PDA

View Full Version : what are your quals??????

blooming lotus
09-30-2004, 08:28 PM
Been having a few discussions recently between ppl who've learnt, ppl who claim knowlege yet admit they haven't, and ppl who justy want to learn from what ever they can glean.

So what are your quals folks??

Where, how long and in what???

B

SPJ
10-01-2004, 07:38 AM
I think most of the people are students who like to learn something more.

Some have something to say.

Some are posting what they know best.

Some are posting to inform and help a little.

Some--

Some just want to be participants.

If you mention qual, a lot of folks or students will be silenced.

A lot of good teachers, not bothered to mention.

If you practice something long enough, you may have your understanding.

If you recite the classics and try to understand them via your practice, then you have some knowledge.

In short, if you have some interests in Kung Fu, beginner or seasoned practitioner, every body has qual to post.

It is my qual to shut up now.

:D

SPJ
10-01-2004, 07:46 AM
Once I was asked what is my favorite book about Wushu.

Here is the link.

http://www.eze33.com/war/war.htm

Both I read them in Chinese. It is so weird to read in English.

I used to recite Sun Tzu 13 Chapters and over 6000 words.

Most of my teachers passed away.

Nobody is asking me to recite them any more.

Anyway.

It is said, Sun Tzu studied with a teacher and recited Tai Gong Bin Fa and Yellow Emperor's (Wo Qi Jing).

He was young and the first 4 words he wrote on a bamboo stick were San Bin Fa Mo.

Which means the best military move is to win by strategy.

With no soldier, you win.

With a few soldiers, you win.

With a greater number of men, of course you win.

How?

By using strategy.

These 4 words became 13 chapters in the most famous military sutra (Bin Su) in the world.

Yap, yap, I have to resume reciting them.

SPJ
10-01-2004, 07:52 AM
You are welcome to discuss any sentence in Sun Tzu.

Personally, Sun Tzu or Sun Wu or Sun Chan Qing.

His favorite books are Zhou Yi (Book of Change) and Lao Tzu's Dao De Jing (5000 words).

Zhou Yi is to learn how to change.

DDJ is to know Bin Xing.

Bin Xing, Bin Shi, Jun Xing, Jun Shi, Di Xing and Di Shi are important chapters.

Su Tzu Bin Fa was written for generals in the battlefield.

At that time, the text was written on bamboo sticks and tightened up with ropes. It is called Zhu Jian.

STBF was written many and many pages and then condensed to 6000 words. So that it may travel easily and lightly for generals in the field 2500 years ago in China.

blooming lotus
10-02-2004, 12:22 AM
firstly spj. hard core down and out wondering how to get through each new day with d*ck $$ and business to take care of, so drinking a lil more daily intake than perhaps is necc.....but to turn this thread into something ch'an is salutable offence so my hat's off ( if I was ever going to wear one ! ) ;) :P :):)

I'm going to sober up ( despite the alcho comments I'll no doubt get and couldn't today nor tommorow give half a poop about ) and doing a rehash.

cheers dude.

you're a constant source of sanity, and I dig it!

B

try getting a zone of death greeting on , and having your own momma beg you to ride limbo for 4 goddammed freakin weeks with lil prospect!!!!!!!!

cheers spj...owe you a lui cha and a meal min :p :o :) :cool:

Becca
10-02-2004, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by blooming lotus
firstly spj. hard core down and out wondering how to get through each new day with d*ck $$ and business to take care of, so drinking a lil more daily intake than perhaps is necc.....but to turn this thread into something ch'an is salutable offence so my hat's off ( if I was ever going to wear one ! ) ;) :P :):)

I'm going to sober up ( despite the alcho comments I'll no doubt get and couldn't today nor tommorow give half a poop about ) and doing a rehash.

cheers dude.

you're a constant source of sanity, and I dig it!

B

try getting a zone of death greeting on , and having your own momma beg you to ride limbo for 4 goddammed freakin weeks with lil prospect!!!!!!!!

cheers spj...owe you a lui cha and a meal min :p :o :) :cool:
I like you. Really. But bragging about your alcaholism isn't cool, sis. We all have cr@ppy lives. We come here to argue about stuff totally unrelated to our miserable little lives. It helps to relieve the emotional stress and gives a boost of brain food for our otherwise listless minds to knaw on for a few minutes.

I understand where you're comming from. Most of these bozos don't, and don't want to. Letting them know the finer details is just asking for'em to flame you. They are guys. They get a kick out of saying things designed only to get you ranting. Don't fall for it!

Besides, It'd be funny to watch'em bait you and be stumped when they can't sucker you.;) :D

Becca

Serpent
10-02-2004, 03:29 AM
Woah, open a window! It stinks of oestrogen in here!

Becca
10-02-2004, 03:30 AM
Just where did you put you face to get a wiff of that?

BentMonk
10-02-2004, 05:08 AM
Originally posted by Becca
Just where did you put you face to get a wiff of that?

:D Funny stuff.

blooming lotus
10-02-2004, 05:15 AM
No life is great ........... I just don't think I'm going to live to to see much more of it , and to be honest, I have nothing to hide anyway. The ego boosting face saving thing , the boys can keep. I'm just going to go ahead and share my experience as it happens. On that note, if I stop posting in few days, that'll more than likely explain it;)

cheers

Toby
10-02-2004, 07:17 AM
No life is great ...Mine is. I'm thankful for every day I get.

ShaolinTiger00
10-02-2004, 07:38 AM
my qualifications to give advice?

that's a fair question I suppose.. I hope you'll do the same.

folkstyle wrestling: - k thru college.

boxing: taught by my father and grandfather who were mid west golden gloves champs. came back to boxing in the military and boxed at Camp Lejeune. during the same time I got interested in american kickboxing and pursued it to a small degree.

Kungfu: 1990-1999 Shaolin Longfist, JowGa, Chen taiji and qigong.

San Shou: Started in 1996 after watching the 1995 world championship. fought in practically every tournament in the country at the time and fought and trained with fighters like Julio Trujilo, Dan Garret, Aaron Honeycutt. moved away from my team in 1999, but have recently rejoined a team and have begun training to fight again under TLI.

Judo: 3+ years and continuing. competing regularly. sankyu rank. currently training under South Korean national champion and 2000 Olympic alternate.

BJJ: 3+ years and continuing (TLI). blue belt

MMA: training 6 mo. under Team Lloyd Irvin

Muay thai: 6 mo. under TLI

SPJ
10-02-2004, 07:40 AM
BL;

The first post is asking about qual, how long and what?

If you read the biography of Sun Tzu, which is thought to be the generals of all generals.

It took him a whole life of study, playing chess of the 19 lines, Yin Yang 361 changes, think the think, walk the walk, fight the fight, ---

He has the qual and write the Bin Su.

I was trying to tell a story about him and his qual.

Peace.

I like general Guang Gong, Bismark, Winston Churchill, and many more.

Read any bio's and their qual's???

:)

Shaolinlueb
10-02-2004, 08:28 AM
qual????? whast that?

MonkeySlap Too
10-02-2004, 09:09 AM
Aaron Honeycutt - man I reffed him in a Shuai chiao competition and helped score his BB test CSC. The guys a stellar athlete and a really, really nice guy. Had a long chat at the after party discussing fight strategy. Despite his skill and ability, he was all about the learning...

What ever happened to that guy?

ShaolinTiger00
10-02-2004, 11:55 AM
What ever happened to that guy?

Aaron is still around. He lives in southern Maryland now and he still visits my old training buddies. Last time we spoke he was coaching boxing in a local gym.

Aaron is a good guy and he taught me alot about the mental toughness.

blooming lotus
10-02-2004, 08:48 PM
spj :- I was referring to qual as qualification but because of the unexpected ch'an tangent ( which I'm loving) , quality , I'll accept as well.

Self, I 've done medititaional jazz including most branches and instructional certs for as long as I can remember. Particularly after my father spoke to me about flo - jo ( Florence Griffith Joiner) while I was working my 12 hr training days and how she worked so hard , she died of a heart attack because without meditation her heart never had a chance to regain its' rest rate . I have this great pic of me when I was about 4 on the beach with my dad, only 5 ish yrs out of olympic longdistance qualifying and If I had a scanner , I'd love to share that, great protege / mentor time in still ;) , since then I've trained with him, studied and trained non-stop in all facets of health and fitness and related academia. Unfortunately or not the guy is a hard core dogmatic catholic, but never really been one for blind faith myself , so I started questioning and found buddhism. took up self defence , particularly boxing followed closely by grapplling / wrestling western styles and later to proceed chinese style .

my health and fitness quest come best training pursuits brought me to gongfu and kfm . com , my buddhism / philosophical searching brought me to shaolin and concurrently to former Gene Ching. his sexual unertone brought me to seek some varification of earnestness and together it all brought me to China.

I just wanted to know someone else felt and interperated it the way I was and I found it in way of the songshan nuns, so as much as I don't particularly want to die, If I did, I'd more than likely rest peacefully knowing I found practice meeting belief somewhere besides my own crazy mind.

cheers truth seekers ;)

cerebus
10-02-2004, 09:02 PM
"meditational jazz"
So now you're a musician too? :D :D :D

Is it anything like improvisational jazz?:p

Serpent
10-02-2004, 09:12 PM
I just wanted to know someone else felt and interperated it the way I was and I found it in way of the songshan nuns, so as much as I don't particularly want to die, If I did, I'd more than likely rest peacefully knowing I found practice meeting belief somewhere besides my own crazy mind.

So you finally admit that you're crazy. Phew!

blooming lotus
10-02-2004, 09:12 PM
crazy as the next chick for sure.........

;) :p :cool:

cerebus
10-02-2004, 09:13 PM
:D :D :D :D :D

MonkeySlap Too
10-02-2004, 09:42 PM
Could somebody translate that for me?

blooming lotus
10-02-2004, 09:44 PM
sure .

I'm crazy compared to most men, and so are most chicks you'll ever meet ;) :cool:

if in doubt pls see pms/t

cerebus
10-02-2004, 09:45 PM
Sorry, I just misplaced by Lunatic to English dictionary. We've been struggling with her weirdness and lack of sense since she came here.

blooming lotus
10-02-2004, 09:46 PM
don't know many chicks ha???

well okay we understand........

not alone though pls see venus vs mars as a best seller and drag out your old copy ;) :P

Mr Punch
10-03-2004, 12:43 AM
my health and fitness quest come best training pursuits brought me to gongfu and kfm . com , my buddhism / philosophical searching brought me to shaolin and concurrently to former Gene Ching. his sexual unertone brought me to seek some varification of earnestness and together it all brought me to China.

cheers truth seekers ;) I'm seeking the truth: can someone who speaks Lotusese tell me what in the Sweet Holy Temple of F*ck the above means?

Who is 'the former Gene Ching'? And who is he now? And, and ann a ahhhhh WTF!!!?

blooming lotus
10-03-2004, 05:11 AM
Gene Ching as in relation to the former comment :rolleyes:

you're right though , I should've said

" the former to Gene Ching "

the rest I think you can figure for yourself .

cheers

Mr Punch
10-03-2004, 07:07 AM
the rest I think you can figure for yourself . Now you're overestimating me :D... or underestimating your gibberish!!! :D

SPJ
10-03-2004, 07:29 AM
What she tried to say or I think what she tried to say.

She is interested in fitness and health.

She has some training since young.

She was intrigued by KF and chan.

She persued both so she went to China and is actively seeking her quest.

That also brought her to the forum.

In short, she has intense interests in Kung Fu and Chan no less than any other girl or boy on this board.

I was very much impressed by her genuine interests and daily diligent posting on the board.

Some training, and intense interests are more than enough qual's.

MonkeySlap Too
10-03-2004, 08:40 AM
Oh man SPJ, you ARE good...

BL - I've known plenty of women - never ran into the subject/predicate issues you exhibit... having a different copus collusum and hormone mix doesn't mean you can't be coherent. Often woman can be more articulate than men because of thier differences.

FWIW, the guy that wrote "Venus and Mars" isn't a real PHD, he got his degree from an unacredited diploma mill. Doesn't mean what he says is without merit, but worth consideration in regards to his veracity - he chose to put the false credential on his work. His "quals" if you will.

SevenStar
10-03-2004, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by MonkeySlap Too
Oh man SPJ, you ARE good...

BL - I've known plenty of women - never ran into the subject/predicate issues you exhibit... having a different copus collusum and hormone mix doesn't mean you can't be coherent. Often woman can be more articulate than men because of thier differences.

lol, you haven't seen anything yet. You have got to see the thread on how she disputed the proper usage of the apostrophe!

blooming lotus
10-03-2004, 07:11 PM
and produced links to support my usage !!! :rolleyes:

look boys, you'll likely never get how my hardships brought mehere and to gene, and how his sexual bs ( while I was looking for spiritual solice) brought me to desire confirmation of integrity and consequentially to a china I can't leave from. So I'm going to leave this here and wish you all well on your own paths............

cheers and dharma

BL

cerebus
10-03-2004, 07:29 PM
What's the word for this again? Oh yeah, deja vu (or bullsh!t, whichever you prefer). We've all heard the "I'm leaving now" story but we've yet to see it happen. :p

blooming lotus
10-03-2004, 07:31 PM
I told you, if I ever I ever get home , you'll be lucky( or sad ) to not hear from me again ( besides when you're reading my book and wishing to chat ;) )

spAZ!!

Ps: I don't know what you think you have, but I don't want any of it , ..unless you're stepping for a spar that is ;) :rolleyes: :cool:

cerebus
10-03-2004, 07:36 PM
Reading your book? I can barely comprehend your posts. :p

As for what I've got "martial arts-wise", no you really don't want any of it. It involves long hours of hard work and steady commitment to the same instructors for a period of several years at a time. It involves real knowledge and the development of real skill (and requires full contact sparring). No, you really do NOT want any of it. ;)

Serpent
10-03-2004, 07:55 PM

No you didn't.

blooming lotus
10-03-2004, 08:01 PM
yes I did !! but if you ignored it, and lost the plot on it, I totally understand that !! ;)

Cerebus, oh. you mean as oppsed to training 12 hr days, plus studying and getting as much cross - board knowlege as you can find!! Dong. got it! ;) ;) :rolleyes: :p :D

Ps: if you're sparring, yah i want it!!!!!!!!!!!! ......,and I'll take an order of the nxt commer on the side thx........... no fries. ;)

Toby
10-03-2004, 08:29 PM
and produced links to support my usage !!!No, you didn't. But keep up the pretense anyway. Maybe there is one forum reader left who hasn't heard your 'logicising" on correct apostrophe usage - wouldn't want them to miss the joke that is you.

blooming lotus
10-03-2004, 08:32 PM
:mad: :mad:

ignore it, and put your finger ears , crying " it's not real... it's not real!!!!!!"

how you doing this morn yourself Tobes? :p :D :D :rolleyes:

Toby
10-03-2004, 08:44 PM
ignore it, and put your finger ears , crying " it's not real... it's not real!!!!!!"I've tried, but you keep posting. Oh - you mean the apostrophe thing? I think I'll put my faith in the dictionary over your logicising thanks.

how you doing this morn yourself Tobes? :p :D :D :rolleyes: I'm fine thanks. And you?

blooming lotus
10-03-2004, 08:46 PM
I gave you dictionary on the apostrophes !!!!!!!! :mad: :confused: :rolleyes:

Serpent
10-03-2004, 08:51 PM
I gave you dictionary on the apostrophes !!!!!!!! :mad: :confused: :rolleyes:
No, you didn't! You sent me a link via pm that actually backed up our argument on the apostrophe and not yours. When I questioned you about that by pm and on the public board you neglected to clarify.

blooming lotus
10-03-2004, 08:58 PM
you asked me not to pm you.. what d'you want me to disrespect your wishes??? Everyone else got the link!!!

Toby
10-03-2004, 09:01 PM
Reference 1 (http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=516037#post516037). Another (http://www.tiscali.co.uk/reference/dictionaries/english/data/d0081566.html). Another (http://www.bartleby.com/59/7/apostrophe.html). Another (http://www.webster-dictionary.org/definition/apostrophe). Another (http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/entry/apostrophe). Another (http://www.yourdictionary.com/ahd/a/a0372700.html). I could probably keep finding links ad nauseum, but it makes no difference - you refuse to learn for some bizarre reason.

cerebus
10-03-2004, 09:01 PM
Yes, we all saw the link. And it confirmed what we had been trying to tell you and demonstrated that YOU were wrong. You, however, denied it and said we just didn't look far enough in the link. :rolleyes:

Toby
10-03-2004, 09:08 PM
*Flogs dead horse*

Your "link" was posted by Serpent in the Tibetan Qigong thread. Here were the most relevant lines:

"Helen's laugh
Charles' cooking"

You jumped on "Charles' cooking" because that apparently proved your case :rolleyes:. I then informed you that words that end in "s" have the apostrophe after the "s" when pluralising (sp?). I then asked you to explain "Helen's laugh", which you couldn't. Kind of undermined your argument. "Helen is laugh"? "Helen was laugh"? Or "The laugh of Helen", i.e. "Helen's laugh"?

blooming lotus
10-03-2004, 09:09 PM
or at the wrong one. I already told you, there are two sides to every story and usually you'll find a link or 5 on each, but 1 plays 100 for rescource link is xingku, and right now, and previously and maybe even for a bit more, I'm just a little busy! ;)

cerebus
10-03-2004, 09:15 PM
As always, when she's losing a discussion, she gets "a little busy". No time to talk now! LOL!!!

And yes, there are as you say, 2 sides to this matter. There is right and there is you. And no, there aren't any links to support your claim.

Toby
10-03-2004, 09:21 PM
So you're saying that every dictionary link I show you, plus the Concise Oxford Dictionary 10th Ed that I once referenced are all wrong? You think it's a global conspiracy of people trying to trick you into believing possessive apostrophe usage exists?

cerebus
10-03-2004, 09:30 PM
That about sums it up! :p :p

Ego_Extrodinaire
10-03-2004, 09:48 PM
Toby,

Apostrophies can be used in a variety of ways. As long as the meaning gets across, it shouldn't matter so much as how it's used. If it's passive, possessive etc. shouldn't really matter. Afterall, language used on the net can be somewhat different to other written media. There is so much abreviations like OMG, BTW, IMO etc, that we are the active creator of rules as opposed to followrers of rules. So I agree with what BL had to say.

cerebus
10-03-2004, 09:54 PM
Of course you agree with what bl had to say. You agree with everything she says no matter how incorrect. But then you also have your nose up her butt like the little puppy dog you are.

Toby
10-03-2004, 10:10 PM
You're a crappy troll, Kelvin.

SevenStar
10-03-2004, 11:15 PM

look boys, you'll likely never get how my hardships brought mehere and to gene, and how his sexual bs ( while I was looking for spiritual solice) brought me to desire confirmation of integrity and consequentially to a china I can't leave from. So I'm going to leave this here and wish you all well on your own paths............

cheers and dharma

BL

no, you didn't.

Mr Punch
10-04-2004, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by Ego_Extrodinaire
Apostrophies can be used in a variety of ways... So I agree with what BL had to say. Coming from another semi-literate know-it-all.

Nobody's arguing that the net doesn't have its own jargon, which is maybe a valid literary form in its own right and certainly a valid communication tools. However BL was arguing (and teaching 'her kids' and 'her university' students) that the apostrophe was only used as an abbreviation of 'is' and some utter bollocks which I've forgotten about the placement of the apostrophe in the possessive. It was completely wrong, and proven so by Toby and myself and Ironfist and Serpent and several others who are usually not overly anti-Lotus with logic, examples and links to dictionary pages, grammar pages and real books.

So don't just jump in and defend something unless you've bothered to read the background and know what you're defending.

Kaitain(UK)
10-04-2004, 05:30 AM
BL - where do you get the idea that there are two sides to everything? When dealing with anything that has rules (grammar) you will usually find that there is correct and incorrect. You have been given evidence from a variety of credible sources that proves you are wrong. Find _one_single_credible_source (a dictionary for example) that supports your point of view. I could go as far as to say BL's point of view. That's the possesive use, whereas in this sentence I am using the contractive use. See? It's easy.

Ego - Grammar and punctuation provide the meaning behind the words we use. Disregarding punctuation, or deciding that it can mean whatever you feel like, lead to a morass of confusion and obfuscated meaning. Anyone who has an interest in correctly conveying their meaning to another must use the rules of English grammar. BL should know this having studied NLP - the responsibility for the meaning of any communication lays entirely with the person communicating.

Goldenmane
10-04-2004, 05:49 AM
It was completely wrong, and proven so by Toby and myself and Ironfist and Serpent and several others who are usually not overly anti-Lotus with logic, examples and links to dictionary pages, grammar pages and real books.

I think I'm included in there somewhere.

Wasn't overtly anti-bl to begin with. Hell, still not anti-bl.... just anti-bl-bs.

I do have an editor, and I do publish at least one article a fortnight. Sometimes I have typoes (sp? how does one spell the plural of typo?) but I am a professional writer who doesn't get picked up on too many of them.

And for the record, I drink much more than bl says that she does. Also for the record, I've been "classed" as a "genius" (see, I can spell it even...) since I was a kid. Means sweet naff all. Whoopdeefrickindoo.

I never got an offer from Ralph to model for them for $10000 though.

(Incidentally, to relate this to kung fu, or at least the MAs.. anyone seen the Nov. '04 issue of Ralph? It has a couple of vaguely interesting articles in it.)

David Jamieson
10-04-2004, 06:04 AM
omg, when did this forum turn into a gathering of raging grammarians?!

I thought it was bad etiquette to argue grammar in a forum?

lol:p

Ego_Extrodinaire
10-04-2004, 06:18 AM
Mat / Kaitain(UK)

The English language is evolving and the use of apostrographics is the least of the many inconsistencies with spelling and pronounciation. Whether the dash is placed before or after the s or somewhere in between the word, should be ok in terms of bringing the information across to the reader. You can work out what the meaning in the broader context of the text / article.

Kaitain(UK)
10-04-2004, 06:39 AM
Yes, the English language is constantly evolving. No, that doesn't mean that it is ok to make mistakes. It certainly doesn't make it ok to make mistakes, insist that your mistakes are the correct way, and consistently ignore and refute evidence that is presented that proves that you have made a mistake.

If you have something worth saying, then it is incumbent upon you to say it in a manner that is easily understood, unambiguous and clear in it's presentation.

I don't pick up on people's grammar on this or any other forum (except on www.anal-grammar.com/forums) - when someone puts forward a clearly incorrect interpretation of the correct use for an apostrophe, then it is acceptable to point out that they are wrong rather than allow the propogation of ignorance.

Everyone makes mistakes, the trick is in wanting to correct oneself when the mistakes are pointed out. E.g. my girlfriend pointed out that I say "I look forwards to meeting you" instead of "I look forward to meeting you". I could have either blithely continued in my ignorance, or I could have corrected myself. I chose the latter. I take the same attitude to everything I do - if something is wrong, correct it.

Ego_Extrodinaire
10-04-2004, 06:44 AM
Kaitain(UK),

Sometimes it is due to typo or laziness, but most of the time I don't go back to read what i've written before hitting the submit button. Me being smart and everything else that goes with it, my thoughts travel much faster than my typing speed and I may miss bits here and there, but you get the meaning anyway.

Kaitain(UK)
10-04-2004, 06:50 AM
It's funny - with everything I see you write, I'd have thought the thoughts that went into the words were few and far between. You should have plenty of time to spell correctly.

David Jamieson
10-04-2004, 06:59 AM
let's not forget that time is the essence in posting sometimes, which in turn leads to poor grammar. If need be, a person can edit later for clarification.

and...sausage fingers. (d is right next to s)

Goldenmane
10-04-2004, 07:06 AM
Sometimes it is due to typo or laziness, but most of the time I don't go back to read what i've written before hitting the submit button. Me being smart and everything else that goes with it, my thoughts travel much faster than my typing speed and I may miss bits here and there, but you get the meaning anyway.

I call shenanigans.

If you're too lazy to go back and check that what you're saying is what you mean, then get over yourself and hush up.

I'm guilty of screwing up on that myself, I admit, when I've been drinking more than is compatible with thought. It doesn't really excuse it, though.

FatherDog
10-04-2004, 08:06 AM
http://www.angryflower.com/bobsqu.gif

GeneChing
10-04-2004, 09:08 AM
my health and fitness quest come best training pursuits brought me to gongfu and kfm . com , my buddhism / philosophical searching brought me to shaolin and concurrently to former Gene Ching. his sexual unertone brought me to seek some varification of earnestness and together it all brought me to China. It's all about the "sexual unertone". That's my hard sell for Shaolin Temple. Once again, it seems to have worked. ;)

BL has been playing the 'sex card' with me a lot lately with all sorts of accusations and implications. Those that know me here, know my style. I never draw first blood. Just like that old CMA adage, I prefer to hit first, but attack last. That being said, BL's sexual accusations are of particular amusement since we've never even met. Is she putting me on trial for email rape? Move over Kobe, move over Tyson, it's time for a real celebrity sex case to take over the spotlight. ;)

Vajramusti
10-04-2004, 09:14 AM
Gene-
Is this consensual distance learning and transmission?

SPJ
10-04-2004, 09:47 AM
FD;

Cool link.

MoreMisfortune
10-04-2004, 05:26 PM
I do not know what a qual is

Serpent
10-04-2004, 05:36 PM
Qualification.

MoreMisfortune
10-04-2004, 05:39 PM
Ah I see, thank you.
I am not qualified for anything really important, just a generic loser.

MoreMisfortune
10-04-2004, 05:45 PM
Must I add, I feel a lot of hatred towards the woman on this thread. That should stop, learn to respect the diferences and the opinions of others a little more, please.

Serpent
10-04-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by MoreMisfortune
Must I add, I feel a lot of hatred towards the woman on this thread. That should stop, learn to respect the diferences and the opinions of others a little more, please.
On your third post you're telling us what to do?

MoreMisfortune
10-04-2004, 05:57 PM
No, excuse me, I said "please", therefore I was not telling you what to do, I was simply giving you a healthy sugestion and asking you to embrace it with your hearts :)

Serpent
10-04-2004, 06:27 PM
Man, you really are new here.

blooming lotus
10-04-2004, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by GeneChing
It's all about the "sexual unertone". That's my hard sell for Shaolin Temple. Once again, it seems to have worked. ;)

BL has been playing the 'sex card' with me a lot lately with all sorts of accusations and implications. Those that know me here, know my style. I never draw first blood. Just like that old CMA adage, I prefer to hit first, but attack last. That being said, BL's sexual accusations are of particular amusement since we've never even met. Is she putting me on trial for email rape? Move over Kobe, move over Tyson, it's time for a real celebrity sex case to take over the spotlight. ;)

Yes it does and you bought a yrs worth yourself!

bullsh*t Gene anyway, that's not what I'm saying at all. Firstly you did attack first, when you made the call on denial of your request for me to post that thread , and I do believe, since I have no rep here anyway, the blood was you own! ;)
I already said your inuendo and naked pic requests etc were harmless and now being taken out of context. I came to you looking for spirituality and dharma because you were a disciple of shaolin, you thought I was someone else and replied with sex this, and sex that, naked this and blah blah blah. You are right, it was a communication failure, but I think you underestimate your position to ppl who don't know much about shaolin. You are figure - head of sorts, and as it happened, over this yr and a bit, I know you to be a different pckg to what I first thought I was talking to, but it's all experience in the end and any more discussion about it has nothing to with anything else but ego.

Crux, you unbeknowst to yourself, took advantage of your position there and my spiritual vulnerablity, and as a result , you did indeed provide me dharma after all.

amitopho okay.

Toby : the links I provided myself on the grammar that doesn't even freakin matter, were from Cambridge and so forth and agreed with my usage.

Ps: to who ever asked the question about why or how do I know there are 2 sides to every story, because my friend there is a law of physics regarding action and reaction / and balance , for every point there is an opposite, then bring in some daoism and see yin / yang and balance.

I am the other side of your own coins apparently, and thx god there is enough of me to cover all your coins at once.

cheers seekers

B

Ps: 7* :- no idea what you mean?? Being you haven't read our mails and haven't really spoken to me personally and don't
really know what you're talking about, unless you want to clarify, I'm letting it drop.

peace

Moremisfortune : - qual is quality, qualification or quantity , pending whose interperating. ;)

Shaolinlueb
10-04-2004, 07:03 PM
im still trying to figure out what quals means.

Brad
10-04-2004, 07:08 PM
qualifications.

LeeCasebolt
10-04-2004, 07:22 PM
bullsh*t Gene anyway, that's not what I'm saying at all. Firstly you did attack first, when you made the call on denial of your request for me to post that thread , and I do believe, since I have no rep here anyway, the blood was you own!

Is she seriously teaching other people English?

blooming lotus
10-04-2004, 07:24 PM
fine, your own, Mr. Pedantic have nothing better to talk about

Shaolinlueb
10-04-2004, 07:40 PM
qualities huh? well if your father thinks your a f**king d*ckhead, i dont know if theres much there? but the ladies say I have nice eyes :o

blooming lotus
10-04-2004, 07:44 PM
nice eyes, definately count ;) :cool:

feral
10-04-2004, 08:26 PM
Watch out! She's spiritually vulnerable.

ShaolinTiger00
10-04-2004, 09:30 PM
man I feel like such a tool for actually answering her question..

joedoe
10-04-2004, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by ShaolinTiger00
man I feel like such a tool for actually answering her question..

LOL! Don't feel bad, just shows that you are too nice :D

Serpent
10-04-2004, 09:57 PM
Toby : the links I provided myself on the grammar that doesn't even freakin matter, were from Cambridge and so forth and agreed with my usage.

No they didn't. Say it as often as you like, but that won't make it true. You provided no links whatsoever that agreed with your usage in any way.

Just to clarify, this is from Cambridge:

Definition
apostrophe [Show phonetics]
noun [C]
1 the ' punctuation mark that shows when a letter or a number has been omitted, or is used before or after s to show possession:
I'm (= I am)
they're (= they are)
'65 (= 1965)
Helen's laugh
Charles' cooking
a baby's hand
babies' hands

2 used before s to show the plural of a number or a letter:
the 1920's
I always forget there are four s's in possession.

Where does that agree with your usage?

SPJ
10-04-2004, 10:35 PM
BL;

If you are serious about Chan study, you may frequent the library of any Buddhist temple nearby.

You may eat with the monks or nuns.

You may join their recitation of sutras, Zazen etc.

You may join their study classes or sermon (Fa Huei).

They are plenty of books, video and audio info in English you may loan out of the library.

Chan is too deep and takes a long time to study.

The forum is limited for your quest for Chan and KF study.

For KF, pick a style and stay with a good teacher for a while.

All roads lead to Rome.

Several years down the road.

---

Hm

:cool:

SPJ
10-04-2004, 10:38 PM
ST;

You have a very impressive background.

Take pride in that.

You have a lot of respects from us.

Nobody thinks otherwise.

Cheers.

Toby
10-04-2004, 11:51 PM
Toby : the links I provided myself on the grammar that doesn't even freakin matter, were from Cambridge and so forth and agreed with my usage.Bull****. This has been discussed. Nothing agreed with your usage. I can post the exact thread and posts in particular if you like.

Ps: to who ever asked the question about why or how do I know there are 2 sides to every story, because my friend there is a law of physics regarding action and reaction / and balance , for every point there is an opposite, then bring in some daoism and see yin / yang and balance.

I am the other side of your own coins apparently, and thx god there is enough of me to cover all your coins at once.Eyebrows, you are the other side of our coins. You are the wrong to our right, the incorrect to our correct. Yin and yang.

cerebus
10-04-2004, 11:57 PM
"to who ever asked the question about why or how do I know there are 2 sides to every story, because my friend there is a law of physics regarding action and reaction"

Psssst, bl. Just a clue for ya': the laws of physics don't govern the English language. Thought you might like to know that. You're welcome (yet for all the knowledge I've dispensed to her, she's never yet thanked me. Go figure. :p ).

Kaitain(UK)
10-05-2004, 12:04 AM
BL - physics 101 covers Newton's Laws (note the possessive apostrophe). Just in case you missed that class; those Laws are for objects in the physical world. Newton's Laws do not apply to ephemeral things like thoughts or writing or rules on writing.

Daoism? Please. Spiritual or philosophical teachings are now the basis for you discounting grammatical rules? I've heard of scraping the barrel before, but that's certainly a new one on me.

You really are the opposite side of the coin to most other people here:

People here seek knowledge.
You seek validation of your crackhead opinions.

People here write from a position of knowledge.
You write from a position of ill-informed and ill-formed opinions..

People here accept when they are wrong.
You don't.

People here provide evidence for their p.o.v.
You state you have evidence, tell everyone that you'll post it later, and then don't. Then you claim that you did.

With all of the above, if people here fail to do any of those things, they get called on it and they usually respond well. It's not nice being wrong, or having long-held opinions debunked, but most intelligent people prefer to know when they are wrong.
You don't.

SevenStar
10-05-2004, 12:20 AM

Ps: 7* :- no idea what you mean?? Being you haven't read our mails and haven't really spoken to me personally and don't
really know what you're talking about, unless you want to clarify, I'm letting it drop.

My "no you didn't" didn't apply to whatever you imagined happened between you and gene. It was in response to you providing links supporting your usage of the apostrophe.

cerebus
10-05-2004, 12:27 AM
Kaitain is correct. ;)

blooming lotus
10-05-2004, 03:55 AM
the laws of physics apply to the whole universe.

You can keep telling yourselves I don't know what I'm talking about despite my distinctions and test results , and it still doesn't make any of your denials or lack of understanding true. Some ppl just don't get it!

on the apostrophe that still doesn't matter :- charles' ( like there were more than one Charleses) and babies' hands both concur. Who ever offered , if you are going to persist, yes, pls do post the links.

7 * :- I think more to the point is what everyone else would like to imagine happened between Gene and myself. :rolleyes: we've both said it was innoncent play ..... get over it juvies for freaks sake!

cerebus
10-05-2004, 04:08 AM
What a loon! Yes, the laws of physics apply to the physical universe. They do NOT however have the slightest effect ON THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE you f*cking FRUIT LOOP! How is it even possible that you are getting stupider with each passing day? You're just a bottomless, black pit of utter stupidity.

"yes, pls do post the links." Oh, you mean the same links that people have posted for your lame, stupid, dumb f*cking ass about 200 times already??! You moron!

As for your twisted fantasies about what you think went on between you & Gene, YOU are the one who went on and on (and on and on and...) about it in your desperate need for attention.

"Some ppl just don't get it!"
And the sad part is you are that person. You're weak and mentally disabled. Seek professional help now before someone just runs you over in the street to make this world a better place.

blooming lotus
10-05-2004, 04:15 AM
and quantum / metaphysics are physical aswell I believe your saying??:rolleyes:

on going on and on:- I got pi*sed off and made 1 comment which you all in your desperate need for scandal, jumped all over!!

on the links :- no Cerebus, I mean the links I posted myself .

why are you such an as*hole anyway??? I'm sure you must be nice some of the time or are you just really bitter to be back in civys, or about what you saw when you weren't??

Becca
10-05-2004, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by cerebus
Psssst, bl. Just a clue for ya': the laws of physics don't govern the English language. Thought you might like to know that. You're welcome (yet for all the knowledge I've dispensed to her, she's never yet thanked me. Go figure. :p ).
I have it on very firm authority that giving pet names is a sign of respect, which could be a form of thanx. And BL's pet name for you seems to be "my personal cyber-stalker", or pretty close to that, anyway.:p

cerebus
10-05-2004, 04:25 AM
You want US to post YOUR links? As in those imaginary links you keep saying you posted, but never did? Sorry but those are locked away in the freakin' trainwreck you call your mind. They never existed in objective reality, so there's no way for us to post them. :rolleyes:

Quantum theory has many physical aspects and metaphysics isn't "physics" you dolt! It's philosophy! So perhaps you'd like to explain how ANY of those affects the English language in ANY FOCKING WAY? They don't, you stupid friggin' pig carcass!

Maybe we'll all get lucky and your plane will crash and kill you on your way back to Aus. I'm going to search Chinatown in San Fran for a practitioner of Chinese Black Magic to put a curse on your stupid azz! (As if just BEING you wasn't curse enough! :rolleyes: ).

Kaitain(UK)
10-05-2004, 05:13 AM
BL -
on the apostrophe that still doesn't matter :- charles' ( like there were more than one Charleses) and babies' hands both concur. Who ever offered , if you are going to persist, yes, pls do post the links.

http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/plurals.htm - a link that you might want to peruse at length.

It covers where your confusion probably comes from - about 3/4 of the way down there is a section entitled "Plurals and Apostrophes". You are still wrong, but at least you now have a link that shows where you picked up the mistake.

Please read it very carefully before replying - it does not indicate in any way, shape or form that you are right. There is a section further up that covers pluralisation of proper nouns (like Charles) - you'll find nothing there that supports your claim.

Lastly - the laws of physics do not apply to things like ideas, or the meaning of the written word. They do not have PHYSICal substance, therefore PHYSICS does not apply to them.

Ego_Extrodinaire
10-05-2004, 06:01 AM
Cerebus,

"Quantum theory has many physical aspects and metaphysics isn't "physics" you dolt! It's philosophy! "

You crazy cop, quantum theory is an established branch of physics. Ever heard of quantum computing, or the uncertainty principal?

Kaitain(UK),

The truth behind physics is that it is 90% maths, for example Newtons Laws can be described in terms of partial differential equations or solved using geometry which is how Newton approached the matter. The very same classes of maths / equations can be applied to other fields other than the laws of motion.

What we know is that for a language to be successful, it must be able to be propogated in small bits and have the ability to evolve. We can use science to describe this process and simulate the survivability of languages using genetic algorithms - which mirrors physical processes such as mutation of bacteria to survive / adapt to a new environment (solution space).

We have many cultures and background coming on to the net, and each of us would use language and terms slightly differently. In this sense the Net language would evolve. You can simulate this through a computational framework. So I won't jude too harshly what BL is doing, in fact we should all push the boundries a little.

Toby
10-05-2004, 06:16 AM
She was responding to me C'bus.

Eyebrows, here is the thread (http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32137). Here (http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=520982#post520982) is Serp's posting of your link. You got all excited about one particular example (http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=520984#post520984) from that link. And again here (http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=521176#post521176). I corrected (http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=521203#post521203) you but you ignored me. I tried again (http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=521527#post521527), but you ignored me again (http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=521547#post521547). I tried again (http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=521563#post521563) and you finally seemed to get it (http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=521576#post521576). (Sick of posting links now) But then you went back to denying all evidence. The next few pages of the thread continue in the same vein.

Kaitain(UK)
10-05-2004, 06:25 AM
What we know is that for a language to be successful, it must be able to be propogated in small bits and have the ability to evolve. We can use science to describe this process and simulate the survivability of languages using genetic algorithms - which mirrors physical processes such as mutation of bacteria to survive / adapt to a new environment (solution space).

What a load of bollocks.

Ego_Extrodinaire
10-05-2004, 06:28 AM
Kaitain(UK),

You really have no idea do you.

Toby
10-05-2004, 06:33 AM
Kaitain, he's a troll. Ignore him. His sole purpose is to get a reaction from you.

Ego_Extrodinaire
10-05-2004, 06:38 AM
Toby,

You're an engineer. You of all people should know that quantum theory is not merely philosophy. I've corrected cerebus (your buddy) on this matter. Honestly how can you call this trolling?

Toby
10-05-2004, 07:29 AM
Sometimes you make me laugh Kelvin. You're too transparent, though. Don't try so hard. The whole fun thing about Eyebrows is I genuinely believe her naivety and stupidity. With you it's obviously a game. If Eyebrows was a troll's persona, it would be the best one I've ever come across or heard of on the internet. She's just so believable. Anyway, keep it up. It obviously works on some people.

Kaitain(UK)
10-05-2004, 07:36 AM
Toby - I know Ego was/is trolling, so that's why I limited my reply to a one sentence response.

Toby
10-05-2004, 07:43 AM
Cool. ;)

brothernumber9
10-05-2004, 07:53 AM
comparing language pragmatics with genetic algorithms. I don't know where you get this stuff from but it's pure genious. What are some specific examples of genetic algorithms, by the way?

MoreMisfortune
10-05-2004, 09:20 AM
Now I see the discussions are heating up, let us all calm down, keep it civil and peaceful, ok? Please be respectful to the other persons opinion and avoid using personal attacks as arguments. :)

brothernumber9
10-05-2004, 01:36 PM
okay

nerd

norther practitioner
10-05-2004, 02:18 PM
I'll say it again, some people need to get over themselves and use the IGNORE button.

cerebus
10-05-2004, 11:59 PM
Kelvin's reading comprehension is obviously at about the same level as bl's writing. I said "metaphysics" (which bl classes as a type of "physics") is philosophy. I never said quantum physics is philosophy.

But to actually expect basic reading comprehension from a young kid who collects transformers and smurfs is a bit much. Its all beyond your grasp kelvy, go back to sitting in the corner.

Ego_Extrodinaire
10-06-2004, 08:02 AM
cerebus,

You're dreaming in anycase, because there is philosophy within physics. Logical reasoning is a typoe of philosophy, which underpins maths and without it we would have hardly any physics. Stephen Hawkins once lamented, if we come up with two competing GUT that is varifiable by evidence, which one should we choose?????? the one which is the more elegant.

Toby,

Never claimed to be better than BL. In fact, the score card has her leading me 2 to 1. She's banned and I'm not, makes her a better troll. But she does inspire me to do better.

brothernumber9,

If you're asking me about specific impliemntations of GA, a common approach is to use an array of binary strings to optimize them to an objective function subject to constraints.

brothernumber9
10-06-2004, 08:48 AM
I didn't ask for implementation or a cursory definition of an algorithm. I asked for a specific example of a genetic algorithm. I don't think you can provide one. But I could be wrong since you obviously went to college and got a degree in computer science right after you got back from NAM.

Ego_Extrodinaire
10-07-2004, 07:43 AM
brothernumber9,

In a nut shell its about optimization. Of course GA is not always the best way to go about things.

brothernumber9
10-07-2004, 08:00 AM
No it is not about optimization, and until you prove otherwise has nothing to do with your so called genetic algorithms. It was about language, and more precisely your support for BL's wrongful interpretation and use of the apostrophe. Outside of computers and a slight bit of chinese martial arts, you have proven so far that you lack depth of knowledge on most topics you post about. Bye the way, if you don't mind me asking, what year did you get your Bachelor's degree and how old were you when you got it? I would guess you got it mid to late 90's and you were around 21 or 22.

Ego_Extrodinaire
10-07-2004, 08:14 AM
brothernumber9,

BL is correct. I haven't done this experiment myself but I have read from research papers that the propogation of languages can be set in a GA framework. It was found that languages which are comprised of basic building blocks as opposed to singularly long chains have the best chances of survival. I've used GA in a practical setting in solving problems that require optimization over a horrible looking soltion space. No qualms if you understand GA in a different way - hey if it works for you, it works for you.

No I got my Phd in robotics and computing science from MIT when I got back from Nam as a distraction from all the war memories and the like. I really had nothing much to live for and till this day, still don't have much to live for.

But I have found inspiration in BL's posts. I am so sad that she is gone, but I'm sure she'll sed no tears and would have found a forum of worthy audience.

brothernumber9
10-07-2004, 10:18 AM
A PHD in comp sci and robotics from MIT. Impressive. How did you get into MIT without a diploma?

Ego_Extrodinaire
10-07-2004, 10:10 PM
how do you think I earnt my tech badges in service?? :confused: we're not just mindless guns on the fields you know!! :rolleyes:

ignorance is bliss isn't it

brothernumber9
10-08-2004, 06:56 AM
And here I thought you were just moving in the jungle for days at a time on your way to and from Denang. Of course I should have known that you guys were outfitted with Sony Vaio WiFi GPS enabled lap tops back then, where you could work on the nuances of BASIC and COBAL when the VC weren't harassing you.
And I guess I should have known about the computer labs back at the camps.

I wasn't in the Vietnam war and haven't really spoken too indepth with anyone I know who was, so excuse my ignorance.

You must be extremely intelligent. What year did you receive a bachelors degree at MIT for computer science? I would guess it would have been in the early 70's maybe '73 or '74?. That makes you a true old skewler. If it is true and you did receive your degree between '72 and '74 then you have my greater respect. I could tell from your constant referal to algorithms that you must be a computer science guy. Although I'm still not sold on the war stuff.

SPJ
10-08-2004, 07:50 AM
Agreed to several points.

Since this is BL last tread for now, I will try to honor it the best I can.

So far only Sun Tzu, BL and ST100 described their qual's in MA.

Who else volunteers?

Long sentence does come from words and chain of words. You simply need some structure to have a sentence. The subjective, verb, objective and plus adjective to modify nouns and so forth.

Chinese has words and spoken languages. There were no sentences. They come in 4 words, 6 words, or 7 words as in poems. There was no punctuation, no grammar.

Genetics: DNA and RNA are consisted of 4 elements (A T G C) (---U) etc as in Chinese 4 words structure.

They form double helix and (primary, secondary, trituary and super structures) compacted with intense energy in the nuclei.

The mutation may be random. However, most of the time there are extreme or exact orders. Otherwise, disease occurs or life ends.

Even a single base or point mutation means life or disease.

Do not use mutation and the randomness to downplay the orderliness.

My point is that do not use that to justify misspelling or habitual typos as the force to survival. It may be but for the most part it is more often than not not so. Unless the enviroment changes, then the new genetic map may be selected and evolve to survive in the new "order".

Post to honor.

Cheers.

brothernumber9
10-11-2004, 06:16 AM
Ego what year did you receive your bachelors for comp sci at MIT?

Ego_Extrodinaire
10-11-2004, 08:02 AM
brothernumber9,

It doesn't matter because I had kept up my skills in computing. Though I prefer Fortran, the industry uses C++ these days. Good thing the principals of programing remain the same, it's just the syntext where one needs to get familar with.

But I dig the computer these days, but I think I can write code just as fast on a far less powerful machine in DOS. All this windows stuff, while looks good only chews up memory and makes users lazy.

brothernumber9
10-11-2004, 09:10 AM
what year did you get your bachelors in computer science at MIT?

Ming Yue
10-11-2004, 06:44 PM
you'd think sometime during your stint at MIT you would have learned that it's 'syntax', not syntext.

:p

Vash
10-11-2004, 06:54 PM
5 Years ATA (God in Heaven forgive me for this transgression)

2 Years under a real TKD guy. He was a truly bad mofo who taught me the fundamentals of fisticuffs. These are lessons I hold to this day.

4 Years Isshinryu Karate. My instructor is a great man, knows the ins and outs of self defense.

6 Years actively researching exercise-sciences. So far, certification via ISSA. Going for NSCA and Poliquin International Certification Program (PICP) next.

Now, BL/EE, please leave.

Ego_Extrodinaire
10-11-2004, 08:15 PM
Bl has left already and even still , together we each have studied longer. sorry kiddo.

not this time

Ego_Extrodinaire
10-11-2004, 08:57 PM
You know, if were even half intimidating, you'd nearly be the best troll this place seen in a long time.

Buddy
10-11-2004, 08:59 PM
"You know, if were even half intimidating, you'd nearly be the best troll this place seen in a long time."

You know, even if you half-way told the truth, nobody would believe you.

Serpent
10-11-2004, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Ego_Extrodinaire
You know, if were even half intimidating, you'd nearly be the best troll this place seen in a long time.
Fvck off, Michelle. You're banned.

brothernumber9
10-12-2004, 04:21 AM
Ego, what year did you get your bachelors in Comp Sci at MIT?