PDA

View Full Version : Girlfriends & Wing Chun

WCFighter
08-13-2001, 08:30 PM
Just curious...

Does anyone here have a girlfriend/fiancee/wife that
doesn't understand your passion for kung fu , and/or feels that you place kung fu before them ?

I love my wife, and she is really giving and understanding and supports my training and all, but
every once in a while I get carried away with my
training and stay an extra 10 minutes, and it drives
her nuts. We do have 2 young girls, 3 and 1, so I totally understand that it stresses her out being at home with them all day; even for 10 extra minutes!

I train 3 times per week (2.5 hours/each time) outside the house , and sometimes I train at home on the wooden dummy/forms/drills/etc as well.

In the book "Complete Wing Chun" where some people
explain the history of different lineages of Wing Chun, one of the authors has a Foreword where he thanks his wife for putting up with his "mistress" that takes up a lot of his time; NOT a woman but Wing Chun Kung Fu itself .

Anyone else experience this?

:rolleyes:

"Kick his ass, Sea-Bass!" - Dumb and Dumber

txwingchun
08-13-2001, 09:48 PM
well i guess i'm lucky because my girlfiend is involved i wing chun. she loves it.

kungfu cowboy
08-13-2001, 11:35 PM
I'm only sorta lucky. She likes watching kung fu movies, and will listen to my spiels on the physiology and psychology of MA, but when it comes to having to actually DO something, like let me "try" a move...ZZZZzzzzzzzz.....

(Its ok though. I just hide her hypodermic needles)

Barry Manilow ain't no vegetable.

Sharky
08-14-2001, 03:18 AM
if this were the KFO main forum, i'd diss your girlfriend real bad.

on a lighter note, you don't overly train that much man, only 3 nights a week.

but sometimes just a little is to much. anyways, you have to look at the big picture, is what you're doing in teh kwoon/gym really worth not being with your wife? i'm sure your wife is a great person so spend the time with her. don't take her for granted. occationally take a day off, and that wil keep her for a week or two :D

Good luck!

Edd

My anus is superiorâ„¢

Sihing73
08-14-2001, 04:24 AM
Hello,

I required my first wife to learn Wing Chun. Actually, I asked her to train with me and she did it out of love. Did pretty good too.

I have since re-married but I have always made it know that Wing Chun is a part of my life and will continue to be a part of it as long as I live. I do not force anyone to practice with me but I do ask that they support me by accepting it. However, I have always insured my family is taken care of so that my training does not become an issue.

I now have five daughters and one son. Out of all of them my 4 and 3 year old seem the most likely to follow in the art. My wife always promises to train with me but never quite does. However, since I train in the morning prior to leaving for work she barely notices except when I go to class. So far it is working.

Peace,

Dave

whippinghand
08-14-2001, 06:32 AM
You have to do what makes you, you, or there will be none.

Nat from UK
08-14-2001, 01:45 PM
My wife complained that i thought more of Wing Chun than i did of her,

Hell i think more of Karate than i do of her.

(Only kidding love if you actually read this)

Nat from UK

WCFighter
08-14-2001, 02:53 PM
Thanks for your responses everyone.

:)

"Kick his ass, Sea-Bass!" - Dumb and Dumber

Losttrak
08-14-2001, 03:34 PM
... is the ISSUE is not the ISSUE. Know what I mean? Usually if she is complaining about your extra training time, it may be she just wants more time with you or away from the kids. =p I am sure she prolly admires the devotion you have to your art but apparently some need she hs isnt being met. Just a thought.

"If you and I agree all the time, then one of us is unnecessary."

JasBourne
08-14-2001, 03:52 PM
Losttrack hit on a very good point. Make sure of two things: one, that your wife gets to have some time every week to do her own thing, whatever that may be (hire a babysitter, foist the kids off on the grandparents, whatever it takes), and two, make sure that at least once a week you two do something together for yourselves as a couple, with no kiddies. Make a date with your wife - go for a walk, take her to dinner, take a shower together, that sort of thing.

In other words, if you want her to respect "your time", you have to respect "her time" and "our time" as well.

BeiKongHui
08-14-2001, 04:39 PM
Lucky for me my wife trains Wing Chun as well.
Chi Sao is great for deciding who has to do certain household chores. :cool:

I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to these teachers.
--Khalil Gibran

Gandolf269
08-14-2001, 05:52 PM
I am lucky in that my wife also trains in Wing Tsun. One of the cool things about that is that we get to do something together, and spend more time together. So that answers the complaint that "we don't spend enough time together", not that she ever complained about that (she reads this forum from time to time. hahaha).

BKH-I like the way you and wife decide who does the chores. Will have to try that one. LOL