PDA

View Full Version : Practicing Cat Stance, LKH Lineage

yutyeesam
10-06-2004, 12:13 PM
When I was taught Dew Ma in the LKH lineage, the waist/hips are turned 90 degrees from the front (empty) leg.

Just wondering if it is ok to practice it with the waist/hips facing the same direction as the empty leg. Like, practice it that way in a static position.

I ask this, because going from dew man to a sei ping ma-tsop choy motion gets more power if there's more waist twisting...and the only way to do it is to have the center/waist/hips facing the same direction as the empty leg in dew ma.

thanks,

Fu-Pow
10-06-2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by yutyeesam
[B]When I was taught Dew Ma in the LKH lineage, the waist/hips are turned 90 degrees from the front (empty) leg.

There are 2 different cat stances. One with chest facing forward and one with chest facing more to the side.

Depends on what you are doing.

And yes it is OK to practice with the chest facing forward, that is how we do it in class.

CLFNole
10-06-2004, 12:25 PM
The hips and waist are seen both ways within our lineage. Of course if you are doing poon kiu cum jeurng yum chop choy for example you cannot have the 90 degree angle.

However when you do the chin lah to start it you should not be completely square to the target. The waist should turn slightly to the right to get extra extension in the chin.

Also after completing the poon kiu cum jeurng just prior to going into the sei ping ma chop choy you should also not be square to the target. While you are in the cat stance the waist should turn to the right while the left hand covers and the right hand goes up by the ear area. This waist turn allows for more power to whip from the waist.

Back to the original question though, the reason that the stance is practiced with the right angle is becuase that is how ng lun ma or lie ma is done. It allows for transitions from sei ping ma to gong ma and dew ma and emphasis waist turning and how to generate power from the waist.

Hope this helps.

GARRA DE TIGRE
10-06-2004, 06:46 PM
The last month i was invited by the head sifu of the argentina’s chan family choy lay fut branch to a special class given by his master , sifu lane louie . who stop in my city with his family before fly to chile , to the choy lay fut mundial championship .
in the class , I’learn his way of perform diu ma , turning the knee inward and open the toe a little outward . In the lee koon hung way , you keep yor knee and toe in a same line . I’v see in videotapes , master doc fai wong also perform his diu ma like lee koon hung branch .

About side diu ma and front diu ma . I think front is more common and more shaolin and maybe the original way of the stance .

CLFNole
10-06-2004, 08:25 PM
Actually we do it both ways. Sometimes the leg is more straight forward and sometimes the knee is in slightly. The inward knee can help to cover the groin in the same manned that the curved in front foot helps cover the groin in the gong ma stance.

Nothing is set in stone and stances and movements can vary slightly from form to form and based on different techniques. These are things that you pick up after years of practice and both analyzing your own forms and your sifus forms.

Peace.