PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: E-Fist

WanderingMonk
10-05-2004, 07:13 PM
Evolution Fist,

since you have experiences with both southern mantis and xing yi, may I inquire how similar are the mechanics between the rib power strike in southern mantis and pao quan in xing yi?

Not that I have any experience, just the two body mechanics seems to similar in my untrained eyes.

if anyone else want to chime in, feel free to do so.

Ray Pina
10-06-2004, 06:20 AM
My experience is limited in that I only had one S. Mantis teacher and one Hsing-I teacher.

There LOOKS to be similiarities but from what I was taught there are internal differences.

For examples, both styles realise the necessity of closing the door and keeping the elbows in. But S. Mantis kind of pulls the elbows in, creating that hunch in the back and collapsing the chest .... this can put pressure on the heart.

Hsing-I also controls the center with the elbow, but it from a relaxed, upright position, and the elbows tend to push out, fueled by the upper-back and rib.

Guess that doesn't really answer the question though. I didn't have rib power until training with Master Bond Chan. I only had 3 years of S. Mantis, and most of it was a matter of sparring with a S. Mantis teacher (student of Sifu Norman and Milton Chin). My S. Mantis teacher also utilized modified element punches from Hung Gar (he also studied with Sifu Frank Yee back in the day).

WanderingMonk
10-06-2004, 07:16 AM
Thanks for the quick reply.