PDA

View Full Version : styles not seen in america

Shaolinlueb
10-04-2004, 10:27 AM
but are popular in china. does anyone know at all what they are, is there any?
any help would be great. and if your gonna answer with something stupid, please dont. im asking a serious question.

MonkeySlap Too
10-04-2004, 11:02 AM
Um, Shaolin Do?

Sorry... could NOT resist.

I'm curious too .... Gene? Anybody?

Meat Shake
10-04-2004, 11:11 AM
We have a few posters here who live in china I believe... Maybe tracking down one of them could prove helpful.

Gotta say Im kinda interested myself... But first we would have to figure out a list of which styles arent seen in america...

Shaolinlueb
10-04-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Meat Shake
We have a few posters here who live in china I believe... Maybe tracking down one of them could prove helpful.

Gotta say Im kinda interested myself... But first we would have to figure out a list of which styles arent seen in america...

hmm

cause i have a chance to learn some stuff when i go to china, im jsut trying to figure out what i want to learn.

Meat Shake
10-04-2004, 11:20 AM
Hmm....
Maybe look for some dog boxing? I know that if it does exist in the states its hard as hell to find.

Enforcer-
10-04-2004, 11:28 AM
the red sand palm, dog boxing, wu tang, sparrow, the exploding heart technique.

sean_stonehart
10-04-2004, 11:47 AM
Where are you going in China? That'll be a big help to figure out what's in your area.

Plus if it's not taught here in the states... maybe there's a reason why it's not... ;)

Shaolinlueb
10-04-2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by sean_stonehart
Where are you going in China? That'll be a big help to figure out what's in your area.

Plus if it's not taught here in the states... maybe there's a reason why it's not... ;)

china, place? um i cant get into details. but the master i go with is pretty famous and is gonna try to get a group of master to come and teach,w e jsut have to give him an idea of what we want to learn.

MasterKiller
10-04-2004, 11:53 AM
Why not just learn something to fit into your current program? That would make more sense to me than asking for obscure, rare styles that may or may not compliment what you already know.

Shaolinlueb
10-04-2004, 11:58 AM
well I am already in a wushu/shaolin/eagle claw program, I was thinking something along the lines of the wushu double axe's or trident, cause i dont see those around too often and its jsut something i want to learn. i jsut want to know too what some of the other styles in china you dont see, might be itneresting to learn if its any good.

Meat Shake
10-04-2004, 01:30 PM
Ive heard good things about dog boxing... But Ive never seen it, so I cant really say.
Remember that rare doesnt always equal good.

Shaolinlueb
10-04-2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Meat Shake

Remember that rare doesnt always equal good.

hmmm much agreed. dog borxing? hmmm heard its a lot of ground wrestling. that could be interested. i think my sifu knows some. i would have to ask. im probably sticking with the dual axe, heck i could pick up two hammers and go at it if i had too :o :D

SPJ
10-04-2004, 03:51 PM
There are too many to mention from southern to northern boxings.

It would be easier to ask the question the other way.

What are the styles common or readily available in the states?

Wing Chun/JKD.

Tai Ji, Ba Gua and Xing Yi.

White crane, CLF.

Feel free to add more.

:confused:

omarthefish
10-04-2004, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Shaolinlueb
but are popular in china. does anyone know at all what they are, is there any?
any help would be great. and if your gonna answer with something stupid, please dont. im asking a serious question.

The only styles that I can honestly say are POPULAR are Taiji first and then Bagua and Xing Yi second. For Shaolin only the standardized wushu version is popular, which is to say, just some generic forms that all look like chang quan and no basic training or applications, sparring etc.

I have seen VASTLY more variation among styles OUTSIDE of China. Within China, the mainland anyways, lots of things exist but really, pretty much all of it outside of the 3 big internal styles are pretty rare. Tongbei is fairly common here in Xi'an and rare outside of China. I guess Baji falls into that category as well. There is virtually NO Baji outside of the Liu Yun Qiao line outside of China. Fanziquan might be an interesting style to explore. That's around here and I've never really seen anyone write about it or even hardly mention it on the English language boards.

Brad
10-04-2004, 04:56 PM
Hey Shaolinlueb,

Maybe it would be better to decide what sort of skills you'd like to focus on and ask about a suitible style?

Shaolinlueb
10-04-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Brad
Hey Shaolinlueb,

Maybe it would be better to decide what sort of skills you'd like to focus on and ask about a suitible style?

skills? hmmm i dont know too much. i was thinking the dog style because of its ground wrestling or the doubnle axe or something neat like a bench :o im not really sure what skills i want to focus on.

edit*
this sounds kinda lame, but i wana learn soemthing that looks cool. oh and it can have good applications too, whether it be grappling or anything. i never dappled in internal stuff, so that would be nice. maybe some bagua or xingyi.

Goldenmane
10-04-2004, 06:27 PM
i was thinking the dog style because of its ground wrestling

I seem to remember coming across something not too long ago about Dog Boxing, from someone allegedly familiar with it, that stated that while it did include a lot of ground fighting, it was not so much wrestling/grappling as striking.

Anyone got any decent info?