PDA

View Full Version : how many ways are there to generate power in SLT?

yellowpikachu
10-04-2004, 04:41 PM
how many ways are there to generate power in SLT?

What is your thoughts?

PaulH
10-04-2004, 05:00 PM
Interesting that you mention this, last Saturday Gary said that WC power did not come overnight. It comes slowly from WC forms training, Chi Sau, Poon Sau, long pole, Wooden dummy and knifes, etc...

What's up? =)

Ernie
10-04-2004, 05:11 PM
next time some one knocks me off my feet while there doing there form i'll let you know :o

PaulH
10-04-2004, 05:19 PM
You'll teach me, yeah? and I'll try to persuade Ernie the errors of his way! I love bets. Think of the possibilities.... =)

Ernie
10-04-2004, 05:22 PM
easy money

PaulH
10-04-2004, 05:28 PM
True enough! Unless miracle still exists... =)

P.S. I hope you don't take all of this seriously, Hendrik. Just having fun. But what you said sometimes feel like coming straight out of a Chin Yung Kung Fu novel. You know the type - an accidental hero kid who made it to the top despite all odds. I admit that I do have a soft spot for this kind of thing. =D

YongChun
10-04-2004, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Ernie
next time some one knocks me off my feet while there doing there form i'll let you know :o

Some Tai Chi book has a story where Yang Cheng Fu is doing his form, someone touches him and gets hurled across the room. Maybe it was a Robert Smith or Don Draeger book.

So judging from that, since Wing Chun can do everything Tai Chi can and more, we should be able to energize our body with so much chi doing the charging phase or slow part of the SLT that anyone touching us would get the equivalent of a lighting strike, or several hundred million volts and about 200,000 amps. If you can't do that, then your SLT sucks.

yellowpikachu
10-04-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by PaulH

P.S. I hope you don't take all of this seriously, Hendrik. Just having fun. But what you said sometimes feel like coming straight out of a Chin Yung Kung Fu novel. You know the type - an accidental hero kid who made it to the top despite all odds. I admit that I do have a soft spot for this kind of thing. =D

You know what?

Chin Yung Kung Fu novel actually is borrowing REAL CLASSICAL KUEN KUIT for Taiji Emei and Shao lin plus his own imagination.

yellowpikachu
10-04-2004, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by YongChun
If you can't do that, then your SLT sucks.

Yup. if the ways of generating power are not clear. There is no way to attain it with "just practice" or go fighting. Some how, Some times, these stuffs got to be clear and iron out. otherwise, it is a Chaos.

The white crane of fujian has its Eight inch method. The Taiji has its real silk jing. The Shao Lin has its Middle cannon punch. the Yee Chuan has its 6 direction Spring shock......

one needs a methodology, methods, and process. Then, one can train in it and cultivate it. ie, a streching punch is not a sending punch. A broken arrow punch cannot be similar to a Complete Arrow punch.

without getting this clear. A WCK generate punch has no different to a TKD punch or a karate punch or a Nam Kuen punch. A punch is a punch, right? ( wrong.)

Then, the problem will be, how come in close body application WCK punch has no advantages? because, opps, wrong power generation methodology which doesnt fit the set /applications one practiced.

A good way to make the application of WCK works is then doing a Localization Evolution. Change the way of doing applications and the sets. Look at how GM Yip man doing Wooden Dummy.
And then compare it to how the others doing Wooden Dummy. one can find out what is the different due to different Localization Evolution.

just some blue sky opinions

anerlich
10-04-2004, 07:08 PM
next time some one knocks me off my feet while there doing there form i'll let you know

I was watching one of my training buds doing the form, walking around him looking at the small details and, not looking where I was going, I tripped and stumbled on the edge of the mat. Does that count? :D

Some Tai Chi book has a story where Yang Cheng Fu is doing his form, someone touches him and gets hurled across the room. Maybe it was a Robert Smith or Don Draeger book.

I read that story in a RW Smith book. Probably "Tai Ch'i".

OTOH, I read an article by old time judoka Mark Tripp where he was doing push hands with Cheng Man-Ching in Taiwan and uprooted him, pushing him backwards, in front of a considerable crowd. When Tripp looked around he found that NOT ONE of the onlookers gave any indication that they had seen Cheng get pushed over. Almost like their minds refused to register it.

All such stories IMO obviate a sceptical approach.

yellowpikachu
10-04-2004, 07:21 PM

what does one practice? if they dont practice the way and ways of generating power when they do forms such as SLT? STanding there to look great and wasting time? doing nothing usefull at all?

PaulH
10-04-2004, 07:35 PM
Yes, I know... Chin Yung is a superb suspense and mystery novelist. Most of my early Kung Fu love and fascination come from reading his Kung Fu romance novel series. Take my favorite "The Smiling Proud Wanderer", the hero always won by employing a startlingly simple method similar to our WC motto. He always attacked and never defended in all his moves. But he could master this skill only when he forgot everything. Well, this is why I can relate to your stuffs so readily! =)

yellowpikachu
10-04-2004, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by PaulH
Yes, I know... Chin Yung is a superb suspense and mystery novelist. Most of my early Kung Fu love and fascination come from reading his Kung Fu romance novel series. Take my favorite "The Smiling Proud Wanderer", the hero always won by employing a startlingly simple method similar to our WC motto. He always attacked and never defended in all his moves. But he could master this skill only when he forgot everything. Well, this is why I can relate to your stuffs so readily! =)

I love The Smiling Proud Wanderer.

It said,

One sword waving,
a life with Smilling Proud
Passing a song until the heaven and Earth become old.
With formless defeat the form meet the heros under the heaven.

he uses the formless momentum / energy to defeat the form. what is more direct and effective beside the momentum and energy? he often lost and a few times almost die in the due, but always return better.

What a guy.

Ernie
10-04-2004, 09:00 PM
STanding there to look great and wasting time? doing nothing usefull at all?

until you prove different beyond stories then yep

yellowpikachu
10-04-2004, 10:01 PM
STanding there to look great and wasting time? doing nothing usefull at all?

until you prove different beyond stories then yep

what is the stories you give your student to do SNT?

Ernie
10-04-2004, 10:10 PM
body mechanics breathing mental focus

then glove up and prove it ! =)

same advice I would give you

:eek:

next time your attacked don't forget to scare the guy off with the power of your form

give me a break :rolleyes:

yellowpikachu
10-04-2004, 10:29 PM

:eek:

next time your attacked don't forget to scare the guy off with the power of your form

give me a break :rolleyes:

no methodologies no body mechanics.
the rest is just fantasy.

if the ultimate is just about who is faster /bigger/heavier/ more stamina? then why study Wing Chun? no need to.

why use the Wing Chun name as martial art? excessive isnt it? :D

if you are not doing Wing Chun. then the question turn into ---how many ways are there to generate power for throwing a punch and what is thier characteristics.

dont tell me :
----------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------

That seems to say alots but didnt say a thing. similar to "you get into the pool and swim and breath, same advice i would give you " isnt it? :D

There is frog style, free style, butterfly swiming style isnt it? :D:D:D

KPM
10-05-2004, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by yellowpikachu
how many ways are there to generate power in SLT?

What is your thoughts?

The whole body can generate power, specifically the waist and spine. You don't need to use footwork to put the power out. One should be able to stand in YGKYM, place their palm against the trunk of the dummy, and "rock" the dummy without lifting the palm or taking a step. There is more to the form than just moving the arms.

Keith

Ernie
10-05-2004, 07:23 AM
gay yellow ball---That seems to say alots but didnt say a thing.

Now your getting it i have learned to answer in the same twisted way you do , not fun being on the other side now is it ha ha

old jong
10-05-2004, 08:31 AM
SLT does not "generate power"... A strike does!...;)
I would say instead that SLT "instill" power so it can be used later in a strike.
How many ways?...Well,how many ways are there to properly practice SLT?...;)

yellowpikachu
10-05-2004, 09:06 AM
gay yellow ball---That seems to say alots but didnt say a thing.

Now your getting it i have learned to answer in the same twisted way you do , not fun being on the other side now is it ha ha

Even Tongue Fu cannot be "just do it"!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0312152272/ref=sib_dp_pt/102-9266201-7102563#reader-link

:D :D :D :D :D

Ernie
10-05-2004, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by yellowpikachu
Even Tongue Fu cannot be "just do it"!

[

But Hendrik you are the master of tongue fu or as i call it king of lip sau :) :D ;)

http://www.kungfucinema.com/gallery/kungfuhustle.htm

it's all in the title man ;)

yellowpikachu
10-05-2004, 09:47 AM
But Hendrik you are the master of tongue fu or as i call it king of lip sau :) :D ;)

http://www.kungfucinema.com/gallery/kungfuhustle.htm

it's all in the title man ;)

You dont know about the yellowpikachu isnt it?

yellowpikachu
10-05-2004, 09:56 AM
There are a few ways to generate power in SLT.

4 is a good number!

Ernie
10-05-2004, 09:58 AM
http://www.modernhumorist.com/mh/0205/free/

here this one is for you

don't f*ck with the big dogs ha ha ha

old jong
10-05-2004, 10:05 AM
What is that?...A MMA fight?...