PDA

View Full Version : Martial arts in action flicks....

Lee Kwan Shan
10-09-2004, 07:15 AM
Ok, so back in '99 about when I started taking Kung Fu, I saw The Matrix. I watched that first fight scene between Neo and Morpheus in awe. They were so good in my eyes. After awhile as my skills progressed I'd watch that fight scene and they no longer looked that great. Now I watch that fight and they don't even look good.

Which makes me wonder how people think that you can train a person to do something that in history has taken decades to acheive true mastery in, and try to make them believable in the timeframe of half a year. You can't fake martial arts with only 6 months of training, no matter how hard it is, yet they continue to attempt doing it in every American action flick. My Sifu is always telling me about the American movies he's watched and how the main characters totally sucked at martial arts, haha.

And it's not just in martial arts, you can't train somebody to paint in that amount of time, either(me being a painter and knowing the frustration). But I guess the producers are just counting on that nobody watching knows martial arts. I dunno, I'm not saying I can't enjoy it, but it's certainly less enjoyable when you notice all the sloppy movements and footwork, and unstable stances.

Especially in Kill Bill. Tarentino was saying that Uma picked up swordplay really really fast and that she was really good at it. No offense, Uma, but you sucked at it. Not to sound harsh, but I wouldn't expect anything more from her in that amount of time. In fact she's actually pretty good for the time she spent on it. But anyway for all the more complicated swordplay they had to bring in a double named Satya who is actually a member of the Ninjai Gang if you've heard of Ninjai. You just can't fake good Martial Arts.

Seems like in America they look for a good face first and then train them in whatever they need to learn. But as Jackie Chan was talking about in a doc about Drunken Master, when they make action films in China, action is key. Acting and dialogue isn't a huge part of their movies, so when they're doing an action flick they'll actually bring in stunt people and martial artists to star in the movie, because it's an ACTION film. I like that philosophy. I mean not that I want bad acting in a movie, but if it's an action film it should have good action not good acting.

Starchaser107
10-10-2004, 08:15 PM
unfortnately for the discening consumer, money talks , and money runs the industries. the industry doesnt care any money its just interested in money and packaging, not content :) i suppose we just have to accept it until we are in a position to do something about it.

Jet Johnson
10-11-2004, 09:34 AM
A Hong Kong movie director (I forgot who) said him and a few other directors were trying to get back to the "Old Skool" formula of using real martial artists and limiting the use of CGI and wire-work. But he also said that would probably take a while, due to the current trend and popularity of using "pretty", untrained actors and a lot of effects. Hopefully it'll happen in our lifetime.

Starchaser107
10-11-2004, 09:52 AM
I thought the "old school " formula was wire works and fantastic supernatural abilities. I was under the impression that realistic fighting approach to film was Bruce Lee's innovation.

doug maverick
10-21-2004, 11:35 AM
my company M.A.T.E. inc is devoted to producing high quality martial arts entertainment, we are currently in an extended run of our first production white eyebrow and the destruction of shaolin, with and all martial arts cast who can act with the best of them!! check out our sitehttp://www.freewebs.com/mateinc

Waxwood rod
11-06-2004, 01:16 PM
Nothing beats an old "B" Western saloon brawl for fighting action.:D

norther practitioner
11-06-2004, 05:20 PM
There is some of both in Old School Chase.. it just isn't that great...lol

Shaolinlueb
11-06-2004, 11:26 PM
they m,ean like old school shaw brothers flicks? :D