PDA

View Full Version : If you could only use one technique in a fight

IronFist
10-04-2004, 08:42 PM
What would it be?

I don't know how this would ever happen, but say you agreed to a fight (striking) where you could only use one attack the entire time. What would you use? A jab? A cross? An elbow? A Thai Kick? That's what I would use.

FngSaiYuk
10-04-2004, 08:53 PM
Chi Blast!!!!

But seriously... perhaps a well conditioned phoenix eye punch.

Do you get to know what your opponent will be using?

Also, is this just for attacking? Can you use any defense techinques?

blooming lotus
10-05-2004, 04:02 AM
that's silly question because A. each fight is different with diff techs being best in diff situations and B. because unless you're some thug whose striking first, you'll need to block first aswell.

MasterKiller
10-05-2004, 06:27 AM
elbows

Ray Pina
10-05-2004, 06:51 AM
Strong leading rights, with my left back hand to block. Strike and block any thing that moves simultanously. If the distancing and timing are right, the back hand is only insurance.

red5angel
10-05-2004, 07:16 AM
I would use punching, or shooting.

Oso
10-05-2004, 07:20 AM
running

aedolon
10-05-2004, 08:08 AM
Grasp sparrow's tail

EDIT: Oops, didn't read the original post too carefully... You want striking techniques? I'll stick with taijiquan: deflect, parry and punch.

Chang Style Novice
10-05-2004, 08:11 AM
The technique of no-technique.

(cue spooky flute music)

Chang Style Novice
10-05-2004, 08:15 AM
Or less engimatically - I tend to be responsive rather than pro-active. So, the single technique I choose will depend on what my opponent does. Wait for the opening and exploit it by whatever means is most appropriate.

lxtruong
10-05-2004, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by aedolon
Grasp sparrow's tail

EDIT: Oops, didn't read the original post too carefully... You want striking techniques? I'll stick with taijiquan: deflect, parry and punch.

doesn't that count as 3 techniques?

SevenStar
10-05-2004, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by blooming lotus
because unless you're some thug whose striking first, you'll need to block first aswell.

no you won't. you can move. Or, if you see him attacking, you can beat him to the punch. That brings me to the technique I would use - the teep.

I thought about using a lead hand punch, as efist said, as I have long arms. But, my legs are longer and more powerful, so I won't have to be as close to do damage. I then thought about the thai roundhouse as IF said, but what if my opponent is a grappler, san shou guy or another thai boxer? I'd be more prone to get cut kicked, thrown, etc.

Judge Pen
10-05-2004, 08:50 AM
I was thinking Thai roundouse too until I read what Seven* posted. I think I have to agree with E-fist. Not very sexy, but the most effective and adaptable if you had to stick with a single technique.

Palmer
10-05-2004, 08:55 AM
In some ways I see it as a ridiculous question and in other ways its really not IMO.

For the most part I train in hope of not having to think much about which technique will need to come out in an encounter. Thats why questions like what would you do If I did this I no longer entertain because I dont believe anyone can no for sure what they will do in any situation.

But with that said many of the old timers have been known to specialize in one or two hands and of course were said to have used them mostly when in public encounters. An example is Guo Yun Shen and his half step Beng Chuan.

Personally not to be too poetic I look at techniques more like branches that all come off the trunk of a tree. Where the trunk is your fundamentals (footwork, power generation, mindset etc.)

So what would I use? either Beng Chuan or Chun Choi both take the shape of a linear straight punch but each off a different set of body mechanics.

MasterKiller
10-05-2004, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Judge Pen
I was thinking Thai roundouse too until I read what Seven* posted. I think I have to agree with E-fist. Not very sexy, but the most effective and adaptable if you had to stick with a single technique. What are you gonna do if they clinch you or take you down?

Elbows are the equalizer.

SevenStar
10-05-2004, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Palmer
In some ways I see it as a ridiculous question and in other ways its really not IMO.

If the question was "what is the best technique to use in a fight?" I would think it was ridiculous as well. But that's not what the question is. I sometimes spar this way. If I want to focus on a particular technique, I will look for openings to do it as often as I can. Granted, I'll use other techniques as well, but will use that one more than any others. Also, we'll do drills like one person can only to takedowns and the other can only do strikes.

But with that said many of the old timers have been known to specialize in one or two hands and of course were said to have used them mostly when in public encounters. An example is Guo Yun Shen and his half step Beng Chuan.

that's no different than today. cro cop is known for his roundhouse, yoshida for his throwing, etc. all MA will have their specialty. It's by no means the only technique they use, however.

Palmer
10-05-2004, 10:00 AM
Actually in some ways it IS ridiculous and I clearly stated in others it is not. This is a "fight" we are talking about not some sparring session where you can focus on just throws and your opponent is probably not even putting enough pressure on you in the first place. Especially if he is as limited as you.
If anybody thinks that in a real unpredictable encounter your going to be hanging back looking for openings so you can pull off your one allowable technique there crazy. IMO the only reason that someone may throw one technique over another is because they have drilled it to death and it comes out instinctually.

Regardless of what your opinion is I stated that it is both ridiculous in some ways and a valid question in others. Either way its purely theoretical.

Judge Pen
10-05-2004, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by MasterKiller
What are you gonna do if they clinch you or take you down?

Elbows are the equalizer.

I'd wish that I had picked a different technique.

Ray Pina
10-05-2004, 10:34 AM
Actually, the lead right hand is pretty much my "go to" technique. Everything for me starts from there .... pretty much like opening with the King's pawn ... let's out the queen and the bishop.

If someone shoots, I'll throw out the lead hand -- backed up with the left back hand -- not in hopes of KOing (not realistic) but in getting an agressive bridge. From there elbows or sinking or whatever comes into play.

If the other begins with striking, again, lead strike to intercept and get a feel and hopefully find a hole to slip into and T-out ... use lenght and leverage while blocking with the back hand.

Knee-high to waist high round house, lead right hand and maybe pivit step to absorb and play from there.

I find this technique very useful and adaptable. I also don't know if I agree with the "no thinking just "flow" mentality."

There is a lot of thinking, a lot of reading your apponant and adapting .... finding openings, seeking tendencies .... especially when playing with a skilled guy.

Fighting a brawler is different. Things get forced on you so quick sometimes you just have to snap as well and hopefully roll with a strike and gain advantage latter.

But for the most part, most of the fighting I'm doing now -- and I learned this from my last San Da LOSS -- is more brain based than brawn based.

iWalkTheCircle
10-05-2004, 10:42 AM
kick in the knee........

Palmer
10-05-2004, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by EvolutionFist
. I also don't know if I agree with the "no thinking just "flow" mentality."

There is a lot of thinking, a lot of reading your apponant and adapting .... finding openings, seeking tendencies .... especially when playing with a skilled guy.

Fighting a brawler is different. Things get forced on you so quick sometimes you just have to snap as well and hopefully roll with a strike and gain advantage latter.

But for the most part, most of the fighting I'm doing now -- and I learned this from my last San Da LOSS -- is more brain based than brawn based.

I wouldnt want this thread to digress into reality vs competition but really thats what I believe the difference is here. The first example you mention about seeking tendancy's and the time spent "viewing" your opponent and "figuring" them out I believe will let the critical moments pass in a real encounter. I believe real encounters pretty much are brawling events.
Dont get me wrong I dont believe the point of ma training is to go flat line with your brain. Just certain aspects of your training should be more instinctual so it can actually "free up" your mind to be aware of other things like where your opponent "is" at any one moment and how close you are to them or do I engage or retreat. In my experience the people that start thinking to much about what the opponent is doing and how you will react to any individual technique they employ are the ones that very often freeze.

Indestructible
10-05-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by iWalkTheCircle
kick in the knee........

Bingo! I was going to say that. Nothing like a thrust kick to the knee.

Ray Pina
10-05-2004, 10:54 AM
"so it can actually "free up" your mind to be aware of other things like where your opponent "is" at any one moment "

Agreed.

Palmer
10-05-2004, 10:55 AM
Evolution dont get me wrong I'm not against competition as a very viable training medium for actual encounters. I think competition is great.

Vash
10-05-2004, 11:26 AM
Since I can't run, Seiken Oi Tsuki; step in, punch with lead hand.

SevenStar
10-05-2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Indestructible
Bingo! I was going to say that. Nothing like a thrust kick to the knee.

against a moving, opponent, a kick to the knee isn't the one technique I'd like to have in my arsenal. What's the guarantee that you will hit it when you try? What's the guarantee that his knee will be straight enough for you to break it?

If I could use other techiques also, then that would be cool, but as a lone technique? nah. IMO, of course.

MasterKiller
10-05-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by SevenStar
against a moving, opponent, a kick to the knee isn't the one technique I'd like to have in my arsenal. But a teep is better?

Chang Style Novice
10-05-2004, 11:42 AM
It's more ambiguous (IE: versatile) anyway. You can teep a dude anywhere, including the knee, if that's the beset target.

Ray Pina
10-05-2004, 12:23 PM
Seven Star beat me too it.

I was reffing a few guys last night and one guy went for a chip knee shot (they were going light so it was no big deal) but I pointed out to him that when he missed or didn't hit square he wound up in a bad position, offering his flank, when the foot diflected.

I consider it a risky opening: no guarantee of success, chance of losing position AND lack of mobility.

You can't guarantee any technique will do the job, but I believe you want to stack odds in your favor and have back up and double back up.

This is why I like the lead strike. My feet are firmly planted. I can strike out to slow down the attack and step back disengaging (for the most part) or step out like a bull fighter and throw a lead hook.

SevenStar
10-05-2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Palmer
Actually in some ways it IS ridiculous and I clearly stated in others it is not. This is a "fight" we are talking about not some sparring session where you can focus on just throws and your opponent is probably not even putting enough pressure on you in the first place. Especially if he is as limited as you.

as it's a theoretical question, it's not really ridiculous. It's actually quite informational, in a way. No need to keep going back and forth on this though, as we are entitled to separate opinions.

If anybody thinks that in a real unpredictable encounter your going to be hanging back looking for openings so you can pull off your one allowable technique there crazy.

naturally we don't think that way.

IMO the only reason that someone may throw one technique over another is because they have drilled it to death and it comes out instinctually.

bingo. Hence the informational part I was getting at. we are finding out things about the others on this forum. I use the teep alot. efist stated he uses his lead punch alot. Do you repeatedly drill beng chuan? My guess is that the people that reply to this thread won't just pull a random technique out of their arse, but will respond with something they use quite often.

SevenStar
10-05-2004, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
It's more ambiguous (IE: versatile) anyway. You can teep a dude anywhere, including the knee, if that's the beset target.

bingo.

Palmer
10-05-2004, 03:02 PM

"as it's a theoretical question, it's not really ridiculous. It's actually quite informational, in a way. No need to keep going back and forth on this though, as we are entitled to separate opinions."

Some theoretical questions can be ridiculous for all "practical" purposes. It really all depends on the context that the question is being asked and we do not know really why the person is asking the question or how they will use the info for there personal practice. I agree we are entitled to our own opinions.

"naturally we don't think that way"

As a moderator I'm sure you have come across people with very naive perceptions of ma in general. So I never assume anything when talking to someone regardless of the forum.

"My guess is that the people that reply to this thread won't just pull a random technique out of their arse, but will respond with something they use quite often"

See above

Ming Yue
10-05-2004, 08:08 PM
theoretical questions are not practical by definition.

right cross.

joedoe
10-05-2004, 08:19 PM
Palm strikes. They can double as defence and offence.

neit
10-05-2004, 09:03 PM
-assuming only one movement can me made. i'd go with hammerfist chopping. for the same reason joedoe picked palm strikes. being very "longfisty" i overuse chopping as it is. i'm comfortable with them and its kinda my default move.

-assuming other movements are allowed as long as the chosen technique is the one doing the damage. i'd swat and grab with my hand and deliver elbow strike(as the chosen technique).

HopGar
10-06-2004, 09:52 AM
Pow Choy, Poi E Sau, or 7 Star Punch...for now anyways.

MasterKiller
10-06-2004, 09:56 AM
bingo. Since 90%* of all fights go to the ground, how you gonna teep once you hit the pavement?

*not an actual statistic

ShaolinTiger00
10-06-2004, 10:28 AM
single leg takedown.

MasterKiller
10-06-2004, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by ShaolinTiger00
single leg takedown. and then what...?

Meat Shake
10-06-2004, 11:42 AM
Either Elbows, Palms, or a suplex.

If elbows or palms are adequate answers, any type of closed fist punch would just be a punch.
:eek:

;)

MonkeySlap Too
10-06-2004, 11:44 AM
This is a dumb question. Apprarently there really ARE dumb questions.

Only one move? Shoot the poor b@stard. Most efficient one-move technique I know.

ShaolinTiger00
10-06-2004, 12:21 PM
and then what...?

that's the beauty of it MK. the sky is the limit. even if I didn't know another single technique I'd be able to beat the crap out of them if need be, or run away, etc..

MasterKiller
10-06-2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by ShaolinTiger00
that's the beauty of it MK. the sky is the limit. even if I didn't know another single technique I'd be able to beat the crap out of them if need be, or run away, etc.. You gonna beat the crap out of them by doing single leg takedowns all day long? You get one technique for the whole fight, not just until it hits the ground.

ShaolinTiger00
10-06-2004, 12:36 PM
You get one technique for the whole fight

that's ghey! Even your little sister knows how to kick and punch someone (albeit not skilled).

give me one "technique" and I'll let position, gravity, strength, stamina and other natural abilities do the rest.

MasterKiller
10-06-2004, 12:56 PM
that's ghey! Even your little sister knows how to kick and punch someone (albeit not skilled). I didn't make the rules. Iron Fist came up with this retarded thread.

FngSaiYuk
10-06-2004, 01:27 PM
Ok ok ok... I've been reading everyone's posts and I think an awesome technique would be the body slam!

Basically, would play out as-

keep distance, keep distance, keep distance while waiting for an opportunity
opportunity = off guard, out of range punch or kick
at opportunity, get in & bodyslam into anything hard, pointy, whateva
repeat bodyslams at each opportunity

altho', really, for being restricted to ONE technique only, the keeping distance and watching for opportunities are probably THE most important things.
If I decided my one technique would be punch, then any kicks/strikes within range can be met with the punch to wear down the opponent. Always keeping distance and punching in at every opportunity.

Single techinque fighting ends up being rather defensive as the whole distancing and watching for opportunities thing kinda prevents you from initiating attacks... well... if your opponent KNOWS you only have one technique...

SevenStar
10-06-2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by MasterKiller
Since 90%* of all fights go to the ground, how you gonna teep once you hit the pavement?

I'm gonna use short power.

Toby
10-06-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by FngSaiYuk
... body slam!Worked pretty well for Asia at that McThrowdown IIRC. Well, more a shoulder charge than a body slam in the WWE sense but anyway ...

MantisCool
10-06-2004, 08:16 PM
It depends on what the opponent is going to use. If he uses a punch then I would use the front kick. So everytime when he wanted to punch me I would kick him before his punch reaches me! Vice versa, If he uses the front kick I would block or catch his kick and punch him repeatedly. The above techniques would require the opponent to attack first.

Mr Punch
10-06-2004, 11:08 PM
This thread's really funny in a theoretical (definitely not practical) way... :D

LOL at the image of ST00 single-legging someone, waiting till they get up again, chasing them round, single-legging them etc ad infinitum!!

ST, why do you prefer single to double?

Anyone who said 'shoot them' were you being flippant and talking about a gun, or were you being less flippant and talking about a shoot-tackle?

I like neit's answer partly because it's not so predictable. Untrained people are often seem surprised by circular techs that don't resemble a hook, and it would look like a cover before it it them.

Seven's answer is good, as is a wc stop kick. I'll have to get my MMA instructor to show me a teep, I suspect the mechanics are similar to a wc stop kick.

I like the idea of palms, for the reason that joe said, but that at the start of a confrontation people often shove at each other so regardless of how versatile they are it's possibly the most predictable attack.

I think, based on my recent learning, I would go with a shoulder/elbow barge/tai atari. the range is long (with a step in) and like a shoot the timing can make it very difficult to stop, and well planted it can negate the effects of any but the most brutal well-planted kick. Then it gives you some space to run away, try another follow-up technique, or... ahem... keep barging all day!

Mr Punch
10-06-2004, 11:14 PM
BTW, although as many people have said, it'd be pretty useless in a real sit, as 7* said, I think it's valuable as a training tech to just stick to one thing sometimes...

Especially something like in boxing... I have a good jab, although I say so myself (!) which with practice can be a fight stopper itself, though obviously would need some serious work against a good kicker.

So just working the jab, the pak da (is that one tech?!), the double gaun (is that?! - are we allowed 'doubles'?!), the lap da, the soto irimi... etc can teach you a lot about the distancing, timing and effectiveness and help to make it a reflex for the appropriate occasion.

ShaolinTiger00
10-07-2004, 07:36 AM
ST, why do you prefer single to double?

couple reasons Mat.

A Double leg can often put me right into his guard. or it can be countered with a good, square sprawl or even a rice bag reversal (ta wara gaeshi) while the dbl leg would probably be a safe technique on the street, (or in a controlled situation vs. an opponent you know is not skilled in groundwork.) But I always keep in my mind that the person I'm fighting is a better fighter than me in every aspect and that I should never underestimate him. ( thank merryprankster for this.. lucky ******* footsweep!)

A single leg will allow me to clear his guard, offers me more options & transitions if I'm having trouble finishing. maybe he'd stupidly turn on to his stomach and give me his back, maybe I'll drop to knee on stomach and hold him down (or begin to maul him) maybe I need to run!

Meat Shake
10-07-2004, 09:41 AM
A good jab is super important... Opens a lot of doors.

Shaolinlueb
10-07-2004, 10:21 AM
im gonna use the oil myself up technique so they cant grab me. :o

Meat Shake
10-07-2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Shaolinlueb
im gonna use the oil myself up technique so they cant grab me. :o

Actually.. We were talking about sweat being a natural human defense mechanism in shuai chiao the other day... When you are fighting no gi and sweating like pigs, its hard as hell to throw someone or even submit them on the ground.

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-07-2004, 03:23 PM
hooks.

im short and you dont realize how hard i can hit until your gasping for air. of course if you take me down or knock me out you'll never realize how hard i can hit and i will forever have the power of mystery over you.