PDA

View Full Version : founding monks and abbotts of shaolin

triskellin
10-01-2004, 12:27 AM
i've always wondered about the connection btw founding monks of kf styles, and the abbotts that modern day shaolin school's trace their lineage back to. lots of southern styles (and i think some nothern) claim their gm learnt from a monk from the shaolin temple, or that monk learnt from one of the famous 5 elders, etc, etc. which should mean that one of these abbotts that modern school's trace their lineage back to, must have existed at the same time as one of these monks. yet it doesn't appear that either party knew of each other at the same time. if ng miu, pak mei, and the other 3 (sorry i can't remember their names off the top of my head. there's the one that hung gar came from, heh) existed in the 1700s, was there an abbott that existed at the same time that a shaolin school today can trace their lineage back to? If so, is there any evidence that this abbott knew of these monks, or vice versa?

GeneChing
10-01-2004, 10:09 AM
Those are southern styles and the five elder legend is attributed to a southern Shaolin Temple. This research is messier, riddled with conflicting evidence and folk tales, which is not to say it's invalid, just troublesome. If you do a search on this in this forum, and the southern forum and perhaps the main forum, you can catch up to the discussions on these.

blooming lotus
10-02-2004, 12:00 AM
so sceptism aside, according to myth and legend or recorded info pertaining to same, the southern temple
( that alledgedly never existed) was where a coupla the five WC elders ( who also may not've existed) shacked up and traded notes ( including ng mui who according to sceptics never knew nor created dimmak , nor even existed herself ( because women are shyte and couldn't possibley have had a spiritual bone so close to want to perpetuate her beliefs)..........

you dudes are so caught up in your egos and misinformation, any disccussion at al on ma and/ or spiritualism for the most part is rediculously unfruitful...............

Ps: bak / pai mei was a story someone created for their own amusement ( ask the dudes who've never rad or studied , because they'll tell you and in no uncertain terms!!!!!!! :rolleyes: )

now that Gene is a farse himself....whas the point of fronting here.lil boys playground you can have.I just wanna learn some stiff and reaffirm my skills and enlightenments! :( :rolleyes: ;) :p :cool:

South Paw
10-03-2004, 10:21 AM
You can read some more about this history in the text "When The Legends Die" (http://home.planet.nl/~padbe017/Nan_Shaolin_1.htm)

This is a text by Ng Ho, filmpanel advisor to the Hong Kong filmarchive and associate professor in the department of Cinema and Television Production at Hong Kong Baptist University.
The text was printed in the book 'A Study of the Hong Kong Martial Arts Film', Hong Kong 1980. A book that was given to me as a present by the late Kwan Tak Hing, the famous actor that impersonated Wong Fei Hung many times.

It's a text about the legends surrounding the South Shaolin Monastery and the creation of the Southern Kung Fu Styles, especially Hung Gar.
The names in this text are all in Mandarin. I left it in the original version. So Lu Acai is Luk Ah Choy, Tieqiao San is Tit Kiu Sam, Hong Xiguan is Hung Hei Kun, Huang Qiying is Wong Kai Ying, Zhi San is Gee Sim, etc.

It's a fascinating story and Ng Ho used some interesting books for this text, notably two books of the novellist Zhu Yuzhai, a student of Lam Sai Wing.

Enjoy reading and
don't let these legends die.

Kind regards,
KPE