PDA

View Full Version : Letters to the magazine

GeneChing
10-04-2004, 01:41 PM
One of the odd results of this particular forum is that we don't receive nearly as many letters to the print magazine as we used to before. We get less people posting here than the amount of letters we used to receive, and there is little overlap between the letters that we received and the members that post here, so it's a bit of a puzzle. Does anyone write letters anymore? ;)

So I'm suggesting to the people that participate in this forum, that if you want, we'll accept letters that you email or PM to me here. You just need to write it like a letter and include your real name, city and state (of country if the case may be). I think a lot of you have some fine ideas for letters, stuff that would be great for print, so now it's as easy as email. :cool:

SPJ
10-04-2004, 01:47 PM
I find that very odd, too.

For each mag, there are so many good articles.

On the other hand, I wrote a letter to IKF. They have over a year backup log.

I wrote a piece for My turn in their column sent in Aug, 2003.

They decided to publish it in Feb. 2005.

No problem.

I will write some letters to you.

Cheers.

:)

GeneChing
10-04-2004, 02:35 PM
... we have about a year lag time from submission to press too. Sometimes longer, sometimes shorter. We do more thematic issues so we try to group submissions to compliment each other, so sometimes a submission might be pushed forward or backward, depending on what's already in the queue.

But that's independant of the letters. One thing that confounds our letters is that since MartialArtsMart (http://www.martialartsmart.com) and Kung Fu Tai Chi are both divisions of TC Media, sometimes people will submit their letters on orders, which means that it won't necessarily get to us since we are two different departments. However, that has alywas been and certainly doesn't account for the drop in letters. The drop maps on to this forum rather directly.

BM2
10-09-2004, 08:00 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by GeneChing
[B] Does anyone write letters anymore? ;)

After the Christmas break during my second grade year, we were only allowed to write in cursive. My son's third grade class is just now learning cursive but it will never be required including in High School.
I thought that this was very strange and when I thought about it the only thing I could come up with was the computer. No one writes letters anymore but use the pc and printer.
It seems that people really do not write letters anymore :(

SimonM
10-09-2004, 11:24 AM
Make 'em use fountain pens in school and they will start using cursive pretty quick. :D :cool: :D

GeneChing
10-11-2004, 09:14 AM
You know, one of my regrets was that I never mastered cursive. My handwriting is so bad, I should have been a doctor. I often blame the fact that I broke my thumb in elementary school and have some frost bite scarring in my hands, but it's really just laziness. I have a lot of respect for anyone with beautiful cursive.

MasterKiller
10-11-2004, 09:35 AM
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4049540

GeneChing
10-11-2004, 05:20 PM
That's the secret. It's all about chocolate pudding. Thanks MK! ;)