PDA

View Full Version : why wing chun guys don't sparr

ng mui rules
08-13-2001, 06:59 AM
i have a little bit of surprising info for everyone. Back right before yip man died, his wing chun guys went to a tournament. well, they got their clocks cleaned by choy lay fut practitioners. As a result of that wing chun guys have not competed on a consistant basis in tournament sence then. They use the excuse that wing chun is too deadly, and that it is a superior system. I know this fact to be true. In 4 years of going to the great lakes kung fu championships only in the last 2 years have other wing chun guys sparred. Only one other wing chun guy last year that wasn't from the same school as me. And only one came the year before that for sparring. Now this wouldn't be so bad if there wasn't any other wing chun guys there, but there were about 20 other wing chun guys there. They just all competed in chi sau and refused to sparr. they didn't even give a good anwer when we asked them. At many wing chun schools little sparring is done. Everone just stands around doing chi sau. So wing chun people don't even sparr wing chun people, let alone other styles. Im only writting the truth because i love wing chun and im sick of it having a bad name in the martial arts comunity.

Watchman
08-13-2001, 07:01 AM
I'm too deadly to spar.

wingchun.com
08-13-2001, 08:57 AM
"Ng Mui",

Head on over to Carl's school and try his hands on. If you like I can email you his phone number and you can drop by and try his approach.

This is NOT an attack on you in any way, by the way. Simply that if you want some sparring, as I know Carl I can set something up for you and you can see another lineage and get an opinion of it.

Let me know.

regards,

David

Anarcho
08-13-2001, 12:56 PM
I'm too deadly for my shirt. Too deadly for my shirt. So deadly it hurts.

kungfu cowboy
08-13-2001, 02:16 PM
You should really go visit Carl.

Barry Manilow ain't no vegetable.

kungfu cowboy
08-13-2001, 02:18 PM
BTW LOL@Anarcho!! :D

Barry Manilow ain't no vegetable.

anerlich
08-13-2001, 02:19 PM
I sparred today. I'll be sparring tomorrow night.

My classmate won his match at a kickboxing fight night held two weeks ago.

My instructor had over 100 amateur and 37 pro kickboxing fights.

Ng Mui rules, you're a troll and don't know jack.

whippinghand
08-13-2001, 08:51 PM
Why don't you just learn Karate. You seem more excited about it than Wing Chun...

[Censored]
08-13-2001, 08:57 PM
He is a nice guy with good Wing Chun. Be sure to ask him, "So where does the power come from?" He really likes to answer that question :)

Losttrak
08-13-2001, 09:50 PM
I have a group of Wing Chun guys that are coming out to spar with my school. I guess the stigma doesnt apply to ALL WC schools.

"If you and I agree all the time, then one of us is unnecessary."

Big Vern
08-13-2001, 10:05 PM
hi ng mui rools, i have trained in wing chun for 11 years and competed full-contact and did well.
everyone in the assoc i coach with has always sparred and the students spar in every lesson. we have a light continuous comp once a year and all love it.
i feel that alot of wc people dont know how to spar or sports fight because they dont appreciate or know how to coach it.
we all understand wc is for self defence primarily, but sparring is what instills confidence and brings all the drills of wc, including chi-sau together.
i once was witness to a chi-sau comp in UK and it was the equivalent of a 2 girl ***** slap party.
bollox as we say over here.

EmptyCup
08-13-2001, 10:09 PM
The old school wing chun guys in hong kong didn't need to spar...they fought ;)

My dad wanted to learn wing chun because as a kid, he once saw a friend beat up 8-9 guys...

We won alot of "bei mo" matches on rooftops and behind closed doors against various styles...INCLUDING Choy Li Fut...Wong Shun Leung and William Cheung being prime examples.

I know and knew Wing Chun guys who can fight not one, but multiple opponents at a time...in bars, basketball courts, clubs, etc... against experienced and unexperienced fighters

Sparring is not even "real" fighting..these guys learned to fight by fighting. Wing Chun practioners are not all theoretical champions...there are many real champs ;)

Sharky
08-14-2001, 03:08 AM
My first school sparred once a week - they had guys sparring on their first week. I knew nothing then and i only stayed there for 4 months due to how far away it was etc.

the second school didn't spar, and i left because of this, and am now schooless...

Edd

My anus is superiorâ„¢

Stateside
08-15-2001, 02:28 AM
I know this is slightly off topic, but it's about sparring so I'll post it anyway.

Has anyone seen the video by Sifu Goh on Chi Sau? A friend of mine lent it to me a couple of weeks ago. Now I'm not dissin Master Goh or anyone, but the bit of the video where him and a student do some "sparring" is absolutely hilarious! I rolled round the floor laughing. It was like 2 kids in the playground playing pattacake, slapping each other's arms and hands. My missus said it reminded her of two rabbits standing on their back legs flapping their paws at each other!

It made me think about why a lot of WC schools don't spar. And what a good grappler would do - those light slaps wouldn't keep a trained grappler at bay.

As I say I'm not dissin anyone, as I'm sure the video exerpt wasn't representative of the gentleman's true ability or the way they normally do things. But that bit was just SO funny!

Sharky
08-15-2001, 06:13 AM
heh.. you is dissin my first teacher. that is the place i went to for 4 months or so. He is good man. Fvck pattercake, he is not yip man lineage and is more external than other tyepes of wingchun, so for him to be panzying about is odd. They DO spar at austin goh's. He had me sparring first week. No gloves? Just go light her says. Gloves? Go as hard as you like. When i was there there was always a broken nose or two. (not always but u get my gist). some guy got knocked the fvck out in my first sparring lesson. if anything i'd imagie they've toned it down.

he also does san shou (he calls it shaolin kickboxing) on sats also. he is good, no doubt. his teaching style could be questioned however.

don't goto his shop though... unless you're rich! he is a bit of a con artist. a lot of a con artist actually. loves his video's and crap. knows that bruce lee posters sell. also has a foul mouth out of class :D :eek: :rolleyes: :eek: :D

Bye

My anus is superiorâ„¢

xveganxkidx
08-15-2001, 07:14 AM
jeebus kid! did you learn to spell where you learned to count? lol

mysteri
08-15-2001, 08:35 AM
sifu duncan leung's students spar every night that i see them. sometimes with a lot of gear, sometimes with very little gear. he teaches very combat intensive. i don't know why other lineages don't spar much in tournaments though. most of duncan's students wait for tournaments where there are less rules, b/c then it's easier for their style. if u think about it, a light-contact sparring match in most tournament will eliminate 75% of wing chun techniques due to the rules restricting them. so when like muay thai or NHB tournaments come, they usually jump to these tournaments and do very well. often they are DQ'ed. would you rather lose a match because he whooped YOUR @$$? or would you rather lose a match because you whooped HIS @$$? the latter opinion seems to produce a lot more students... so in my opinion, most WC guys wont waste their money on petty tournaments, only full-contact where you have a better chance to prove what it's all about. yet still, there's no good substitute for an all out street brawl without pads. it's a lot easier to knock someone out. without all those **** restrictions! my 2 cents..

In a fight you should never stick to principles; they should stick to you!

mun hung
08-15-2001, 07:23 PM
Do you train in the same building as SiFu Duncans? I've trained at the Virginia beach school before - and those guys are no joke. My SiFu Allan Lee's school is pretty much the same.

Sharky
08-16-2001, 12:27 AM
xveganxkidx, you talkin to me?

My anus is superiorâ„¢

Slayer
08-16-2001, 09:19 AM
The reason we don't sparr in tournements is because in Wing Chun we wont hit you unless we know we are going to do damage. Places like the the pressure points or we break your joints. The only way I have been able to sparr is with a friend, he is a kenpo guys, when we sparr, he wears pads and still fells the effect of my strikes, thanks to the bag training. We would lose in tournements because in tournaments, you aren't allowed to hit vital points, pressure points or attack joints ( unless its grapeling ) that is why we rarely sparr.

Scott
08-17-2001, 12:17 AM
99.9% of people who practice Wing Chun have never had any contact with Yip Man. Even if his students did get beaten and decided not to do it again, we don't have anything to do with them =P How can that one incident speak for the entire Wing Chun community?

-Scott

"Life is hard, but so am I." -- The Eels.

xveganxkidx
08-17-2001, 01:28 AM
nah, sharky i was talking to ng mui rules. he needs to learn how to use spellcheck. that or learn to type...