PDA

View Full Version : chi sau is not fighting

ng mui rules
08-13-2001, 07:06 AM
chi sau is the bridge to fighting (sparring). it is not sparring itself. here is another bit of info. back in the 70's the "chi sau king of hong kong" came over to america. he visited bruce lee. bruce lee had one of the movie producers he was teaching at the time sparr the "great" wing chun man. well the chi sau king of hong kong got beat really bad. so i think this story proves that you can't fight if you only do forms and chi sau all day. there should be an equal amount of forms practice, drills, two person drills, chi sau, and sparring. all are needed to make a good wing chun fighter.

Watchman
08-13-2001, 07:09 AM
And a mullett.

wingchun.com
08-13-2001, 09:04 AM
Perhaps you mean Wong Shun Leung?
Don't beat around the bush, say who you mean.

If so, he fought actively in the 50's.
You say he then sparred someone 20 years after his prime. Gee, big surprise.

Kind of like William Cheung against a younger, stronger Emin Boztepe--quelle surprise. William wasn't still into streetfighting and putting sailors in hospitals at that time either.

Perhaps when Emin is 55 some 20 year old roid monster will punch him out too.

NafAnal
08-13-2001, 02:31 PM
isn't victor kan known as the king of chi sau?

tiger_1
08-13-2001, 03:30 PM
w.c. is many more of chi sao and sparring traning .must traning hard with intonjutsu for more speed and more progresiv beimo. - just my oppinion tiger_1 ;)

/

BeiKongHui
08-13-2001, 03:52 PM
I agree that it is a shame more WC folks don't spar but I'd also remind you that sparring is not fighting either.

"To the extreme!"
--Poochie

Jaeson
08-14-2001, 02:17 PM
How does one guy who gets his butt kicked in sparring, prove chi sao does'nt work!!!!!!

EmptyCup
08-14-2001, 08:59 PM
I don't care about chi sau king...I know there was a talking hands king named Wong Shun Leung ;)

I agree that real fighting and chi sau are totally different. In chi sau I can pull off awesome combos, great counters and block a half dozen attacks. I also know a few people who can do these things in chi sau but in a real fight, that's a whole different story.

You rarely can pull off all those chi sau moves such as bong-lap-da...you use bui, tan, gang, pow, and gum. Just those most of the time and hardly any lateral shifting stances...just moving forward with the median stance

Contact is minimal as people retract hands fast and modern street fighters fight like boxers or JKD style...trapping more than once rearely happens and bigger opponents can just blindly throw haymakers and lop you head off at a far distance :)

Chi sau can aid your wing chun in terms of contact and reflexes but without strong free-sparring, you're cutting yourself short...by a whole reality ;)

whippinghand
08-15-2001, 04:35 AM
...neither is sparring.