PDA

View Full Version : When The Legends Die

South Paw
10-03-2004, 03:02 PM
When The Legends Die (http://home.planet.nl/~padbe017/Nan_Shaolin_1.htm)

This is a link to a text by Ng Ho, filmpanel advisor to the Hong Kong filmarchive and associate professor in the department of Cinema and Television Production at Hong Kong Baptist University.
The text was printed in the book 'A Study of the Hong Kong Martial Arts Film', Hong Kong 1980. A book that was given to me that same year as a present by the late Kwan Tak Hing, the famous actor that impersonated Wong Fei Hung many times.

It's a text about the legends surrounding the South Shaolin Monastery and the creation of the Southern Kung Fu Styles, especially Hung Gar.
The names in this text are all in Mandarin. I left it in the original version. So Lu Acai is Luk Ah Choy, Tieqiao San is Tit Kiu Sam, Hong Xiguan is Hung Hei Kun, Huang Qiying is Wong Kai Ying, Zhi San is Gee Sim, etc.

It's a fascinating story and Ng Ho used some interesting books for this text, notably two books of the novellist Zhu Yuzhai, a student of Lam Sai Wing.

Enjoy reading and
don't let these legends die.

Kind regards,
KPE

SimonM
10-03-2004, 04:44 PM
Interesting article. Of course he was off on the conclusion. Who would have thought that Kung Fu movies would go and get popular in the Hip Hop culture in the USA in the early nineties rather than dying altogether in the eighties as the author predicted? Or that the post-modern milleu of the twenty-first century would lead to a slight revitalization in the concept of myth construction in popular consciousness.

WanderingMonk
10-04-2004, 08:20 PM
SP,

yeah, this is from the book I was thinking about.

WanderingMonk
10-04-2004, 08:26 PM
Here's the chinese original.

http://isubculture.ichannel.com.hk/B/B003/B003_007.html

If you can read chinese, the author gave some straight talk about wong fei hong but that's in the later chapters. He tried to write about the actual man and not the myths.

South Paw
10-05-2004, 09:09 AM
WanderingMonk,

Good you stopped by ;)

Thanks for the link. I will put it on the site, as well as the info on Wong Fei Hung.

Kind regards,
KPE

WanderingMonk
10-05-2004, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by South Paw
WanderingMonk,

Good you stopped by ;)

Thanks for the link. I will put it on the site, as well as the info on Wong Fei Hung.

Kind regards,
KPE

South Paw,

You're welcome. When I read through the translation, I was thinking I know this book. It was a good translation.

wm

South Paw
10-06-2004, 09:11 AM
wm,

Are you giving me the credits?

The book I mentioned was bilingual: Chinese and English text.

It sure is a good and interesting read.

Kind regards,
KPE

WanderingMonk
10-06-2004, 04:09 PM
South Paw,

I thought you did the translation that's posted on your website. I never actually seen the book. I only read the online chinese edition. so, I didn't know it was bilingual and thought you did your own translation. :)

wm

South Paw
10-06-2004, 10:31 PM
wm,

Wish I could, then I would translate more interesting texts.

Regards,
KPE