PDA

View Full Version : during sparring with a tkd guy

wingchunwsl
08-14-2001, 04:58 PM
hey yall! well, i finally got to spar my friend. i think it was actually pretty hard, since i haven't gained enough experience and confidence.

anyhoo, while we were sparring, he actually didn't do that much kicking. when he did kick, i did sort of a pak sao and went in and aimed for his face. just wondering, but do you guys think this is something suitable to use for a kick?

besides that, when he was hitting i tried to shift at a 45 and i used more kwans.

overall, it was a pretty good experience. we're going to be sparring more so i hope it'll help improve myself.

Losttrak
08-14-2001, 06:47 PM
I used this on my old full-contact partner who was 200+ and it was always a hit. Disrupt his base by doing a version of a twisting kick. The original "twist kick" is like a front snap kick turned sideways. If fired from the front right leg, the knee hooks up 45 degrees to the left of the target then the knee cuts to the right sending the foot(heel) horizontal into the body like a whip. This technique requires alot of flexibility/torque in the hip. My variation begins the same but slams into the back of the knee(with the instep), then when you plant you shift into a stance rotating on the ball of your foot so your heel faces the right. Its similar to a high horse stance, and bear in mind its simply transitional. Once his base is disabled then you can proceed to pummel him. Its a glorious kick/stance combo that has caught everyone i used it on off-guard(even gives you their back). It may seem strange at first but you need to get your "rhythm" down to make it powerful. Cant be skimpy on the hip motion! I worked it out since I wanted to have a powerful front leg strike that didnt always come from the same direction. Give it a whirl.

"If you and I agree all the time, then one of us is unnecessary."

EmptyCup
08-14-2001, 08:51 PM
you said you used pak sao...on high kicks?

And you said the sparring was hard and you didn't hurt your hand in any way? where was contact made...the lower heel of the palm or the wrist? I know when I want to play it safe I use the wrist to catch the attack instead of trying to time the palm contact because the fingers can be easily sprained...

I am curious as I have a great interest in wing chun versus kicks :) I started a post a while back about entering techniques on good kickers...

rogue
08-15-2001, 04:55 AM
wingchunwsl, glad you had fun. what kind of hand techniques did he use?

Also, anybody have a vid or pics of kwan sau?

Rogue, you're an @ss!! Watchman

Adventure is just a romantic name for trouble. It sounds swell when you write about it, but it's hell when you meet it face to face in a dark and lonely place.
Louis L'Amour

BTW, did I mention that Rogue was an @ss? Watchman

wingchunwsl
08-15-2001, 08:10 AM
emptycup, i blocked it with the palm of the hand and tried to slap it away.

rogue, when not kicking he used straight punches really quickly. he also used this palm strike thing but i've never seen it in tkd. he says he studies some hapkido so maybe it's under that.

sorry guys but i was totally wrong bout countering the kicks. it turned out that i could use kwan sao to counter kicks. so very sorry. :o :(

my approach for countering kicks was wrong. thanks for all your tolerance people, of my ignorance.

aelward
08-15-2001, 09:22 AM
One technique that you see among Sifu Duncan Leung and Sifu Allan Lee's students is a kwan sao against TKD round kicks. However the bong is more like an elbow strike from Biu Jee.

A couple of years ago, some TKD guy walked into Duncan Leung's school and challenged him to a fight. Sifu Leung answered by saying that TKD kicks were quite powerful, and did he think this TKD could land a high roundhouse to his head. The TKD took this hook, line, and sinker, and arrogantly agreed. Of course, now Sifu Leung knew the kind of kick and the target. Up came the kick, down came the kwan sao. The TKD guy had to sit for two hours before he could slink out of the school.

JK-
"Sex on TV doesn't hurt unless you fall off."

aelward
08-15-2001, 09:24 AM
However, I should add that my Sifu taught us not to use hands against feet if I could at all help it, but rather to put thrust kicks into a kicker's lead leg to either jam, or disrupt his base...

JK-
"Sex on TV doesn't hurt unless you fall off."

chi-kwai
08-15-2001, 02:10 PM
... sieung gan. think gan sao and tan sao. it is the response to a kick when it comes in on the side where your wu sao is. used in conjunction with a sit ma or at the least tow ma, it should supress the kick.

another response to a high kick is double jum sao. I don't use this very often, but it is valid.

Finally, try kicking his leg as it rises off the ground. Aim for the leading edge around his ankle, catching it on the way up. Let your kicking leg lead you in and continue your attack.

there are quite a few other responses to kicks, but these are some of the simpler ones.

--
chi kwai

mun hung
08-15-2001, 07:00 PM
Now that's my kind of story!

It is all in the application, and your confidence in it's ability to work. In other words, not only do you have to know how and when to apply it, but have the confidence and guts to use it at the appropriate time. It's easy to say "it won't work" if you don't know the application or if you lack the confidence to use it.

As far as other defences against the roundhouse goes - yes, they would work also. (really depends on your opponent) But remember kwun sau is just one of many weapons in our arsenal to be used. Finding the appropriate time to use them is the real trick.

IMO, the kwun sau is easier to apply and does'nt require as much energy to use compared to alot of other defences. IMHO, breaking the opponents weapons is just as good. ;)

Slayer
08-16-2001, 09:24 AM
I just jam the kick and take the space, when I do that I make sure I touch hands, after that, let the sensativity take over.