PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Broken Wing
10-07-2004, 08:19 PM
I have not seen a sort of a beginners forum to get started so in earnest I hope this is ok.
I am relatively a beginner to MA in general and a novice in Tai Chi of which endeavor i am pursuing. It is for health but would like to learn the "martial" side of it as well. I recall either somewhere that someone went in for health but got the "martial" aspect of it so maybe patience is all i need.
My querie is more on a cultral level i guess. Are there "unwritten" rules I should be aware of? Reason is i got this sort of "feeling" i did something wrong and really don't know what, when I left class to go home. It was after i got halfway home that it hit me. The premise I presume is i was asking questions on how to do certain aspects of Tai Chi: the form, the exercises, that sort of thing. I know he said he would teach me the "martial" aspect at his center but now just learn the hea;thy version. The thing is he teaches sort of "monkey see, monkey do approach" and i really see nothing wrong if he actually helps with all the aspects of teaching. i just want to do it right and was confused on how to hold certain positions and such
I could be reading too much into this too but what I felt was a "turned off" attitude meaning he just stopped talking and cold to me (actually had one of his students sidetrack me.) The thing was he was talking to me, not the other way around that's what I am trying to figure out. He's Chinese BTW
Did I paint myself into a corner here and answer my own question?:(

WanderingMonk
10-09-2004, 07:51 PM
Does students in this school spar? Do you see students practicing drills? Do you see students practicing push-hands?

If you don't see these, you won't be learning the actual martial aspect of the art. Some application might be shown in class but one need to practice against resisting partner to properly learn the martial aspect.

You have to pay attention to how the teacher treat you in the future to know if you paint yourself into a corner. I won't worry too much about it. If you find that you guys can't get along, you might want to switch school.

oasis
10-10-2004, 07:25 PM
If you are interested in learning the deeper aspects of taiji you may want to consider getting books that interpret the taiji classics or delve into the martial side, such as those by Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming. For starters, you can reflect on this (http://www.denver-taichi.com/frame_10ess.html)

and another commentary (http://www.taichiproductions.com/articles/display.php?articleid=16) of yang cheng fu's 10 precepts

good luck in your quest

Broken Wing
10-11-2004, 03:51 PM
First off thanx for the replies
in response to the first reply...I was at class and Sifu wasn't there so I was able to ask a very capable assistant who has been with him for 8 yrs and was said that this is how he operates and that he most assuredly wants us to learn his system or whatever. He just wants us not to rely on him that we should learn to do it ourselves. Also, i was told that he has a center and if he deems it, he'll begin to teach on a different level...ala, "when the student is ready..." type of thing. So basically methinks i jumped the gun. Though i usually don't ask questions until a complicated issue arises anyway (though, this time i started to ask from the get-go).
I take it that's how he'll mnow who's serious and healthy and willing enough to go on as i am finding out can be a very ardous journey.
thanks for the 2nd reply as i printed it out and am lookimg over it and that is sort of complicated, too.
Also though Tai Chi is a soft art it is nevertheless very hard ;-) :)
As an aside i like both names

Buddy
10-11-2004, 08:11 PM
Sorry, This sort of stuff is Bullsh*t. I would tell you right away what you want to know. It wouldn't do you any good until you've practiced long enough to understand what I said anyway. This whole sort of Chinese mystery crap is nonsense.
Books won't do you any good until you already know what they mean and Yang's books never will. The training for health is the same as the training for martial arts at least in the beginning. Anyone who says otherwise is hiding something.

BAI HE
10-11-2004, 08:21 PM
Within six months, you'll realize that books and words are just crap. Most of the books are either way too esoteric, badly translated, show nothing and or were written by someone who didn't know what the fahizzle they were talking about.

I can sell you a bunch if you'd like. So many books, collecting sooo much dust on my shelves.

Broken Wing
10-11-2004, 09:00 PM
" I can sell you a bunch if you'd like. So many books, collecting sooo much dust on my shelves" LOL
I figured as much really. As it seems to be with most MA's out there. I like the fact that at least I can get healthy ie my doc told me the bp level is down a bit, but that may be only b/c i exercise lol.
i like the art and was fascinated by it for a long while. I, as well like Aikido, Kung Fu, and some others. as already known that not everyone is suited to the same MA.
Definately not in Tai Chi for the "esosteric" aspect and like buddy said he could tell me the same thing but i can only find it out on my own. yes it does bother me about the secrecy part as it can lead to one feeling left in the dark wondering why on any level or train of thought or a little on the biased side but alas and alak not even the arts are immuned to that either. (another thread i suppose)

Buddy
10-12-2004, 12:52 PM
"Definately not in Tai Chi for the "esosteric" aspect and like buddy said he could tell me the same thing but i can only find it out on my own. yes it does bother me about the secrecy part as it can lead to one feeling left in the dark wondering why on any level or train of thought or a little on the biased side but alas and alak not even the arts are immuned to that either. "

Let me be clearer. I WILL tell you what you want to know. Email me and I'l be happy to. One of the ways I understand about my own students progress is by the questions they ask. As long as I don't have to type too much I am happy to comply.
Buddy
Yizong Bagua
Dragon Gate School