PDA

View Full Version : building a kung fu mma fighter

Enforcer-
10-04-2004, 10:31 PM
what styles and what kind of training methods breakdown by hours or time frame) would you give to a person you are building to show the mma world kung fu owns? What unique techniques would you have him use and what style for offense what for defense etc.?

SPJ
10-04-2004, 10:47 PM
It is a fair question for all.

Just about any CMA school, you may incorporate some fighting methods into MMA.

It is up to the MMA fighters to decide.

On the other hand, Chinese are rolling out San Da in a big way.

Tai Ji.

Xing Yi.

Ba Gua.

Mantis.

Just to name a few. They all may add to MMA. If MMA people run out of things to attract the crowd.

San Da is gaining a momentum very fast.

I dunno what will happen 10 years down road.

MMA=MT+BJJ+some KF?

San Da+ any style of KF + Shuai Jiao?

:confused:

Enforcer-
10-04-2004, 10:52 PM
yea but with the gloves you cant spot any unique moves, footwork, or anything to make kung fu standout even if the guy could use it. In mma for instance if the guy pulls a double fisted ounch, or a nuckle punch (phonix eye fist) or something like a jointlock than people will say whoah weve never seen that before and there is something unique about this style. But so far all the fighters fight the same way, kickbox and wrassle. You dont even see unique blocks like qing chun lap sao's, nor do they xingyi fighters use evrtical fist ebng quans much or anything. The throws though ins anda I would have to say do have a unique flavor and foten are innovative.

SPJ
10-04-2004, 11:01 PM
Good points.

There are Chan (silk reeling) methods with forearms or the whole body.

The throwing (Shuai) and tripping to fall (Dei) methods that are common to a lot of shools of KF.

Mantis and Tong Bei for example, they move the arms up and down and in circles. Only few (rear to the front) linear punches. They are not upper cut punches either.

There are more techniques that may be adapted into glove senarios.

MMA is not alone. San da is trying to incorporate some KF.

However, sad to say, Chinese fighters trained in San Da usually are not trained in TCMA either.

Again, it is up to the MMA and Sanda fighters to decide what they want.

:)

SevenStar
10-05-2004, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by Enforcer-
what styles and what kind of training methods breakdown by hours or time frame) would you give to a person you are building to show the mma world kung fu owns? What unique techniques would you have him use and what style for offense what for defense etc.?

why be so specific? Who cares which style it is or which techniques you use? All of that is superfluous. Are the current mma guys using the guard from thai boxing, or the guard from boxing? western footwork or thai footwork? Does it matter? No.

pick a style, add grappling, train hard, compete.

As far as a breakdown goes, it would be the same as training I would do for thai/ grappling - bagwork, padwork, roadwork/conditioning and sparring/drilling.

SevenStar
10-05-2004, 12:47 AM
yea but with the gloves you cant spot any unique moves, footwork, or anything to make kung fu standout even if the guy could use it.

gloves won't prevent the footwork from being spotted. But, as I said above, does that even matter?

You dont even see unique blocks like qing chun lap sao's,

you don't see much blocking period. moving, parrying, absorbing, rolling, but not blocking.

Enforcer-
10-05-2004, 01:05 AM
parrying is blocking it is soft blocking. Same with covering up. I noticed though that once most fighters are covered up they will be mauled or taken down.

why be so specific? Who cares which style it is or which techniques you use? All of that is superfluous. Are the current mma guys using the guard from thai boxing, or the guard from boxing? western footwork or thai footwork? Does it matter? No.

the guard in thai boxing is basically the same as the one in boxing. The footwork is a bit different as well as the stepping but hardly toticable difference.

SevenStar
10-05-2004, 01:19 AM
parrying is blocking it is soft blocking. Same with covering up. I noticed though that once most fighters are covered up they will be mauled or taken down.

covering up is more absorbing than blocking. you aren't redirecting anything, you are merely preparing to take the full blow. When you cover up, it's easy to become immobile. once that's happened, it's easy to take you down.

the guard in thai boxing is basically the same as the one in boxing. The footwork is a bit different as well as the stepping but hardly toticable difference.

it's noticeable enough to tell. But, as I said, what does it matter? if you won, you won. Who cares which footwork you used?

jon
10-05-2004, 01:36 AM
what styles and what kind of training methods breakdown by hours or time frame) would you give to a person you are building to show the mma world kung fu owns?
*The main thing would be to have the fighter training for the event at hand. It would be important to make sure that you are well prepared for the standard of competition. I would for example make sure my sparring partners where as good as i could find and also well versed in what ever competition format i had choosen to compete in.
I would definately step up cardio and conditioning training as well as watching my diet much more carefully.

If i had to pick 'styles' to train a fighter purely from a Chinese background (kinda lame but if your elitist towards Chinese fair enough).

Xing Yi for hands.
Swai Chao for throwing
San Da for competition format work

The main reason i would go with these arts is i believe they would be the more applicable to the MMA comp format whilst still remaining fairly flexible as far as cross format or street application would go.

* The gaurd in Thaiboxing is IME quite different to western boxing, Thai boxings gaurd is heavily flavored by the need to defend against high round houses and clinch's.

The footwork is not really that similar either as Thaiboxers tend to be very rear weighted due to the use of low roundhouse kicks.

Having said all of that there is huge varience in between various Thaiboxing camps and various boxing schools.

omarthefish
10-05-2004, 01:40 AM
I didn't used tp care but I am ashamed to say my time spent brwosing internet forums has instilled in me a wierd kind of layalty to "the clan" and I WILL show you your Thai knees are no match for my 8 poles fist!!!