PDA

View Full Version : How much you pay a month for Kung fu Classes

dre_doggX
09-30-2004, 09:19 AM
100, 75, 50. what is they price at your school

BAI HE
10-01-2004, 06:32 PM
Depends who's teaching...

Go through this list and tell me which one of these people is worth learnin' from

http://www.cbel.com/kung_fu/

Then say, why the **** is that list missing soooo many good teachers? I could name 10 that are better than 98% of those
teachers. I look for the other 2% and not the money involved.

It's never about the money on either side.

houstonwriter.c
10-02-2004, 07:07 PM
Over $100/mo.

SimonM
10-03-2004, 02:40 PM
$75

SPJ
10-03-2004, 03:00 PM
The current rate is usually 15 $ per session lasting 1 h to 1.5 h.

They usually require commitment of 4 to 6 months.

If you pay a monthly fee, there are unlimited classes. But the class courses are repeated within the same month.

Luckily, I never really paid for my lessons.

I joined the Kuo Shu club. There was only membership fee which was only a token money to cover some food and equipments. The teachers are paid by the public schools.

For private lessons, I only have to commit certain number of hours per week for the teacher. There was no fee.

But I have to show earnest effort and genuine interests to be worthy of the teacher's time.

I think something is more important than the money in the old days.

In fact, if you are admitted as the disciple, the teacher paid your room and board.

:)

Brad
10-03-2004, 05:02 PM
about $10/hour

maoshan
10-04-2004, 07:59 AM
Peace

I charge $100 a month for 10hrs a week (3 classes).

Maoshan

One Finger Zen
10-07-2004, 02:15 AM
Too true SPJ, my teacher teaches me hung kuen for free.

I practice everyday so his efforts and generosity don't go to waste. He said he didn't want any money for teaching me, just for me to train hard and pass on the style. He is a firm believer in passing knowledge and the arts on to people worthy of character for free.

peace, OFZ

SimonM
10-20-2004, 08:11 AM
Than you need to work on your attention span. Thanks to a merciless work and school schedule it is rare that I get to go to the kwoon for three hours in a day but the few times I have have been some of my most productive classes.

If you need to work on keeping concentration over an extended period might I suggest sitting meditation?

ngokfei
10-20-2004, 09:33 AM
I've paid 0 to almost $200.

For group classes I charge $20 a session (1hr)

For private it ranges from $25-$50 (1hr) based on the material

One Finger Zen
10-20-2004, 09:33 AM
Hello Ego,

the thing is, my teacher only has two indoor disciples, me and my Gongfu brother. So, really, theres not really any need for him to ask for money. I have offered many a time, but he refuses and says that he is teaching me out of friendship.

Plus my teacher teaches other people Chen style taijiquan so he gets a lot of his income from this. Hope your questions have been answered. :)

He only teaches me and my brother for about 1 hour every Saturday evening and i practice every day so a lot of the training is done by myself and with my gongfu brother.

I'm working on the Fu-hok seung ying kuen at the moment and have been for the past 6 months. I probably expect another year of dedicated training and I should be up to a reasonable standard. It's not like some schools where you learn a form in 4 months. the time spent on forms really pays off.

OFZ, Peeeeeeeeeace

P.S. I don't call my teacher Sifu because he's a friend and doesn't want me to call him by that title.

maoshan
10-20-2004, 10:32 AM
Peace

Ego

(10hrs of training a week is plenty! What do you do in classes that take up 3hrs. I would lose concentration if the lesson goes for more than 2hrs.)

I do not believe that you can get much from 2 classes at 1hr per week. My training is hard and meticulous because my standard is high. Hardcore is what I call it. As I see it this gives me more than enough time to make corrections as well as know that they have put enough time into what ever they are training. 2hrs a week?
That’s dabbling to me, and there is nothing commercial about me. Hell I’ve calmed down.
I used to teach 7 days a week, 6-10 M-F, 8hrs Sat, 6hrs Sunday.
I teach for results and I get them with my method.
Gaining skill is hard work and that won’t happen at two hours a week I don’t care how much you wish for it.

Maoshan

doug maverick
10-20-2004, 01:28 PM
i trained in xing yi for three years for free with my sifu, he is my god father, and trained me every day for 4 hour so maoshans three hours classes sound great, when comes to internal you need that much time to really train the skill, it took to hour just to do santi and nei gung then two hour of pi chuan(for the first year)
teachers who teach for free give there time so you should train harder the you've ever trained before.

Enforcer-
10-20-2004, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by maoshan
Peace

Ego

(10hrs of training a week is plenty! What do you do in classes that take up 3hrs. I would lose concentration if the lesson goes for more than 2hrs.)

I do not believe that you can get much from 2 classes at 1hr per week. My training is hard and meticulous because my standard is high. Hardcore is what I call it. As I see it this gives me more than enough time to make corrections as well as know that they have put enough time into what ever they are training. 2hrs a week?
That’s dabbling to me, and there is nothing commercial about me. Hell I’ve calmed down.
I used to teach 7 days a week, 6-10 M-F, 8hrs Sat, 6hrs Sunday.
I teach for results and I get them with my method.
Gaining skill is hard work and that won’t happen at two hours a week I don’t care how much you wish for it.

Maoshan

I think he meant to spread the classes out more. meaning have the 10 hours but spread it out more than 2 days.

doug maverick
10-21-2004, 10:07 AM
internal kung fu, does take a long time to train. people like you who have little regard for there training is the reason why there is not to many good internal stylist. you must under stand that only through long hour of training can understand the techniques, my sifu use to make me spar against all defferent types of styles, i would only i allowed to use whatever element i was training(pi,tsuan,beng etc), i wouldn't have been able to cope if not for 4 hour training sessions!!!! the harder you train the more you get out of that hard training.

omarthefish
10-21-2004, 08:07 PM
14 hours/week is nothing.

I hang my head in shame at doing 14 hours/week. (actually pretty typical for me these days)

I try to get up before sunrise every morning to do my circle walking. That is a minumum of 1 hour right there. (7 hours/week) but my standard time is more like 1.5 hours. (10.5 hours/week) and that's without having even done any forms, techniques, drills, bagwork or any other training at all.

If I get up in the morning and walk the circle for an hour and a half before work and then take as little as half an hour to work on some basics during my lunch break or in the afternoon when I get home...that's 2 hours/day (14 hours/week) right there and I haven't even done a single real true workout.

A good day is at least 3 hours. That would be 1.5 hours on the circle and then another 1.5 hours on Baji. Last sunday I put in 4 hours, not including the 40 minute bike ride to my lesson and then another 40 minutes back home.

I am not trying to sound like Mr. Toughguy though. I am generally embarrassed to admit how LITTLE I train. It is only because I often miss days or otherwise break my rythmn. I also am comparing myself to what I KNOW really is required to have any real achievement. It you just think it's fun and enjoy your hobby, then 1.5 hours, 3 days/week is pretty good. It will keep you healthy and you will make steady progress. But if you want ot have the kind of skill it takes to take on even the most mediocre of MMA fighters then you need to put in comprable time. There are no shortcuts.

I also remember when I thought 20 hours of training in a week seemed like and ungodly amount and 14 hours seemed **** impressive. Now that I have climbed up, little by little to a 14 hour training week, it seems to me that 20 should be standard. But it just takes time to establish the lifestyle. The biggest challenge for me is just psychological.

Anyways, as for the official topic...

What SPJ said. Some old guys are more concerned about preserving the art than making bucks off it. I know the bills have to be paid but in my case, my teacher is retired. He teaches outdoors. His various students make frequent gifts. We take him out to meals and on holidays or his birthday give him some cash. But it's all up to us. The main thing he asks of me is that I train hard and don't make him lose face.

omarthefish
10-22-2004, 09:32 AM
Most people watch more than 14 hours of TV every week.

I don't even have the antennae hooked up.

The biggest, bestest bunch of time for training is 4:30 or 5:00 am untill about 7:00. So far, I almost never have social activities planned for that time of day.

I also don't work a 40 hour week. As a reseult, I am really really poor. But I am doing what I like.

But seriously, for someone who is not prepared to quit their job and move to another country, give up partying, discos, marijuana and bar hopping....I just mentioned 2 simple things that anyone can do if they want to bad enough.

1. Give up TV. It's not worth it. ....that should give most people at least an extra 8-10 hours of free time per week.

2. Get up at 5:00 am or earlier every day. That's another 14 hours of spare time right there.

And that, in a nutshell is why now, even if I put in 14 hours in a week, I hold my head in shame. Theoreticallu I could put in 14 hours per week using just my mornings if I was more disciplined about it. Add in my 4 hour workout on sunday and the 2 hours in the afternoon I SHOULD be putting in on Saturday and that's 20 hours right there! Then add in just one hour a day during my work week. and that brings the total up to 25 hour/week.

The time is all there. I just lack the discipline. . . so far. But I like the trend. 5 years ago I was excited to put in over 10 hours on a good week. Now a good week is at least 15. So that's progress.

omarthefish
10-22-2004, 07:53 PM
Not that hard core.

If it is, then those peasants I see out there on the road at 5:00 am making noodles and steamed dumplings for the 6:00 crowd are the real hard core ones.

I guess old folks are hard core too since they seems to get up before sunrise a lot as well. lol

I get up anywhere from 4:00 - 5:00 am. My goal every day is 4:00 am but I only succeed maybe 3-4 times/week. Basically as long as I am out the door by 5:00 I'm happy.

On my "hadest core" days I get up at 4:00, make myselfs a cup of instant coffee and go online as I slowly steel myself for the bike ride. If I head out the door much earlier than 5:15 The park doors won't be open. Just to find time for training getting up by 1/4 to 5 is enough but my Shifu says that getting up at 4:00 is good for you. It's a kind of discipline. Like showering with cold water. Shifu say that real atheletes don't shower with hot water. (slightly tongue in cheek here.) But to a degree, its' true. Showering with cold water even in the wintertime makes you tough.

If the habit is built slowly then it's not "hard core". It's just a lifestyle.

Ego_Extrodinaire
10-23-2004, 07:29 AM
I clean men's jock straps.

ngokfei
10-23-2004, 08:57 PM
wow such dedicated individuals here.

wonder how you find time to post here or even (heh, heh) have a life.

you take yourselves too seriously.

Enjoy it, thats all.

One Finger Zen
10-24-2004, 11:09 AM
You'll know that if you have a job other than teaching the martial arts how hard it is to fit training into your schedule without locking yourself away from the outside world by not going to social events.

I just try hard when i do train and enjoy those moments when you can do some quality training.

Hey, thats life :D (cooooooooorny)

Peeeeeeeace, OFZ

omarthefish
10-24-2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by ngokfei
wow such dedicated individuals here.

wonder how you find time to post here or even (heh, heh) have a life.

you take yourselves too seriously.

Enjoy it, thats all.

I get nervous when my post count goes up to but "seriously" . . . this IS my life. I quit my job got rid of my belongings and moved to China about 5 years ago. I'm not a professional teacher but .. . well I'm an ENGLISH teacher :rolleyes: but I plan on being one eventually.

Social life? Pretty limited but peasant enough. I decided one day that training well was more important than discos. Plus, going to see Shifu counts as a social life. We train in the park in the morning. I goof off a little bit with his 10 year old grandson. I chat with the other folks who show up at the park. Afterwords we all go our for brunch. On holidays there is my GF's family and my Shifu's family. I get a hell of a lot of social interaction with my English students too. My GF is a very private person and I find I really don't need a big circle of friends. Best of all, recently we've started going to the soccer field to train together. She doesn't do gong fu but she likes to run a few laps and then walk when she gets too tired.

It's a nice walk to the soccer field and on the way back we go through the more lively part of the college nightlife, shopping, street vendors etc.

Trying to "tough it out" and "make sacrifices" has never worked for me. I wish I learned this years ago. By now I would be a FAR more skilled martial artist. There's no real need for MA skill in a modern society. There's no real financial future either for the most part. You should be training because you love this stuff.

Once you make the decision that this is what you 'do'....then it's just a matter of scheduling your time and little by little, adjusting your lifestyle. Go to bed a little earlier. Drink less and ease up on the reefer... (these things increase your need for sleep)

I really try to stay away from "hardcore!!!" mentality.

Just doing what I like to be doing.