9 thust palm

10 downward block with cat stance

11 downward block and swinning punch and sound sik

12 cross punch forward

13 retreat , left thrust palm

14 tiger claw and sound wah

15 left thrust palm

16 skip and shin kick

7 and 8 - open say ping ma and turn to kong ma . I believe this a sweep when you open and fast finish te movement turning to kong ma and stike with your own knee . is good when you have your hands bussy !

9 – cum jeung can be a block or an attack . most of the techniques in choy lay fut have this particularity .

10 to 12 – turn to diu ma and block with left chum kiu , then turn your waist and block with left pak sao or chum kiu ?? before strike wuth sow choy and advance to say ping ma and finish with biu jong to the head .

From Here multiple applications can be perfom , I’ll write one and left the rest to others

11 to 16 – after your strike with biu jong your arm is trapped , then you retreat to left say ping ma and free with cam jeung , grabbing the adversary hand and attacking with fu jao to the head . adversaty block and grab again your right arm , then you free with left cam jeung again and block with same hand a jab ( jik choy ) using ( again ) pak sao or cham kiu ? and jump and strike to the leg with fu mei girk or fook fu girk .

yutyeesam
10-04-2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by GARRA DE TIGRE

10 to 12 – turn to diu ma and block with left chum kiu , then turn your waist and block with left pak sao or chum kiu ?? before strike wuth sow choy and advance to say ping ma and finish with biu jong to the head .

I believe the movement right after chum kiu and right before sow choy is Poon Kiu. It is the type of Poon Kiu that all lineages call Poon Kiu.

I'm not sure if the other movement we call Poon Kiu, which looks like an open handed short backfist (ie, pimp slap:p ) is recognized as Poon Kiu in other lineages.

CLFNole
10-04-2004, 08:13 PM
The combination of the two hands right first then left is generally referred to as sheung poon kiu or double circle hand block. The right hand opening block can also be referred to at dat jeurng. Many of our techniques have multiple names. So don't get too caught up in it.

Also looking at the form and its techniques is nice, however the main thing to get out of the forms are the individual techniques themselves. You can't fight like a form. You must disect the form into useable pieces and think of ways to make them most effective. When we perform and teach forms we emphasis extenion, however when applying them the circles need to become smaller to be most effective in most cases. Practising with great extension helps to develop power and will enhance power even more when the techniques are shortened.

Just something to think about.

Fu-Pow
10-04-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by CLFNole
[B]The combination of the two hands right first then left is generally referred to as sheung poon kiu or double circle hand block. The right hand opening block can also be referred to at dat jeurng. Many of our techniques have multiple names. So don't get too caught up in it.

I did not know that!.....and I think Dat Jeung is a much better term over Seung Puhn Kiuh because that hand doesn't really Puhn Kiu like the other hand.

Sifu Mak love to use that opening hand as a offense .....hitting peoples collar bone. He hits with the side of the hand instead of the back of it.

Fu-Pow
10-04-2004, 09:20 PM
Writing that other post made me think of something:

Do you guys make a distinction between Pow Jeung, Kong Jeung and palm up Chaan Jeung?

I realized that there is a distinction:

-Pow Jeung=upward palm, from hip level

-Kong Jeung= forward/upward palm from chest level w/ opposite leg forward

-upward palm Chaan Jeung=forward palm from chest level w/ same side leg leading

:cool:

yutyeesam
10-04-2004, 10:02 PM
pow jeurng and kong jeurng, yes. upward chaan jeurng? haven't heard it called that, we'd just call that pow jeurng.

hey, do you guys ever practice mui fah chaahk kune? the plum blossom combat form? do you like it?
i know the majority of the form is unrealistic for real combat, however, the movement where both people stepped BACK into a cross stance, where one does a kam jeurng and the other does jit fu choi, to me really took the cake. i say that b/c when both people are stepping back while striking, it just doesn't seem like the intent is to hit the body at all.

Fu-Pow
10-04-2004, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by yutyeesam

i know the majority of the form is unrealistic for real combat, however, the movement where both people stepped BACK into a cross stance, where one does a kam jeurng and the other does jit fu choi, to me really took the cake. i say that b/c when both people are stepping back while striking, it just doesn't seem like the intent is to hit the body at all.

Not back. To the SIDE grasshopper. :D

GARRA DE TIGRE
10-05-2004, 05:42 AM
posted by clf nole :

The combination of the two hands right first then left is generally referred to as sheung poon kiu or double circle hand block.

you are speaking of the double hands movememets before sow choy or fu mei girk ?

Eddie
10-05-2004, 06:07 AM
Fu Mei Gerk? I thought that was a spinning back kick? The form I know doesn’t have a spinning back kick in, unless I have the terms wrong.

GARRA DE TIGRE
10-05-2004, 07:24 AM
ha ha

i post two times fu mei girk . i 'd was speaking of charng fu girk .

sorry

CLFNole
10-05-2004, 07:45 AM
Garra:

When the leg sweeps it is So Girk (Sweep Kick).
When it thrusts out it is Chang Fu Girk.

The hands before the sow choy and the sow girk are the same. You could say Poon Kiu Hoi Ma Sow Choy or Poon Kiu Hoi Ma So Kirk.

Fu May Kirk is a back kick seen in Fu Ying Kuen (tiger form).

123:

Like Fu-Pow mentioned it is really stepping to the side. This 2-man form is a basic one. The 2-man hand form Sei Chak Hok Ying Kuen or Snake vs. Crane 2-man set is much better and looks more like real fighting. It is kind of short but has some good techniques.

Fu-Pow:

Chang jeurng or side palm refers to a level palm strike at shoulder height typically. Example: in plum flower there is a part that does deng toi (nail kick), pow jeurng (throwing palm) then chang jeurng (side palm) followed by pie jahng (cutting elbow)then yum juerng (downward groin palm).

Hope this helps.

Peace.

Sow Choy
10-05-2004, 08:16 AM
Fu Pow,

We usually call Kong Jerng the technique that is in Ping Kuen where one hand blocks over the head as the other throws an upward palm...

Gong Jerng is another... Like in Plum Flower where you step back twist and block over the head and throw a cum jerng at the same time...

Garra...

Another technique for the tiger claw then the side palm before the Charng fu could be...

Use Tiger claw to grab the hair, pull your hand back as the other hits the head, ripping the hair...

But CLFNole is right, there are so many names, don't get caught up in it too much, I prefer knowing it by 1 or 2 is ok, I really would rather have a good english name for each technique, since that is my min language...

Its great learning more about our art and Chinese culture and language... but don't forget your own culture in the process...

Too many wanna be's in Kung Fu sometimes... Remember to love the kung fu not the small stuff...

Not speaking about anyone here personally, just funny how so many people who join our school have yellow fever pretty bad... lol!!!

Just a joke... :)

Joe

yutyeesam
10-05-2004, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Fu-Pow
Not back. To the SIDE grasshopper. :D

oh! heh. my bad! still, both folks are stepping away from each other while striking. i just find that odd.
clfnole, thanks for that recommendation of snake v. crane. i'll look into it...not that i care greatly about dwei chaakh forms, but if its better than mui fah, i'm all for it!

yo, i agree with you guys on not getting too carried away with terminology and stuff. what i like to look at is what sequences give the form its distinct flavor. there are so many repeated technique sequences in our forms, but there are those few sequences i feel that give it its own special feel.

for example, for sil mui fah, here are what i consider defining of the form (i know i'm probably wrong for thinking like this, but it really does help me differentiate the forms):

1. Sow-Biu combo (used twice)
2. Chuin-tsop-dang toi-pak combo (used twice)
3. 3 Gong Jeurngs (thanks joe for the terminology, i always thought those were chaan jeurngs)
4. Kwan kiu-chum kiu-poon kiu-poon la-yum tsop-gwa pow-gwa sow
(this sequence RAWKS)

So when you seniors teach this form, do you just jump right in and start teaching from the beginning, or do you teachsequences from the form first, and then go into it?

Fu-Pow
10-05-2004, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Sow Choy
[B]Fu Pow,

We usually call Kong Jerng the technique that is in Ping Kuen where one hand blocks over the head as the other throws an upward palm...

Gong Jerng is another... Like in Plum Flower where you step back twist and block over the head and throw a cum jerng at the same time...

Do you distinguish between Gong Jeung and Chaan Jeung?

Use Tiger claw to grab the hair, pull your hand back as the other hits the head, ripping the hair...

Yikes....another good reason to keep your hair short!

:D ;) :cool:

CLFNole
10-05-2004, 10:40 AM
Fu-Pow:

Gong Jeurng comes out straight from the chest with your chest facing the target.

Chang Jeurng comes from the side with the chest sideways to the target.

Same general line but delivered differently. Thats how I would differentiate it.

123:

Regarding teaching Plum Flower its good to expose the students to techniques with basic forms that you put together and then move students into the actual forms. This makes transition easier. I like to teach in small sections of 3-4 moves at a time. Make them practice and then evaluate thereafter teaching when they are ready.

Peace.