PDA

View Full Version : So I'm fighting this capoeira instructor...

SevenStar
10-05-2004, 11:05 PM
As some of you know, my school is like an MA center - there is a kenpo instructor (who actually owns the place) an aikido instructor, a capoeira instructor and my bjj, judo and thai coaches.

Anyhoo, in recent months, we've gotten to be really cool with the capoeira guys. We always watch eachother train, and converse about various things. Tonight, the instructor starts throwing punches at me - he doesn't box, so handling what he was throwing was pretty easy. My coach was talking to one of the bjj students and says "he's being conservative right now, trying to box - he's not doing his jenga or anything" So I provoke him "c'mon, capoeira man, break out your jenga"

OMG....dude was fast as he11. kicks and sweeps started coming from nowhere. I was able to use my teep to stop a few of his incoming attacks, one of which I slid in on afterwards and smacked him with a hook. In addition to the sweeps, he did a double leg as well. I was quite impressed. He wants to work his boxing more and I want to be more mobile, so we agreed to spar on a fairly regular basis.

neit
10-05-2004, 11:16 PM
does capoeira have no hand attacks at all? or just no punching? what i have seen it is all kicks. hard to tell when its so fast.

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-06-2004, 12:28 AM
neat.

MoreMisfortune
10-06-2004, 03:52 AM
Originally posted by neit
does capoeira have no hand attacks at all? or just no punching? what i have seen it is all kicks. hard to tell when its so fast.

They might have palm strikes more or less depending on the style. But violence leads to nothing, I sugest you pratice your breathing :)

SevenStar
10-06-2004, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by neit

lots of kicks lots of elbows, knees and takedowns from what I have seen of it thus far.

SevenStar
10-06-2004, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by MoreMisfortune
They might have palm strikes more or less depending on the style. But violence leads to nothing, I sugest you pratice your breathing :)

I'm glad you now have a positive outlook on life. Maybe things will improve for you now...

Internal Boxer
10-06-2004, 04:52 AM
" But violence leads to nothing, I sugest you pratice your breathing "

I think every reasonable person would agree but you can't learn to defend your self without sparring. Did you pass your driving test by sitting on a chair pretending to drive?

Judge Pen
10-06-2004, 05:32 AM
I thought that since Caporeia was useful for people with bound hands and that's why they have few hand techniques.

lxtruong
10-06-2004, 07:14 AM
did he do that thing where he does a handplant and kicks over his head?

SevenStar
10-06-2004, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by Internal Boxer
" But violence leads to nothing, I sugest you pratice your breathing "

I think every reasonable person would agree but you can't learn to defend your self without sparring. Did you pass your driving test by sitting on a chair pretending to drive?

you gotta know who he is to understand the humor in it ;)

SevenStar
10-06-2004, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by lxtruong
did he do that thing where he does a handplant and kicks over his head?

lol, no.

MonkeySlap Too
10-06-2004, 07:35 AM
I don't know about fighting skills, but the really, really hot girls are in capoeira. Hang out with Seven, you can always get the runnoff...

SevenStar
10-06-2004, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by Judge Pen
I thought that since Caporeia was useful for people with bound hands and that's why they have few hand techniques.

I never see them punch. elbow, knee, kick and takedown, butnever punch. However, they have some techniques, like one of their defensive stances - negachiva (sp?) where one hand is on the ground and the other is guarding their face...you can't do that with bound hands. Like anything else though, I imagine the art has changed some over the years.

SevenStar
10-06-2004, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by MonkeySlap Too
I don't know about fighting skills, but the really, really hot girls are in capoeira. Hang out with Seven, you can always get the runnoff...

yeah, he talked about a major tournament that happens in miami and said the girls there were so hot it's unreal. Also, we had two girls visit his class that train with a group in brazil...All I can say is :eek: :eek:

Shaolinlueb
10-06-2004, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by SevenStar
yeah, he talked about a major tournament that happens in miami and said the girls there were so hot it's unreal. Also, we had two girls visit his class that train with a group in brazil...All I can say is :eek: :eek:

worthless without pics :p

red5angel
10-06-2004, 08:11 AM

Like any other martial art there are plenty of rumors. What I've learned is that capoeira in Brazil was almost as much about showing your prowess as it was fighting. If you could fight and be really impressive with it, then you were a good capoeirista. Also, kicks being more powerful I think they were generally encouraged over anything else.
I can't imagine doing capoeira with your hands bound, you need them free and flexible too much to be able to do it effectively otherwise unless your really acrobatic and have the power to back it all up with.

Kicks, sweeps, knees, takedowns, headbutts, slapping/punching....pretty much in that order from my experience. There are some punches, a few, but they do like palm strikes, if they decide to use their hands. I was pleasently surprised to find out how many takedowns and locks they use as well. More actively then other arts I have practiced.

Capoeira has a neat way of teaching you to become deceptive in your movement. We always practice, small to big and one way ot the other. The basic idea being, as usually, to keep your opponent off guard.

7* - yep, negativa. It's a dodge and transitory move, usually, atleast in the beginning to role (holay). Negativa is also good for switching directions or going from up to down and vice versa.

Oh yeah, and the girls are hot :D

here's some pics of a demo th group I train with did:

http://www.capuraginga.com/interact/gallery.cfm?dir=Photo_Galleries/Minnesota_State_Fair_2002

I'm still trying to find a pic of negativa.....

red5angel
10-06-2004, 08:56 AM
http://www.wu-wien.ac.at/usr/h96b/h9650297/cap-basics.html#negat

that link has a bunch of drawn pictures. It's mostly angola and negativa is one of those techniques where angole and regional differ. In Regional you sort of duck and cover, while in angola you get really low to the gorund....

red5angel
10-06-2004, 09:05 AM
http://www.beribazu.co.uk/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=2&pos=32

not sure if you can see that pic or not but here is a great picture of negativa regional. The entire class is doing it!

this gallery here has a few pics of some take downs

http://www.beribazu.co.uk/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=2&pos=32

lxtruong
10-06-2004, 10:50 AM
lol, no.

That's too bad. I always wonder how many times you would have to try and miss (and subsequently get kicked in the face) before you can do that handplant thing on someone in sparring.

IronFist
10-06-2004, 10:56 AM
We had a guy who did capoeira in the MMA club when I was in college. He was awesome and was always doing takedowns from the craziest angles. I posted some pics of him sparring with another capoeira guy in one of my threads. Search and you can find them.

Shaolinlueb
10-06-2004, 11:03 AM
ba na na waaay ba na na waaay batana!

sorry couldnt resist. that movie was awesome too :o

red5angel
10-06-2004, 11:08 AM
shaolinleub - how about "zum zum zum...."

That's too bad. I always wonder how many times you would have to try and miss (and subsequently get kicked in the face) before you can do that handplant thing on someone in sparring.

I've seen it pulled off a few times, but against other capoeira guys.

Ironfist, do you remember the name of the thread?

Shaolinlueb
10-06-2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by red5angel
shaolinleub - how about "zum zum zum...."

agh you lost me :o

Icewater
10-06-2004, 11:20 AM
Hmm... those are some kewl pics. I'm afraid that I'm far too white to be able to dance that effectively. I would like to spar someone though. Let's see how they react to ran-dam-fu!

red5angel
10-06-2004, 11:24 AM
actually Icewater, it's just about learning rhythm, same thing with any other art. If you can support your own weight on your hands then you're good to go.

shaolinleub - haven't you seen those car commercials? Can't remember what company they're for but they use the zum zum song, it's a capoeira song

Zum Zum Zum
Capoeira Hera Zum
Hey Zum Zum Zum
Hey Zum Zum Zum

Icewater
10-06-2004, 12:30 PM
actually Icewater, it's just about learning rhythm, same thing with any other art. If you can support your own weight on your hands then you're good to go.

Supporting 235 lbs on your hands is not impossible, merely improbable. Me finding some rhythm is about as likely as learning the Pei Mai 5 Step Palm Heart Strike from Beatrice Kiddo.

Shaolinlueb
10-06-2004, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by red5angel

shaolinleub - haven't you seen those car commercials? Can't remember what company they're for but they use the zum zum song, it's a capoeira song

Zum Zum Zum
Capoeira Hera Zum
Hey Zum Zum Zum
Hey Zum Zum Zum

dude thats mazda and they use zoom zoom zoom as in speed and all their typed adds with zoom zoom ;) :o :D

red5angel
10-06-2004, 01:05 PM
sure, but the song is actually zum zum zum.......

MasterKiller
10-06-2004, 01:11 PM
That's also the same sound Red5 makes when he's swallowing semen...

MoreMisfortune
10-06-2004, 01:41 PM
I do not understand why all this hostility MisterKiller, everyone can make a better place if we stop hurting each other, ok? :)

red5angel
10-06-2004, 01:43 PM
fat people are always a little angry inside.

MoreMisfortune
10-06-2004, 01:51 PM
Yes, RedAngle, they are angry since its harder for them to have a girlfriend and also they suffer bullying as kids, but that is no reason for the situation of suffering to enter the everlasting circle now is it? :)
MisterKiller just needs some understanding, it all depends on us all (him included) :)

SevenStar
10-06-2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Icewater
Supporting 235 lbs on your hands is not impossible, merely improbable. Me finding some rhythm is about as likely as learning the Pei Mai 5 Step Palm Heart Strike from Beatrice Kiddo.

there's a big guy in the class here that moves about as well as the smaller guys. And he's more than 235 from the looks of it. I've seen vids of capoeira tournaments also that have big guys in them.

MasterKiller
10-06-2004, 01:55 PM
Yes, RedAngle, they are angry since its harder for them to have a girlfriend and also they suffer bullying as kids, but that is no reason for the situation of suffering to enter the everlasting circle now is it? :)
MisterKiller just needs some understanding, it all depends on us all (him included) :) STFU, noob.

Red5, what's your waist size?

red5angel
10-06-2004, 01:56 PM
7* is correct, you use alot of your momentum to carry you through most of the techniques. It looks hard and some of the techniques take some time to get down, but with anything else, the more you practice the easier it will be.

SevenStar
10-06-2004, 02:00 PM
good job moremisfortune!

group hug for MK...

MoreMisfortune
10-06-2004, 02:04 PM
:) everybody! everybody!
everybody! everybody!
everybody (la ree la lee lah!)
everybody (la ree la lee lah!)

Serpent
10-06-2004, 10:17 PM
So how are you anyway, Xebby?

Ben Gash
10-07-2004, 12:37 AM
I'd heard that the hand issue was down to an African religious belief. They believed that their hands were a gift from God for working etc and that to strike someone with them was wrong.

Enforcer-
10-07-2004, 01:30 AM
As some of you know, my school is like an MA center - there is a kenpo instructor (who actually owns the place) an aikido instructor, a capoeira instructor and my bjj, judo and thai coaches.

Anyhoo, in recent months, we've gotten to be really cool with the capoeira guys. We always watch eachother train, and converse about various things. Tonight, the instructor starts throwing punches at me - he doesn't box, so handling what he was throwing was pretty easy. My coach was talking to one of the bjj students and says "he's being conservative right now, trying to box - he's not doing his jenga or anything" So I provoke him "c'mon, capoeira man, break out your jenga"

OMG....dude was fast as he11. kicks and sweeps started coming from nowhere. I was able to use my teep to stop a few of his incoming attacks, one of which I slid in on afterwards and smacked him with a hook. In addition to the sweeps, he did a double leg as well. I was quite impressed. He wants to work his boxing more and I want to be more mobile, so we agreed to spar on a fairly regular basis.

how come you only train in sport styles? Or the typical mma curriculum?

scotty1
10-07-2004, 05:21 AM
Yeah, why is that Sevenstar?

SevenStar
10-07-2004, 07:35 AM
because that's what I prefer. I did longfist for 4 years, karate for 3, kali and jun fan for two. I prefer what I am doing now. However, had my teacher not moved back to japan, I would probably still be training karate.

SevenStar
10-07-2004, 09:26 AM
because that's what I prefer. I did longfist for 4 years, karate for 3, kali and jun fan for two. I prefer what I am doing now. However, had my teacher not moved back to japan, I would probably still be training karate.

of course, this is merely my politically correct reply. The truth is that tma sucks! :p :D

MasterKiller
10-07-2004, 09:30 AM
And yet, a capoeria instructor gave you problems. :rolleyes:

SevenStar
10-07-2004, 09:36 AM
it was purposeful flash.

PaiLumDreamer
10-07-2004, 03:07 PM
7*, can you keep us updated on how he fights?

When I hear of capoeira, I always think breakdancing. Ive never really heard of them actually sparring...

Like a typical wushu school with breakdancing. There we go.

SevenStar
10-07-2004, 03:59 PM
yeah, I'll do that. There are alot of misconceptions about capoeira, just as there are with kung fu. He does alot of sweeps and takedowns. lots of movement. stays at kicking distance until he comes in for a takedown.... At least that's what I've seen of him so far.

Meat Shake
10-07-2004, 05:46 PM
Does he continually retreat to maintain kicking range if you press him? Or does he attempt take downs if you close the gap?

MoreMisfortune
10-07-2004, 06:07 PM
Oh man... dudes must think "If I only got a dollar everytime i spot a xebby on the road..."

Im the same usual piece of **** and splitting into more pieces
Xepct my hair is longer, havent cut in months
Last time i cut it, the hair cutting dude threw some gay pickup line at me
Dont laugh
Im traumatised and i havent been able to get a haircut since

Enforcer-
10-07-2004, 07:39 PM
of course, this is merely my politically correct reply. The truth is that tma sucks! :p :D

naw, the truth is you wanna be cool like all the popular kids on the block.

SevenStar
10-07-2004, 08:01 PM
Oh man... dudes must think "If I only got a dollar everytime i spot a xebby on the road..."

Im the same usual piece of **** and splitting into more pieces
Xepct my hair is longer, havent cut in months
Last time i cut it, the hair cutting dude threw some gay pickup line at me
Dont laugh
Im traumatised and i havent been able to get a haircut since

you should be flattered. you can't get any play from the ladies, but at least you know someone wants you...

SevenStar
10-07-2004, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Enforcer-
naw, the truth is you wanna be cool like all the popular kids on the block.

you're absolutely right. For my idiocy I will punish myself by holding a deep horse stance for 24 hours, after which I will sign up for a tkd class. Thank you for lighting my path O great one. And actually, don't you "train" muay thai? Pot meet kettle. :p

Go live your ghetto street fantasies through your wanna be thug friend...but do it in the ghetto, not the trailer park....and do it after dark...

Chang Style Novice
10-07-2004, 08:10 PM
As Gertrude Stein might've said (but didn't)...

A mouth is a mouth is a mouth.

SevenStar
10-07-2004, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Meat Shake
Does he continually retreat to maintain kicking range if you press him? Or does he attempt take downs if you close the gap?

depended on how he felt, I guess. He did both. pressing is how I landed that hook though. I intend on pressing hard the next time we spar.

Mr Punch
10-09-2004, 02:13 AM
Don't think so Enforcer, but maybe that's because I read his posts before I post at random. Sometimes.

Nice to see you Xebs! I'll never forget you helping to get my garbage taken out!!!

MoreMisfortune
10-09-2004, 08:56 PM
You're welcome :D Hey, you still living with models? :D

I cut my hair today, at a diferent place, but it was 4 times more expensive on this new place :eek:

Mr Punch
10-10-2004, 02:41 AM
No I traded them in for one! :D

I'm living with my gf... she's pretty hot tho, and nowhere near as noisy! :D

SevenStar
11-15-2004, 02:29 AM
we sparred again last week. from his jenga, his started throwing high kicks. I was able to evade them and jam several of his attempts by applying forward pressure, so he changed his strategy. He begain to attack with more lowline stuff - kicks and sweep attempts. He's quite a bit taller than me and has long legs, so it's nothing for him to kick me at head level.He caught me in the face with a crescent kick, and we stopped after that. It was a good shot. I really like these guys. Anyway, this is a url of one of the guys affiliated with one of the branches of his school - I think this guy is in miami...

http://www.capoeirartist.com/

SevenStar
11-15-2004, 09:20 PM
Gotta have respect for these guys. He managed to get a local elementary school to allow his group to do a demonstration for the kids at the school and some peeps with the board of education. They are contemplating letting him run a capoeira program at the school! If MA can get institued in the school systems - with good instruction... this can be excellent.

Ford Prefect
11-16-2004, 09:09 AM
That's cool SevenStar. I liked it the first time when it was called "Only the Strong" and starred Mark Decosco's as the Capoeira maestre. :)

MasterKiller
11-16-2004, 09:17 AM
Gotta have respect for these guys. He managed to get a local elementary school to allow his group to do a demonstration for the kids at the school and some peeps with the board of education. They are contemplating letting him run a capoeira program at the school! If MA can get institued in the school systems - with good instruction... this can be excellent. We teach 2 one-hour PE courses a week at some of the local schools. We teach the kids a 12-line Tan Tui and let them do combinations on the pads.

SevenStar
11-16-2004, 11:20 AM
that's cool - how hard was it to get that implemented?

MasterKiller
11-16-2004, 11:33 AM
A private elementary school called and asked us to put together a 20 minute show for an assembly and we did, and after that they asked about setting up a PE course. Word got out once they saw our program at that school was working and others called and made the same arrangements.

Right now we just do private schools. I'm not sure how or if we could do the same thing for the public school system.

SevenStar
11-16-2004, 02:31 PM
that's still cool. The school they are doing the demo at is an optional school. It's still public, but perhaps they are run a little differently.

MasterKiller
11-16-2004, 02:37 PM
It's cool because the kids really like it, but the pay is ****ty. We get $150/month from each of the schools for 8 hours worth of lessons; which doesn't seem bad until you factor in that there are like 60 kids in each program. With their teachers watching, though, they are pretty self-disciplined.

red5angel
11-16-2004, 06:28 PM
thanks for that link 7*

I love Capoeira chicks (http://www.capoeirartist.com/p1%20Volta%20Au%20Mundo.htm)

and these (http://www.capoeirartist.com/p1%20nacao%20bat.htm)