PDA

View Full Version : Students of Fan Xu Dong

FEELERSTRIKE
09-30-2004, 11:35 AM
How many graduate students did the great master Fan Xu Dong have and who were they ?

Laviathan
10-02-2004, 04:17 AM
Fan Xudong had many students, but only nine of them were considered disciples. They were:

1. Zhao Liangfu (Eldest disciple, nicknamed "Fan Xudong the Second")

2. Lin Jingshan (Best in Iron Palm of all of Fan's students)

3. Yang Weixin

4. Luo Guangyu

5. Xiao Shubin

6. Zhang Youde

7. Wang Chuanyi

8. Guo Jialu

9. Liu Yongchang

Information taken from A Discourse on the History of Praying Mantis Boxing in China for the last one hundred years by Mr. Wong Hon-Chiu.

FEELERSTRIKE
10-04-2004, 02:41 PM
Many thanks , the book sounds good , is it worth getting ? Does it cover all Tang Lang branches ?

Laviathan
10-05-2004, 04:57 AM
You're welcome.

The book deals with Seven Star Praying Mantis of Luo Guangyu only, and concentrates on the history of Luo's school in Hongkong. It is a very good book, but it would have been more appropriate if it was titled "A Discourse on the History of Seven Star Praying Mantis in Hongkong for the last one hundred years".

MantisifuFW
10-05-2004, 12:28 PM
FS,

The book does indeed concentrate on HK years and development. However, for those of us from that lineage, it is a goldmine of information and what seems to be objective research into its narrow area of focus. I found that the book offered some historical information that I had been missing and/ or had been represented differently to me. It is a shame that it is available only in Chinese but I guess thats one more reason why Tanglang practitioners should learn to read the language.

My .02USD worth,
Steve Cottrell

MantisCool
10-05-2004, 09:21 PM
The writer is not totally wrong because Hong Kong is always a part of China and even so now!

Maybe a more appropriate title would be "A Discourse on the History of Luo Kwong Yu's Seven Star Praying Mantis in China for the last one hundred years".:D