PDA

View Full Version : 3 new Gary Lam's dvd's

Ernie
10-02-2004, 08:48 PM
Hey guy's
just passing on the message from the people putting Gary's stuff
out :)

To All Our Valued Customers and Friends,

We're pleased to announce the release of 3 new Gary Lam's dvd.

1. Wing Chun Kicking 1 Instructional DVD ( 43 minutes )
2. Seminar : The Philosophy Of Wing Chun Fighting DVD ( 95 minutes )
3. Seminar : Fighting Strategy DVD ( 101 minutes )

For more detail of each DVD, please go to www.CranesProduction.com

---- I'll be getting mine on wed. and I will review it , I saw the kicking one today [ which I’m in ] and man do I look weak ha ha

but the info is good , covers traditional and modern kicking methods as well as dealing with Thai kicks
stuff like that .

same style as the others informal out doors at Gary’s school

has some pole and knife stuff as well not the forms but some two man drills with Gary , Greg, Peter and myself doing partner drills
some locks mixed with kicks and hitting mixed with kicks
kicks on the dummy then explained and shown on a person [ you can see me getting kicked and stepped on =) ]

some of the basic drills we use, that about covers it ,

PaulH
10-03-2004, 12:29 AM
Yup, I was there trying to take copious notes from Gary while they were filming the kicking DVD. Greg, my Sihing and teaching assistant was supposed to demonstrate most of the kicking drills according to the program. Unfortunately, he could not make it for that particular filming due some urgent matter that came up, and Ernie got drafted in at the last minute instead!

Being the sneaky rat that he was, he saw how Peter got nailed by Gary's heavy kicks during the early kick demos and decided to play smart. He deliberately kicked slowly and "gently" instead and thus brilliantly ensuring Gary's kicks will be merciful throughout! I actually kind of like it as I can see how the various kicks are done in slow motion though I kind of miss the beautiful action that I often see in those same kicks when they are executed in full speed and power. But of course not on me say this chicken! =)

Enforcer-
10-04-2004, 12:02 AM
Gary Lam also teaches thai boxing?

http://garylamwingchun.com/photos_hk.html

Ernie
10-04-2004, 07:16 AM
Enforcer- Gary Lam also teaches thai boxing?

Yep,

[[[In Monterey Park California, one of Sigung Wong's most senior successors has for the past several years been quietly teaching the Wing Chun system of his teacher. That successor is Sifu Gary Lam (Lam Man Hog). Sifu Lam trained with Wong Shun Leung for over 15 years and was his head coach for 6 years. Sifu Lam distinguished himself by winning the Hong Kong full contact elimination tournament in 1978, defeating all challengers in three elimination fights. This fighting victory resulted in being awarded the coveted champions gold coin medallion, and gained him the respect and admiration of his fellow practitioners from all styles. Sifu Lam has also been a competitive Hong Kong Thai boxer, and in the early nineties often served as a judge for Thai boxing matches in Hong Kong. Sifu Lam has been teaching Wing Chun Kung Fu and training Thai Boxers for over 20 years. He also had the honor and distinction of serving as the 1991 President of the Hong Kong Wing Chun Society.]]]

WSL wing chun is what is taught now , which Gary has also added his personal experience to , but every student is introduced to Thai ,kicks .Knees , clinch , and elbows as well as defense and conditioning

in all honesty most do not persue this and stick with just the wing chun after they get there thai kicks down ,
and some just use it for conditioning working rounds on the heavy bag .

Gary had also kept it more wing chun in concept as we don't turn the body all the way around with the kicks and we still move forward

if you have any questions fire away

:)

Enforcer-
10-04-2004, 11:25 AM
I live in Pasadena, CA. SO I'm wondering what is Gary's schedule and prices for classes? ANd how are the classes structured?

YongChun
10-04-2004, 11:52 AM
I look forward to the reviews Ernie. Ray

old jong
10-04-2004, 12:34 PM
In this pic (http://garylamwingchun.com/wc_meeting.jpg) You see Leung Ting standing beside Gary and I think it is Ho Kam Ming sitting in the center front row with W.S.L. just beside him.
Back to the topic!...;)

Ernie
10-04-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Enforcer-
I live in Pasadena, CA. SO I'm wondering what is Gary's schedule and prices for classes? ANd how are the classes structured?

http://garylamwingchun.com/training.html

all the info is there

I live in Arcadia right next to Pasadena and I teach privates out in both Pas and Arc. but since i only do privates it's more expensive
go check out the school I'll be there on Wed. night and Sat morning after I finish my privates at the Rose bowl :)

if you have any other questions just ask

Ray
i'll give my honest review no problem
i don't need to hype up Gary and I'm not into everything he does like some blind disciple

he gets into the 5 elements and stuff like that i'm not feeling that stuff but he uses it to explain things and other people like it .

remember i'm probably the most non traditional student he has got , there are guys the get into all that other stuff ;)

PaulH
10-04-2004, 02:04 PM
I think your self-assessment is rather accurate, Sihing Ernie!

Sidai,
Proud 108th disciple of Lam Man Hog Sifu. =)

Ernie
10-04-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by PaulH
I think your self-assessment is rather accurate, Sihing Ernie!

Sidai,
Proud 108th disciple of Lam Man Hog Sifu. =)

ok now i'm throwing up!

Vajramusti
10-04-2004, 02:16 PM
Old Jong- I dont think that it is Ho Kam Ming-I could be wrong-
HKM is shorter than that gentleman in the center. Could be Tang sang or someone else. Tang Sang began with Leung Shung but Ip
Man by agreement began to teach him.
TST is on the left side of gary facing the pic while Leung Ting is on the right. Siu Yuk Men seems to be on WSL's left i.e right looking at the pic.Gary would know- if Ernie cares to ask him. David P would also know.

PaulH
10-04-2004, 02:25 PM
That is the non-touch stomach belcher - another rare traditional technique that is passed to me by Sifu! =)

Ernie
10-04-2004, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by PaulH
That is the non-touch stomach belcher - another rare traditional technique that is passed to me by Sifu! =)

don't make me break out my toe kick to the nuts , you traditional freak :p

YongChun
10-04-2004, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by old jong
In this pic (http://garylamwingchun.com/wc_meeting.jpg) You see Leung Ting standing beside Gary and I think it is Ho Kam Ming sitting in the center front row with W.S.L. just beside him.
Back to the topic!...;)

Hey, we need a larger photo. Ray

old jong
10-04-2004, 03:05 PM
I looked at the pic with a magnifying lens and it is not HKM!...Sorry! but I was right with LT!...;)

Enforcer-
10-04-2004, 10:36 PM
I currently train here:
http://protraininginc.com/
http://muaythaimayhem.com/

I might train in wing chun in a few months but I cant commute yet to Monterey park.

Ernie
10-05-2004, 07:30 AM
that's funny i know Walter and June , there place is almost walking distance from my house , Walter is a real good guy , your lucky to train with him

both of them used to teach at bodies in motion that's were i know them from

small world :D

Simon
10-12-2004, 06:04 PM
got the kicking video yesterday

good stuff, lots to absorb, Gary obviously knows his stuff. really opened my mind up to different ways of using wing chun legs.

quick delivery too, 8 days to Perth in Australia!

yep Ernie you look half asleep in some of it :D - nah you guys all look good, I liked the swords and pole techniques at the start too.

Ernie
10-12-2004, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Simon
got the kicking video yesterday

good stuff, lots to absorb, Gary obviously knows his stuff. really opened my mind up to different ways of using wing chun legs.

quick delivery too, 8 days to Perth in Australia!

yep Ernie you look half asleep in some of it :D - nah you guys all look good, I liked the swords and pole techniques at the start too.

nope your right i was not feeling allot of drills , one of my seniors was supposed to do all that and i was just going to do the stuff at the end were he does the non traditional kicking defense

but last second i got pulled i mean really the second before they shoot the guy left and i was brought in and it shows :D

i hate to do stuff when i can't at least have a dry run first , so was less then enthusiastic

the stuff we did today for the next DVD was more my style got to pad up and let go a little

but your right the information is good and Gary puts a few good kicks in here and there , hey did you see at the end were I kicked Gary in the head that was funny

I’m glad you liked it ,

You can give an honest review , no worries I know I was less then stellar =)

Simon
10-12-2004, 09:20 PM
will have to watch it more and try some drills before I can critique it any more. the material is pretty different to what I have been taught. I especially like the attacks to the foot and techniques following them and the basic kick training drills (this is what I was wanting especially).

"hey did you see at the end were I kicked Gary in the head that was funny " - ernie

nup :D - will have to watch it again!

Ernie
10-12-2004, 09:24 PM
when gary ask me to kick high on the tirangle gaurd and says kick harder and i do , instead of a thai my leg goes into savate mode and my toe smacks him on the back of the head oops :)

have fun with the stuff and if you ever have any questions feel free to ask open forum or private email no problem :D

Simon
10-12-2004, 09:28 PM
i just thought of one thing to ask-

with the chin na kick drills - I didn't like the way you were turning your back to the opponent in a couple of the drills before the lock was on. I assume this happens quite fast but do you think there is an opening due to this? I've always been told to avoid showing my back. Gary didn't seem to turn as much as you and the other student.

Ernie
10-12-2004, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Simon
i just thought of one thing to ask-

with the chin na kick drills - I didn't like the way you were turning your back to the opponent in a couple of the drills before the lock was on. I assume this happens quite fast but do you think there is an opening due to this? I've always been told to avoid showing my back. Gary didn't seem to turn as much as you and the other student.

well first i'm not big on chin na [ could you tell:D ] and the there is supposed to be a elbow shot into center as we twist [ later all the stuff has elbow or pain infliction to tenderize the meat =) soften him up a bit if he resist the lock

since i'm not that much into wrist locks i don't practice them like the guy who was supposed to do those drills [ he is a was a akido black belt and is very good at those joint manipulation locks ]

they work better of if you zone out iwth footwork and keep the slack out of the arm , but do to poor practice and trying to keep things inframe , there will be flaws , better to just watch gary :D

keepem coming

Simon
10-12-2004, 09:50 PM
yeah footwork and strikes before the chinna makes me much more comfortable with those moves!

nothin else to ask, I'll get back to ya when I've tried some of the drills out

cheers!

Matrix
10-13-2004, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Ernie
I saw the kicking one today [ which I’m in ] and man do I look weak ha ha Just seeing that on video must be worth the asking price. :D ;)