PDA

View Full Version : Arnica???

TenTigers
10-06-2004, 12:14 PM
does anyone know the Cantonese chinese term for arnica? I have an arnica gel which is great for sore muscles, aches, and pains, and I want to see if it is in my jow formulas, or if i can create a god linement with it. Funny, so I have this nice sweet smelling squeeze bottle of gel, it works great, and now I wanna go and make some smelly, messy,homebrew. Like...why?
I guess it's kinda like a hobby-I out grew my chemistry set-now I make jows!

herb ox
10-07-2004, 07:26 AM
I can't help you with the Chinese name for Arnica, but after reading many formulations of Dit Da Jow, I've not once come across arnica as an ingredient other than for "western jow", which is made mostly of the common north American herbs available at most western health food stores. I'd say the main reason for this herb being excluded is since it is indigenous to North America and Europe. It's function from a TCM perspective is not well understood.

I'd also be cautious using arnica as an addition to jow. Many arnica formulations available are as a homeopathic dilution. Concentrated arnica is contraindicated in cases where there is inflammation, a predisposition to hemorrhages, or internal congestions. These are all descriptive of a typical martial injury. So, use with caution, and as always, do your research.

peace

herb ox

TonyM.
10-11-2004, 09:46 AM
Arnica Montana is an herb that will mimic the effects of bruising and swelling in a healthy person, meaning basically that it is a poison. It is used in microscopic doses to trigger the immune system in a person with bruising. Being an immune system trigger it is best used alone (true of most homeopathic remedies). Arnica seems to work well as an ointment but is overall most effective injested. I honestly believe that well meaning allopaths first used arnica externally. Fortunatelly it still works that way. I believe the reason it still works doesn't have anything to do with applying it topically at the site of injury. The reason is that by applying it topically you are reducing the actual amount the body will absorb, and being that homeopathic remedies are more powerfull in smaller doses it is still effective.