my knowledge no human being has morphed a third arm or leg. Therefore there are only so many ways to lock an arm, sweep a leg, and throw someone with one of their legs in your hands! So regardless of background one can learn the principles and dynamics behind these techniques.
Sensitivity training is no different. Analyze your training and system as it has been taught too you, and see how much involves sensitivity training of some sorts. It should be a rather high percentage.
Leg locks are just as important as any other lock. Do you not practice Chin Na in your Mantis? The fastest growing martial arts today are the ground fighting arts such as Sambo, BJJ, and Pancrase. If you do not agree leg locks are part of Mantis, then train them so you do not get your ass handed too you when you fight someone who does have the knowledge.
Lastly... there is no appropriate area for anyone to post seminar announcements on KFO so I posted on several different forums to get word out. To be open for any and all to attend. It was an invitation. If you can convince the powers that be to create such an arena, I will not presume to waste your precious time with such invitations on the "Mantis" forum!
BTL Feel free to delete this post if you feel it is waranted, I respect your wishes as a moderator.
It is a shame

Jake

yu shan
09-30-2004, 09:52 PM
Hi Jake,

Thanks for the invite, with all the travel this year, I need to stay home for awhile. Not to mention letting the material I have learned from Master Profatilov, your Shifu, Master Hu Xi Lin and of course Master Shr ZhengZhong have time to digest. I`m cutting myself off on new material, you understand.

You have always spoke highly of Cartmell Laoshi. For the open minded that attend, I`m confident that these souls will come away with a treasure or two. ;)

While Master Shr was in Tampa, a JJ Master came in. They hit it off from the get go. Shr was very interested in seeing what this man had in his repertoire, and was very excited to share. So it looked to me like our Grand Shifu respects all Arts.

Good luck and train hard.

Jim

Three Harmonies
10-01-2004, 07:13 AM
Jim
There are a fw of you out there on this post that understand my position, but unfortunately the BS from the rest of these children is going ot drive quality people away! Have you guys ever wondered why people such as Profatilov Laoshi and what not do not post here???? I am about fed up and I have not been back more than a couple of months.

Jake

FEELERSTRIKE
10-01-2004, 10:11 AM
Three harmonies ,
I am sorry you feel that way , I have only been on this forum for a short while and I do not always agree with what is put on this site but it is a open forum for people to express their views . 'We are not children 'and I'm afraid with that comment you have lowered yourself to the level you complained about . Even if you disagree with a point of view you can still show some respect . This is why alot of us have kept away from these sites and the community in general for many years . ( By the way the seminar sounds very good it's a shame it its to far for some of us to attend )

Three Harmonies
10-01-2004, 10:58 AM
In general people do act as children here. It was nothing meant personally, and I apologize for offense. The majority of "expressed views" here are nothing more than ego trips, and immature "challenges". I understand this is an open forum and anyone can state an opinion, and I respect that. I guess my expectations are too high for this forum, because I am sorry... the majority of the conversations are assnine. Very little quality information is shared regarding technique. When someone such as Steve Cottrell (who is one of the most prominent Mantis historians in the US) posts a paragraph or two on history, people feel it neccesary to argue without any valid backup. When I try to make an event known to the general public, I get flack (BTW you mentioned I should respect opinions even if I do not feel the same way, yet how can I respect someone boldly stating that my post is garbage and should be removed?)! There seems to be a general attitude coming from certain groups / schools overseas, of which I do not understand (once again for an "open, mature" forum) You are right, everyone (including yourself, BTL and Holymantis) have a right to their opinion, I guess I was just hoping for a higher level of maturity. And that is my fault, I take responsibility. I post on two other respectable forums, and these problems are very rare, almost not existant! for some reason this forum is unique in it's ability to be silly. Is that a better, non-offensive word?
If teachers such as myself are turned off by this, what do any of you ever expect to accomplish? There are few of us out there willing to share information, and when we are willing these are the arena's you would like us to convene in? Thankfully Cottrell Laoshi, Hui Laoshi, Smyer Laoshi, and a few others are willing to wade through the BS for you guys.
Do you understand my frustration better Feelerstrike? I hope I have been able to make myself clear, because I certainly am not trying to "lower myself to the level I speak of." These forums are here to serve a purpose, and I believe opinions should be shared, but not in the manner they are expressed in this forum. Where is the sharing? Where is the educated, intelligent arguments? We have lots of numbers, but little substenance(?)! Know what I mean? I hope I helped more than hurt.
Jake

shirkers1
10-01-2004, 11:25 AM
Hey jake,

I feel your pain. Sometimes we in posting our opinion on the matter just stirr up nah sayers to throw down some smack. But that is fine, it's their opinion as well. The problem with this is that it IS JUST a board and the guy isn't in front of you talking face to face. So you can't show him what you are talking about or for that matter say what you have to say to his face, and we all know that some people are big talkers when you're not face to face....

Whether it's misunderstanding or just plain being a jerk, they are just words and what you hear in your head may be different than what the other guy intended. We as adults should take this in to concideration, before posting or answering a post. Everyone has a bad day, misunderstands or whatever the case may be. Try to share info as best we can and work through the crap. :) That's why I decided to try and post some vids because I feel it will help people understand what I'm talking about. What I see and do is different than what the other guy might be seeing. So anyway, I wish I could attend the seminar but I as well have done way too much traveling and training. Must let it all sink in. :)

good day
mark

Three Harmonies
10-01-2004, 11:53 AM
Well said Mark. True.
Jake

FEELERSTRIKE
10-01-2004, 12:34 PM
I understand where you are coming from in your frustration with trying to put a message across . My sifu has for many years promoted our lineage of 7 Star Mantis Boxing here in the U.K and we have had all kinds of hostility and general disrespect from people who are very quick to talk when it is not face to face . Even at the present we have supplied info to a very good mantis site that didn't have much on our lineage only to have doubt thrown at us about our late Grandmaster . If the guy involved had been in the same country as my sifu he would never had thrown such doubt . This is oneof the reasons why many great sifus keep out of the international spotlights . People are very quick to speak out without ever seeing what others can do . I was hoping that this modern era would be able to bring more people together to all help promote our style as I am sure we all have ideas and techniques and training methods that most would find usefull . Over the years my Sifu has taught people from most martial art backgrounds without any disrespect and without holding back . Even other mantis boxers have come to our school to learn to use the system . His belief is that knowledge that was passed on to him by his master should be shared .
Yes again I agree with you there are some most respected people putting their knowledge out for people to learn from and gain a better understanding ( MantisifuFW I am indebted to you for your help and knowledge on certain matters ) let these be an example to us all

yu shan
10-01-2004, 06:43 PM
Jake

All in all, I still think this forum is very good. That being said, it has made a turn recently, maybe growing pains. I suggest staying with and making your contributions and hopefully bringing something home. There are plenty of quality pugilists here, hang in there and lets give it a chance. I know of one other forum you post at, would you like to share with us another?

One of my goals for the future, is to share with everyone clips of material I learned from my Shifu and Shr ZhengZhong. It is rather complicated right now, but I see light at the end of the tunnel.

Sorry Bei, got a little off topic. I support those out there trying to make us all better Martial Artists.

Jake, in closing I shared video of your Shifu, Hu Xi Lin with my older gong fu brother. He was amazed and totally energized with his approach. I`m going speak to Shifu Scolaro about having him out.

It was a shame many missed out on Master Shr`s visit to the U.S.