PDA

View Full Version : What the... is it ok to round the back?

_William_
10-09-2004, 10:17 AM
http://www.exrx.net/ExInfo/DangerousExercises.html
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/ErectorSpinae/BBStraightLegDeadlift.html

I always thought that it was dangerous to round the spine forwards during a stiff-legged deadlift, but this person says otherwise... Or maybe I am misinterpreting what this guy is saying?

Well I would like to hear a second opinion from you guys. I have never heard this before.

???

_William_
10-10-2004, 04:37 PM
Come on guys, surely someone can help me on this. This is a serious topic.

I will quote what I see as relevant:

I must admit, that this site is one of the most complete one I've ever seen. But some of the exercises depicted have serious flaws to them. Take for example the stiff-legged deadlift. In the clip, the individual loses his lordosis during the lowering of the bar. This will only ensure ligaments being stretched and create greater instability in the lumbar region.

- "concerned visitor"

Reply:

Fleck and Falkel (1986) site a study that demonstrates compression forces are not excessive when the lumbar spine is flexed and the weight is held close to the body. In addition, intra-abdominal pressures generated during heavy lifts reduce extensor movements, thus further reducing stresses on the lumbar spine

I perform the straight leg deadlifts working up to 495 lbs with complete spinal flexion with the bar touching the top of my feet. I can personally assure you I have little instability in the lumbar region after years and years of regularly performing this exercise.

(the bolding is mine)

So it is ok to round the back? Or is "complete spinal flexion" not the same as rounding the back?

Toby
10-10-2004, 08:51 PM
Try it (carefully!!). My lower back doesn't like being rounded at all and certainly reminds me of it if I do round it.

_William_
10-11-2004, 05:10 PM
Ok, I'll give it a try tomorrow. At the very least it can be a learning experience...

Toby
10-11-2004, 06:54 PM
If it were me, I'd do it with super-low weights (an unloaded bar probably). I should retract my "try it" advice - I'm just wary of you setting yourself up for injury.

Serpent
10-11-2004, 09:53 PM
I would strongly advise against it.

FuXnDajenariht
10-11-2004, 11:19 PM
Nope. Its not really healthy at all. Your was mother was right to tell you to sit back in ur chair

Mika
10-12-2004, 06:58 AM
Rounding your back is rarely a good idea at the gym. I unfortunately know way too many people who have hurt their back either trying something similar or just out of ignorance (they did not know any better; a PT meeting should be mandatory for all new members at all gyms, IMHO). One of my best friends has a fcuked-up back because of this. He needs regular adjustments and physical therapy. Not fun.

Be safe, have fun, be smart :)

//mika

IronFist
10-12-2004, 05:00 PM
The spine is very strong when arched.

It is very weak when rounded.

If you want to try it, try it without weights.

You could do round back exercises for years and be fine, but if you mess up it's probably going to be very bad.