PDA

View Full Version : Personal Trainer Certification

Oso
10-07-2004, 06:04 AM
I'm thinking about pursuing some certification as a PT and in nutrition. Can anyone (Ford?) recomend a good organization to do this through. Googled and found AFPA and NFPT and they seemed to offer what I'm looking for.

TIA

Suntzu
10-07-2004, 06:41 AM
NSCA is supposed to be the cream of the crop....... ACE is like the most popular and easily recognized....... ISSA is SUPPOSED to be a good one... kind of expensive... but they have alot of good "smaller" certs that might look good on a wall..... I'm going with NESTA at the moment because i can afford it.... the certs are more for the "customer's" confidence rather then the depth of your knowledge...... as long as you have a good product you should be straight.........

you can always go RKC..... CST or Renegade......

Oso
10-07-2004, 06:51 AM
sweet, I'll google those and check em out. Thanks.

with the opening of my own building this month I'm starting to look more at how to make it a viable full time occupation.

Toby
10-07-2004, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by Suntzu
... the certs are more for the "customer's" confidence rather then the depth of your knowledge...Amen.

you can always go RKC..... CST or Renegade...Something different like what I think those acronyms stand for would be cool. It'd certainly differentiate you from the pack.

Ford's long gone but when he left he said people could PM him and he'd reply.

Vash
10-07-2004, 07:12 AM
NSCA is supposed to be the cream of the crop....... ACE is like the most popular and easily recognized....... ISSA is SUPPOSED to be a good one... kind of expensive... but they have alot of good "smaller" certs that might look good on a wall..... I'm going with NESTA at the moment because i can afford it.... the certs are more for the "customer's" confidence rather then the depth of your knowledge...... as long as you have a good product you should be straight.........

you can always go RKC..... CST or Renegade......

NSCA is the Bomb Diggaty. However, I'm certified through the ISSA, which is a good organization. I'm trying to save up some more moola so's I can get the NSCA course, and I want to participate in Charles Poliquin's (http://charlespoliquin.net/certification.cfm) program, as I nut-ride everything he writes (of course, I do the same to Charles Staley, who is associated with the ISSA). Avoid the ACE. It's absolute garbage. They will teach you things that have no bearing on this or any other physiological reality.

Vash
10-07-2004, 07:15 AM
Of course, I can't leave out Renegade Training (http://renegadetraining.com/rcertification.html) . John Davies is the ****ing man.

Suntzu
10-07-2004, 11:00 AM
with the opening of my own building this month I'm starting to look more at how to make it a viable full time occupation. good stuff..... i'd like to do that one day... so keep us posted on how things go...... also look into "Life Coaching"...... that seems to be a big deal these days.....
Avoid the ACE. It's absolute garbage. They will teach you things that have no bearing on this or any other physiological reality. none of them really "teach" you anything.... i mean.. you MIGHT learn something new but...... plus people KNOW ACE..... people are sheep... so Toby hopes ;) :D

Oso
10-07-2004, 11:25 AM
As I've began paying more attention to the other full time schools in town, I noticed that no one was claiming anything other than their rank and lineage (like the guy who is a '12th Dan (combined)' so I got to thinking that being a CPT and Nutritional Consultant might be a good marketing strategy.

I'd definitely like to be able to learn something from the courses, my knowledge is minimal at best beyond what I know will work for me. But, a high percentile better than it was because of this forum.

Just did a quick google and glanced at the Life Coaching...I want to stay away from that I think...one of the things I hate to see is when the sensei/sifu/coach takes on that role. I certainly don't have a psych degree and my life is no great example for me to opine upon other peeps lives.

Suntzu
10-07-2004, 12:09 PM
so I got to thinking that being a CPT and Nutritional Consultant might be a good marketing strategy. agreed.... and stop stealing my ideas :D.....
my knowledge is minimal at best beyond what I know will work for me. you MIGHT wanna look into a CPT courses at a community college or something..... the stuff i've seen in the by the mail CPT can be a bit overwhelming to look at on your own(if your actually trying to internalize the stuff).... especially the anatomy stuff.... one of the course at a school near me is only like 16 credit hours.... i was going to go that route but decided to just go for the full Exerscie Science degree and pick up a cert on the way...
Just did a quick google and glanced at the Life Coaching...I want to stay away from that I think...one of the things I hate to see is when the sensei/sifu/coach takes on that role. I certainly don't have a psych degree and my life is no great example for me to opine upon other peeps lives. i totally understand..... but it is a HUGE market for it out there.... i guess people don't trust their friends and family's advice any more:confused: .....

Meat Shake
10-07-2004, 12:45 PM
How much does it cost for the NSCA certification? Ive been doing a lot of studying and would like to work at ballys up in minnesota... I figure the better your certification the more likely to get a good job...

Meat Shake
10-07-2004, 12:47 PM
Oso - do you plan on having kettle bells, bench, dumb bells, bags, etc... at your school?

Meat Shake
10-07-2004, 12:52 PM
Ok... Just found the prices on the NSCA page...
All it says though is "retake"...
Im confused.

How much will it cost me to join the organization and get my d@mned certification? This page is full of a bunch of B.S. that I dont care about... I dont need to worry about a "retake"... If Im paying 300$ for a test you're **** right Im gonna pass it.
;)

Suntzu
10-07-2004, 01:09 PM
http://nsca-cc.org/exam_info/

Vash
10-07-2004, 01:16 PM
Dayum, $285 is cheap. I paid $610 (that's counting the shipping) for my CFT course. I actually learned something from it, but mainly I did it for the recognition of the ISSA name.

Oso
10-07-2004, 01:24 PM
Suntzu, stop daydreaming so much when I'm astral projecting:p

Had't thought about the CC. We've got a big one here...I would just have to figure out how to work it in with the day job and 4 nights of classes....

Life Coaching: I don't understand how people have such a hard time figuring out their own minds.

Sidebar: You know, I do believe that martial training improves your life and your overall decision making. I just hate when schools market that martial arts will make your kids straight A students, keep them off of drugs, help them keep focus, whatever.

anywhoo...

MS, well, I just moved into about 864 s.f. I just barely have enough room to lay out my puzzle mats for sparring...coincidentally, when I purchased them I only had enough money to do a 16'4" x 16'4" square...my largest space in the school is 18x18.

but, as far as that stuff goes...yes. The first thing I want is a dip/pullup rack thing...luckily, my newest student is a welder.

I'm definitely looking at the body weight methods more closely now.
I want to get some of the stone locks.

I've only got two good spaces below I beams to hang bags but will...as soon as I can offord them.

I bought a good set of thai pads a while back after a good discussion here about the versatility of them and we've been working with those but I still need a good, thick shield.

Meat Shake
10-07-2004, 01:30 PM
"Dayum, $285 is cheap. I paid $610 (that's counting the shipping) for my CFT course. I actually learned something from it, but mainly I did it for the recognition of the ISSA name."

Which would you recomend?

Oso - Have you looked into any of the shuai chiao excersises? Rock pole, double side rock pole, well pullley, simple belt cracking... Dip and pullup sets are great... Ive got one at home that Im about to get rid of as a matter of fact... but you live a bit far for me to give it to you, and a 70$ piece of equipment isnt worth 80$ of shipping or a drive to San Antonio.... ;)

Suntzu
10-07-2004, 01:34 PM
totally understood about the time crunch....... in that case... i would go for a CPR cert..... a simple enough take home CPT cert.... and spend alot of time in the gym learning from other trainers.......
speaking of
I just hate when schools market that martial arts will make your kids straight A students, keep them off of drugs, help them keep focus, whatever. have you checked out the National Assoc of Professional Martial Artist or something like that?... that's where most of that marketing copy comes from.....

the Title Platinum Body shield is THE SH!T coupled with some thai pads or punch mitts...... don't forget to order enough for all of your student to pair up and use.....

Suntzu
10-07-2004, 01:38 PM
MS- since you have your eye on Bally's(why?.. i don't know) go for the ACE...... ask the trainers their i'll bet most of them have ACE as one of their certs...... NESTA cert is JUST under $200 bills..... not widely known but i'm not trying to get in a Commercial gym.... i just need to finish the d@mn thing.........

Meat Shake
10-07-2004, 02:12 PM
"since you have your eye on Bally's(why?.. i don't know)"

Im already a member there because they had the best facilities and best rates in town at the time(Apart from a rediculously expensive rich person gym out at rogers ranch), and the gym bunnies... Oh dear suntzu, the gym bunnies.... Go to a ballys around 5 or 6 PM... Doesnt matter which one. You'll like what you see. :)

If I get a job there then my membership will be free... Ive got a family membership with a good friend of mine, so chances are if his isnt free, it will at least be discounted. Id rather not be paying to workout while Im in college... Rather be getting paid to work out.

IronFist
10-07-2004, 04:03 PM
I have a NESTA certification but I haven't trained anyone at a gym in like 2 years now. It seems like NESTA, while being inexpensive, makes you do the most stuff to get your certification. I had to take a test, write 6 essays, and make a video! Most organizations just make you take a test.

Vash
10-07-2004, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Meat Shake
"Dayum, $285 is cheap. I paid $610 (that's counting the shipping) for my CFT course. I actually learned something from it, but mainly I did it for the recognition of the ISSA name."

Which would you recomend?

Honestly, after looking at the course material and the methods of test taking, it's a question of how much money you wanna spend. The ISSA course manual and the NSCA manual are pretty dang similar; I just don't like the (in my opinion) importance which is given to VO2 Max tests and the like. So, if you wanna save money, NSCA. If you have the dime to drop, ISSA. My next goal is to get my NSCA.

Toby
10-07-2004, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Oso
I just hate when schools market that martial arts will make your kids straight A students, keep them off of drugs, help them keep focus, whatever.Yeah, just look at Meat Shake :D.

Oso
10-07-2004, 07:01 PM
Yea, I know all about NAPMA.

I'll probably join at some point just for the window sticker.

it's funny, since I've gotten wholesale accounts with Title, Century and AWMA I keep getting these proprietary "MA Instructor Mags" (actually, just from Century and AWMA) but there isn't much in the way of 'martial' content...it's all marketing.

The title article on the latest was "Teaching 'Life' Arts vs. Martial Arts"

what's the ****in point if you're not teaching 'martial' arts?

Can't a brother just teach some fu?

ok, rant over...

My Thai pads are Title's, nice thick leather and beefy stitching and riveting.

Suntzu
10-08-2004, 07:40 AM
I had to take a test, write 6 essays, and make a video! dude.... let me hold your essays.... that part is holding back..... :D i THINK now you just have to submit pictures with a little write up.....
My Thai pads are Title's i love those......
Oh dear suntzu, the gym bunnies.... i train at Gold's Gym.... I KNOW about the gym bunnies... the only reason why i put up with the staffs attitude we get some times....:D

Oso
10-08-2004, 01:38 PM
crap, neither the CC or the University here offer anything...coulda gotten financial aid that way...

yu shan
10-08-2004, 08:56 PM
I`ll check with contacts on this end... go for it!

IronFist
10-08-2004, 11:23 PM
wtf, you guys don't have to make videos anymore?

rubthebuddha
10-08-2004, 11:30 PM
ironfist -- when they had you dress up in that furry costume and parade around in front of the videocamera to the song "i touch myself" -- that had nothing to do with your fitness certification.

stubbs
10-09-2004, 12:44 AM
LOL!! ^^

Wow all your certs seem cheap compared to over here. I'll probably look into a Personal Training Cert next year but first I gotta save up over ?2000 (over $3600!!). Our certificates have to have be a Government recognised qualification if we want to get onto the Register of Exercise Professionals. If anyone's got the time can you have a look through these sites to see what you think about the course content:

http://www.futurefit.co.uk/
http://www.premierglobal.co.uk/
http://www.ymcafit.org.uk/

cheers
________
FERRARI 365 HISTORY (http://www.ferrari-wiki.com/wiki/Ferrari_365)

Meat Shake
10-10-2004, 12:38 AM
"Yeah, just look at Meat Shake ."

What?
Sorry... Its hard to pay attention. Im stoned and staring at my framed G.E.D.
;)

Mika
10-10-2004, 04:38 AM
It all depends on what you need it for, but when I was looking for a job (when I was living in the US), all the bigger gyms required either NSCA or ACSM. Of my about 30-40 job related contacts around the country, there was only place which accepted a certification by a third organization, but unfortunately I cannot remember which one that was...

Be it how may, there is a very good reason why professional level gyms only accept certs from NSCA and ACSM.

If you just want to learn more about the field and maybe earn a few extra bucks, then see which organization - and there are plenty - suits your taste best.

I also recommend ordering some of the practice exams and other material from either NSCA or ACSM, even if you are not going to take their tests. The material they offer is of high standard.

Hope you find something you like :)

//mika

Oso
10-10-2004, 04:51 AM
Mika, initially my goal would be to add some sort of professional credentials to my name so prospective students (parents) felt confident about the program in my school. I don't think I'd pursue it as a career...already trying to do that w/ kung fu.

I think it would also lend validity to any MA teachers school if they had them as well.

The thought was touched off by a thread on the main forum about the fat kid coming in to class. Just because someone is a sifu/sensei doesn't mean they know squat about exercise science but I think that gets assumed a lot. Probably more so by the sifu/sensei then anyone else.

Mika
10-10-2004, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by Oso
Probably more so by the sifu/sensei then anyone else.

LOL...:D

Okay, then just go with whatever you feel is right for you: different organzations sometimes (not always) focus on different things (even NSCA and ACSM differ greatly from each other after the first certification; NSCA is more strength/athletic performance oriented and ACSM leans more toward the clinical side of things). I think what you could also look into is how much additional training and certs they offer - in case you really get into it. It would kinda suck if you had a cert from some organization, then wanted to learn more, but would have to go somewhere else for that - and then they would have you take their first level cert test (which would probably be very much like to one you already took with the first organization).
Also, if they are closely connected with academic organizations (not just a university or two), publish something (even a newsletter), or work hard to get their name out, then it might be worth your while to have another look at them.
Of course, how much support they can offer you (do they have a national office, for starters) after the cert, can matter. And that you wouldn't have to travel too far to take the test.

You'll find something! :)

//mika

IronFist
10-10-2004, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by rubthebuddha
ironfist -- when they had you dress up in that furry costume and parade around in front of the videocamera to the song "i touch myself" -- that had nothing to do with your fitness certification.

It didn't?