PDA

View Full Version : bowflex selettech: best idea i have seen in a while

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-06-2004, 10:07 AM
note: this is more of a training thread, but i wasn't sure what kind of traffic we had over there anymore and i thought this was pretty cool. if its got to be moved i aint gonna cry though.

anyone else see this? adjustable dumbells with the click of a button. seems like an awesome idea to me if they work half as well as the commercials would have you believe.

http://www.bowflexselecttech.com/default.asp?pagesource=key&cookie%5Ftest=1

check it yo.

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-06-2004, 10:09 AM
.... i wonder how they handle though.

MasterKiller
10-06-2004, 10:19 AM
You can buy an @ssload of free weights for $480. What a ripoff.

rubthebuddha
10-06-2004, 10:33 AM
they're pretty and novel, but i'm with MK on this one. anyone who spends $480 on dumbbells better have money coming out their ass.

i'd rather get some good ol' fashioned iron, a bench, and a heavy kb. garage sales are your friend.

red5angel
10-06-2004, 11:15 AM
oh I don't know MK, if you'd stop being an ass for 5 minutes, you'd have probably figured out that while you aren't getting as much "material" for your money as you might if you bought an "assload" of weights, if they work like they claim to work, it's not such a bad deal. I know I could use a space saving item like this if I thought it worked like they claim it works. You'd shell a roughly equivelant amount of money for just as many weights.

MasterKiller
10-06-2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by red5angel
You'd shell a roughly equivelant amount of money for just as many weights. No I wouldn't.

CaptinPickAxe
10-06-2004, 11:56 AM
My friend has the exact same dumbells, but made by Nautilus. He only paid two bills for 'em. You're paying the extra $200 for the name...(and maybe a couple of extra years....)

norther practitioner
10-06-2004, 12:36 PM
$480? It says $350 MSRP

same for the nautilus.

red5angel
10-06-2004, 12:49 PM
you could probably get them cheaper on ebay or something.

MasterKiller
10-06-2004, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by norther practitioner
$480? It says $350 MSRP

same for the nautilus. I was looking at the bottom of the page (http://www.bowflexselecttech.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=SelectTechCatalog&product%5Fid=1254&MSCSProfile=61E4CECF7275066FD87B9817DA5865CBF7D94E 00BDD5C6D7E0BBA2E5E7B79DBFFE9232267D998F1CD3F6DDCC E76A1872333265736885C7C0C741D4F91EA6B0836ED0DB07C2 DD7F7EA6244EEC5CC5D2A5C9EE4247F56D48282E49A8C4620A D2E3CC00C63F667B551F0752E28B92586CFD1C3841F5233355 71D438AC27410C8B87D54D89CF3F9E9737). For $480, you get a chrome stand. Woohoo

Shaolinlueb
10-06-2004, 12:59 PM
i love the idea, its cool and easy. but too much.

mickey
10-06-2004, 02:49 PM
Greetings,

Selector weights are not a new technology.

It would be better if the Bowflex concentrated on improving the possibilities of the machine that they have. Bringing out a free weight line suggests that the Bowflex is not all that great to begin with when it comes to strength development.

Maybe they need the money to offset lawsuits from consumers who got injured by the Bowflex machine.

mickey

red5angel
10-06-2004, 03:04 PM
Maybe they need the money to offset lawsuits from consumers who got injured by the Bowflex machine.

probably the same people who spill hot coffee on themselves.....

rogue
10-06-2004, 03:20 PM
Hoist has a set for under $300 that goes up to 75 pounds.

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-06-2004, 03:21 PM
i think its a really cool idea .... new or not its the first i have heard of them (likely cause its the first time they have been marketed the way they have).

sure you can go buy all the free weights you want at yard sales, the green tab, or your uncle bobs, but then your missing the point. if they work the way the are supposed to, your paying for the convenience. it might not be worth 300 for the convenience, but do you realize how many never used sets are going to be floating around yard sales, the green tab, or your uncle bobs in about a year?

im going to keep an eye on em and then see if i cant find a deal on them next summer or the following. waiting on something like this wouldnt bother me normally, but hell i'll be lucky to be lifting by summer anyway so it's no big deal to me.

and mk and red .... you guys brothers?

red5angel
10-06-2004, 03:27 PM
GDA - onlly in that we're bth doing his mom.....

I'm with you man, I think it's a cool idea and I too wil be looking out for cheap sets to be sold on the auction block. I got yer back too, if I see two pairs, I'll let you know!

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-06-2004, 03:37 PM
sweet .... thanks man.

PHILBERT
10-06-2004, 03:45 PM
That things been around for a few years. I remember reading advertisements in Muscle Media for it, and it costs like $250 for them. I also saw them at Oshman's earlier this year. The only thing you are getting with the Bowflex is the name.

WanderingMonk
10-06-2004, 03:48 PM
For $300+, you are better off buying the cross bow home gym.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2194593&cat=4125&type=21&dept=4125&path=0%3A4125%3A4134%3A5157&xsell=2493510

Yes, it is a rip-off of bow-flex, but it is like 80% cheaper.

mickey
10-06-2004, 04:20 PM
Gentlemen,

Please check out: http://www.powerblock.com/

These guys originated the technology and have been around for over ten years (if not since the 80's). It pays to get the best.

They have a couple going up for bid at ebay.

mickey

mickey
10-06-2004, 04:22 PM
Correction:

There are a couple up for bid at ebay.

mickey

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-06-2004, 05:41 PM
that's not quite what we are looking at wm. i think most of us, if not all of us, on this thread are more interested in free weights. those of us interested in this product are just interested in the quick access to different weight available on the dumbells on the fly.

im checking out the powerblock site now, but dial up is a pain in the ass so it might be a while before im able to actually view it.

Toby
10-06-2004, 07:48 PM
Do they make clanking noises when you pick them up and drop them down? It's not a gym without clanking metal noises.

FngSaiYuk
10-06-2004, 08:07 PM
I've played with these at a local bowflex dealer here. They do clank a bit, they still take up the same floor space as a decent rack of regular dumbells.

I don't know what 'convenience' is being considered here, but if you keep a decent pyramid rack of dumbells, there really isn't anything gained other than the vertical space.

IronFist
10-06-2004, 08:17 PM
$350 for dumbells? No thanks.

THEY ONLY GO UP TO 52.5LBS?????????????

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!

IronFist
10-06-2004, 08:18 PM
Adjust in 2.5 lb increments (up to the first 25 lbs) so you can gradually increase your strength without bulking up.

It never ends, does it?

IronFist
10-06-2004, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by mickey
Gentlemen,

Please check out: http://www.powerblock.com/

These guys originated the technology and have been around for over ten years (if not since the 80's). It pays to get the best.

They have a couple going up for bid at ebay.

mickey

That's what these first made me think of, too. I've never used PowerBlocks before, but it looks like there might not be that much room to fit your hand in there. Looking at that website, they look pretty expensive, too.

What happened to regular adjustable dumbells? You know the kind that you put weights on just like a barbell? I've never seen those in a gym and I'd probably be afraid that the weights would come off or something, but still. Adjustable weight dumbells is not a new idea.

abobo
10-06-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by IronFist

What happened to regular adjustable dumbells? You know the kind that you put weights on just like a barbell? I've never seen those in a gym and I'd probably be afraid that the weights would come off or something, but still.

I wouldn't worry about that - there are good companies that make them (Ironmind, York, etc). And the ones at my old gym were probably brand X and they were fine. Just use a good screw-in collar instead of the spring kind.

Mr Punch
10-06-2004, 09:28 PM
The powerblock ones are pretty pricey too. Up to 125lbs each hand is $800 something. I'm looking for a comprehensive set cos I haven't started doing any weights and I'd like something I can stick with. I hate weight training, so I need a set of something to give me incremental goals. Otherwise I just get bored and go back to bad work with wristweights, heavy suburi bokuto, 8kg of kendo gear etc etc.

The space saving idea is good though, cos I live in a small apartment. Plus I like space saving ideas and economy in general. The other thing about Powerblock is they look like some design nicked out of the first Terminator movie, all square, like putting a Volvo on your hand. Oh well, back to the spinning backflips to impress the ladies... wait, it's a home gym and I live with my gf!
Originally posted by GunnedDownAtrocity
im going to keep an eye on em and then see if i cant find a deal on them next summer or the following. Good plan GDA, dunno if it'll work in Japan for me tho!

Abobo and Iron, in a tiny apartment like in Japan, that extra size (even from a few extra weights lying around) makes a huge difference... that'd be like parking a (small) Volvo in your living room! :D Even a good rack design makes the difference between a sale and not.

A lot of Americans over here (or who have seen over here) think it's kinda ghetto, but although I miss the space, I don't miss the waste. And the design innovation that comes with cramped conditions are thr same ones that bring you credit-card size cameras etc.
and mk and red .... you guys brothers? No they're sisters. Twins. And when they fight, it's always in a bikini for some reason. And the making up's more fun!

FatherDog
10-06-2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by IronFist

What happened to regular adjustable dumbells? You know the kind that you put weights on just like a barbell? I've never seen those in a gym and I'd probably be afraid that the weights would come off or something, but still. Adjustable weight dumbells is not a new idea.

They have 'em at my gym :D

Also, I bought some for my brother at Dick's Sporting Goods at one point, so they're definitely out there.

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-06-2004, 09:48 PM
i have had 4 dumbells like that for years and i never used the ****ers. well i cant say ever, but it was very rarely as it was too much of a pain in the ass to have to change them up mid work out. sure i could have planned ahead and had all 4 out and ready since i have enough weight lying around for my size, and sometimes i did do that, but more often than not i just used the bars as they took less time to adjust. i never had any problems with slippage ... just sloth. hehe. im tired.

point being that the adjustable dumbells are hard to find for a reason. i would much rather have a nice rack set or one of the things were discussing .... any time saved in a work out was worth it to me. not that i didnt like lifting ... i loved it ... but i had a lot of other **** to do with the kid and all.

HanRen
10-07-2004, 03:23 AM
DO NOT BUY BowFlex its junk!!!, trust me, go to all the real Bodybuilding sites , then you will know it sucks. tell you the truth, all you need is a bench, free wieghts, olympic bar, thats it, the most basic, and it wont cost you more than 200$ or less. and if you follow nutrition and program, I am sure you will have results. dont trust those TV Bullchit. just ask all the models on TV, how did you have your muscle? by BowFlex or freeWeight? ok if BowFlex, DONOT EVER touch free weight, if its so great. just take a look at ppl who own Bowflex and try to sell it, and only noob buying it.

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-07-2004, 05:54 AM
i dont mean to sound like an ******* but have you read this thread at all dude?

IronFist
10-07-2004, 11:14 AM
i dont mean to sound like an ******* but have you read this thread at all dude?

That's what I was going to say.

SevenStar
10-07-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by mickey
Greetings,

Selector weights are not a new technology.

It would be better if the Bowflex concentrated on improving the possibilities of the machine that they have. Bringing out a free weight line suggests that the Bowflex is not all that great to begin with when it comes to strength development.

No it doesn't. they are trying to appeal to all markets. DP makes free weights. They also have machines. Does that suggest that one or the other is better? That same company makes treadmills, but also exercise; bikes. Are they sayng that biking is better than walking?

precore makes eliptical machines, but also has treadmills and steppers. What are they trying to say?

SevenStar
10-07-2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by HanRen
DO NOT BUY BowFlex its junk!!!, trust me, go to all the real Bodybuilding sites , then you will know it sucks. tell you the truth, all you need is a bench, free wieghts, olympic bar, thats it, the most basic, and it wont cost you more than 200$ or less. and if you follow nutrition and program, I am sure you will have results. dont trust those TV Bullchit. just ask all the models on TV, how did you have your muscle? by BowFlex or freeWeight? ok if BowFlex, DONOT EVER touch free weight, if its so great. just take a look at ppl who own Bowflex and try to sell it, and only noob buying it.

you should spend less time on "real bodybuilding sites" and more time on real grammar sites...

SevenStar
10-07-2004, 11:52 AM
my school has some power block weights. I've never used them though.

SevenStar
10-07-2004, 11:53 AM
and mk and red .... you guys brothers?

I was thinking lovers...

Chang Style Novice
10-07-2004, 12:10 PM
The idea of adjustable weight dumbells is great, and the execution of the idea looks pretty good, but...

D@MN they cost a lot!

MasterKiller
10-07-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by SevenStar
I was thinking lovers... By proxy, maybe. I mean, I guess at some point he banged his wife, too. You know what they say..When you have sex with someone, you're having sex with everyone they've had sex with, too. Does that mean Red5 licks my bunghole by proxy, too?

Meat Shake
10-07-2004, 12:21 PM
The same compatriot of myself and CPA who has the nautilus dumbbells also has the power blocks. I guess he just really likes space saving stuff... Who knows.
In any case... The power blocks are cool, but the fact that your hand is completely surrounded while holding them limits the amount of workouts you can do with them.

I personally like the nautilus weights. It doesnt take long to set them in the thing and turn a knob. Takes about as long as it does to set down one set of weights and pick up another. Maybe I should invent an automatically adjusting bench... ;)

As far as bowflex goes... Not great for building muscle, but it is great for toning up or for injury rehab. I think it could actually be quite valuable to have a bowflex and do one day a week or one week every six of bowflex work...