PDA

View Full Version : siu muy fah kuen part 2 - the salute

GARRA DE TIGRE
10-01-2004, 06:06 PM
ok , i moved the other thread in this new thread wich will pick up right where the last one left off . i locked the other thread to keep it from getting any larger .

i think the next step is the siu muy fah salute .

see siu muy fah movements 1 to 6

1 - fist on waist
2 - step forward , double panther fists and sound " sik "
3 - double hanging punch
4 - advance with hook stance , tiger claw and sound " wah "
5 - bow with cat stance
6 - double hanging punch

my 5 cents :

1 - breathing in .
2 - bend knees and keep your sight in your fists , the technique is called seung cheung ahn choy in chinese
3 - extend the arms . this one is called seung kwa choy
4 - i'd learn you first use your left tiger claw for grab or block and then strike with the right tiger claw . is a circular movement . the name is fu jao . everybody perform this way . in hung gar this movemet is more like a heavy descendet strike sometimes , like a hammer fist . i'd learnm in clf is more refined , being circular . at this point my question is if the stance is buy ma or kau ma ?
5 - in the salute your hands must be in line with your noise , i think . also the elwos must be bend .
6 - again , extend the arms , seung kea choy -

i know this salute is unique fronm this form . other minor forms like siu ping kuen and siu sup gee kow da use a variation with seung jeet fu choy . someone know the history behind this unique salute ?

Kennyfist
10-01-2004, 06:50 PM
It appears there are many variations of Siu Mui Fa and so it would be difficult to comment on a move by move basis.

Come'n Extrajoseph, where are you? I miss your insightful contributions.
I wonder how many people know of the history of some forms.
Take an example, the story about Chan Heung , the government (Ching government) and the Dou Fu Bagua Kuen of CLF?
Why do I post this stuff? Well I want to lure the seniors and knowledgeable guys back to this forum and posting. I think I can pick who knows their stuff and what their talking about ( Yes , Extrajoseph, I think your one of them, and I think Serpent is as well but he's still posting!)

In short, I think its hard to have interesting discussion on CLF without Extrajoseph. I mean informative discussion. My opinion...

CLFNole
10-01-2004, 07:41 PM
Garra:

Actually in the beginning of the form its sheung yum chop choy (double twist panther fist) not sheung cheung ahn choy.

The bow sequence in the beginning of siu ping kuen and siu sup gee was created by Lee Koon Hung for demonstration purposes. The traditional bow can be quite long and this particular bow gets right into the forms themselves.

Peace.

GARRA DE TIGRE
10-01-2004, 08:03 PM
upps ! sorry about seung yum chop choy . .

i 'd believed that only intermediate and advanced forms have the long clf salute .
this siu muy fah salute is also created by master lee koon hung ?

CLFNole
10-01-2004, 08:54 PM
I believe that the Plum Flower bow comes from Poon Dik's school.

Traditionally our forms have one of two bows:

Sup Gee Jong - long bow that starts facing front. Some forms with this opening include Sup Gee Kow Dah, Tuet Tsin Kuen, Ping Kuen, Ping Jahng Kuen, Ng Ying Kuen and Moi Fah Baat Kwa Kuen.

Baat Kwa Sum Jong - starts from the side then turns to the front.
Some forms with this opening include Hok Ying Kuen, Fu Ying Kuen, Fu Pow Kuen, Fut Gar Jeoung, Joi Baat Seen Kuen, Baat Kwa Sum Kuen and Baat Mo Kuen.

Peace.

Shaolin Dude
10-01-2004, 10:48 PM
is there a name for the tiger crane bows? elbow right, block and hit in front, roll arms back to chamber

this bow is in a lot of southern forms

yutyeesam
10-01-2004, 11:46 PM
Ok, I've always wondered about the fu jao in the salutation, because it is executed differently when, say, starting from a chaan jeung postion.

the arms are going to the side in a fashion similar to Daahn La or Dot Choy (meaning, traveling horizontally across the body). but if this fu jao is to be a strike with the palm, then there has to be a linear/twising thrust to make it effective.

my question is:
at what point does it become linear? does the right hand come completely into the chest in order to push out? or does it travel to the side slightly and then push out a little?

to me, it is important to clear this up, because the fu jao done in the salutation of different lineages have the left palm clearly pushing down, and the right fu jao clearly shooting foreward linearly-twisting, starting closer to the chest.

thanks,

CLFNole
10-02-2004, 07:57 AM
The right hand should kind of twist outward from the chest. The left hand comes across is a somewhat circular pattern. The right hand then comes out in a smaller circular pattern and shoots upward towards the face.

It is kind of hard to describe but easy to show.

Peace.

Sow Choy
10-02-2004, 08:02 AM

We learned the Fu Jow a few ways... 1. The way most of us do now, we block with the left while the right comes up inside the left arm and twists out in a straight line. 2. the right arm blocks and strikes crossing over and either being straight or coming down.

I believe this another Lee Koon Hung signature, the Hong Kong students do the opening and closing with a dahn la.

Another interesting topic...

Did you know that all the moves have a poetic name???

We don't learn them, but my sifu knows them... Similar to Hung ga, I keep meaning to ask him, I need to pick his brain a little... CLFNole, we need to get on sifu about that, or else we will lose even more CLF, kinda up to us...

the opening of Plum Flower with the double twist panthers I remembered translates as "Double Dragon shoots out over the Ocean" or something like that...

We can all benefit from learning the old poetic names since even though our forms are different, our moves are generally the same and even have the same combos of forms...

Joe

CLFNole
10-02-2004, 08:58 AM
Getting him to teach us the poetic names will be an adventure in itself. Probably a very funny one though but I am up for it.

Talk to ya later

Fu-Pow
10-02-2004, 06:19 PM
We start the forms without the double chaap chui and we do daan laan instead of the double fu jao.

I know 3 kinds of Fu Jao in CLF. There is the Fu Jao that comes up from below the chest and is very similar to the Hung Gar "tiger descends the mountain" technique.

Then there is the Fu Jao that drives straight out from the ear as in Puhn Kiuh Kam Jeung Fu Jao.

And lastly there is a Fu Jao that comes down from above in a circular motion and is a downward palm strike.

My last comment is that the move you refer to in the bow with the Seung Fu Jao is identical to a move in the Lung Ying form called "Dragon presents the claws." So is it a tiger claw at all or is it a dragon claw?

Food for thought.

:cool:

CLFNole
10-02-2004, 07:03 PM
What lung ying form?

The chinese is fu jow so it is referring to a tiger claw. I think the dragon claw is somewhat different if memory serves me.

GARRA DE TIGRE
10-03-2004, 02:43 AM
fu pow

the tiger claw technique we are speaking is a circular movement in a similar motion that the hooks fingers technique to the throat find in siu muy fah . if you are looking for a view of the technique , is the same technique and stance that master buck sam kong perform in the page 26 of kung fu magazine southern styles special edition ( september 1998 ) .

Fu-Pow
10-04-2004, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by CLFNole
What lung ying form?

The chinese is fu jow so it is referring to a tiger claw. I think the dragon claw is somewhat different if memory serves me.

The one done in the small book by Chu (sorry can't remember first name).

Fu-Pow
10-04-2004, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by GARRA DE TIGRE
fu pow

the tiger claw technique we are speaking is a circular movement in a similar motion that the hooks fingers technique to the throat find in siu muy fah . if you are looking for a view of the technique , is the same technique and stance that master buck sam kong perform in the page 26 of kung fu magazine southern styles special edition ( september 1998 ) .

I thought you were talking about the double fu jao in the bow.......as in kau mah seung fu jao. What are you talking about hooking fingers and grabbing the throat?

CLFNole
10-04-2004, 10:38 AM
Fu-Pow:

I also have that book. The Sifu is Chu Siu Kei who was a student of To Hon Chueng. To me the form doesn't look to much like CLF. The form is kind of weird looking the way the dragon claws are used.

Peace.

Fu-Pow
10-04-2004, 10:45 AM
Well, the bow is definitely CLF, so who knows? My Sifu is friends with him so I could have him ask.

Anyways, my observation was that the technique he uses in there called "Dragon presents claws" looks a lot like the Seung Fu Jao.

Peace.

CLFNole
10-04-2004, 10:58 AM
This sifu was friends with Lee Koon Hung back in HK. I have seen a few pictures of them all together.

I agree the bow looks CLF. What I meant were the movements themselves. It is definately different from our CLF as far as movements go. It doesn't have alot of the CLF trademarks that is all.

I'll check it tonite regarding the movement you were referring to. Could be how the claw is held since the dragon claw and tiger claw are slightly different.

Peace.

GARRA DE TIGRE
10-04-2004, 02:14 PM
fu pow :

sorry for my limited explanation because my limited english . i'd was making a comparation between the two circular arms techniques . think the technique like a short pak sao - kwa choy . but using fu jao to the face .