PDA

View Full Version : Thank You Hendrik!

Jim Roselando
10-11-2004, 10:53 AM
Hello all,

This weekend I had the pleasure of meeting Hendrik Santo and seeing the Yik Kam/Cho art first hand. I travelled from Boston to San Jose for the weekend and listed below are just some of my personal views after a very nice experience!

Yik Kam preservation is very nice. Very nice! The SLT and other aspects truly represent the qualities of Rou Jing and whole body connection/power. One of the things that is very important to me is what the art does to your insides as well as the fighting applications. Yik Kam's SLT indeed cultivates you inside and out!

Another important thing I realized over the weekend was just how similar Yik Kam's/Cho's methods were to Leung Jan's Pin Sun WC and the Fung's. Hendrik's own words sum's it up tho:

Wing Chun is Wing Chun after all!

Yet! Seeing how close many aspects were did let me realize that the art Leung Jan must have learned had to be very very similar to Hendrik's as even tho I preserve his final synthesis I can indeed see so much similarity of what Leung Jan felt were the essentials in terms of names, movements, etc. etc..

Hendrik is an extremely generous person and very fun to be around. His knowledge of the art was deep yet modern. Also, his knowledge of classical infomation was fantastic as he helped me understand different concepts that guide the WC art. I was also lucky enough to be shown lots of old pictures and info. of the Cho's, Crane and Emei stuff. For me I was like a kid in a candy store! :D

Certain things that really put a smile on my face was Hendrik's down to earth approach and lack of ego! Hendrik preserves and an amazing old lineage of WC yet thinks its not the platform that matters its how you use the body and tools that make the platform work. All the "little" details! This all goes back to whats going on inside!

I could keep going on and on but I just thought I would do a brief write up of a very nice experience. I think anyone who has an open mind and is interested is the evolution of WC should get to know Hendrik! A true gentleman and wealth of knowledge!

Respect to Yik Kam lineage and Hendrik Santo sifu from me and the Koo Lo family!

Regards,

kj
10-11-2004, 11:07 AM
Hi Jim. So glad you had the opportunity of time with Hendrik! My observations are much the same as yours. :)

Regards,
- kj

PaulH
10-11-2004, 11:25 AM
I'm looking forward to have the pleasure to meet Hendrik too. Love to race my reliable and dependable Toyota Accord against his DMX! =)

yellowpikachu
10-11-2004, 11:35 AM
Thank you Jim and KJ,

As for the Ego part, nah, I blown up last night about some confusing Schedulling issue on my wife. I lost my Awareness big time! :mad:

So, hahahha, there are lots of Ego hidden and hide in my body, I need to go practice my Awareness by transcending the subjective experience to objective today. Will call my wife to appology on the blown up too.

Thanks again Jim for the great meeting!
and appreciate greatly for your sharing of your art!

Yup. Wing Chun is after all Wing Chun.
and Going NO WHERE is actually NOW HERE!
(see talk is easy but I lost it last night and blown up. Trying to Go SOME WHERE. hehehe, what a dump pikachu!)

better go to meditate now.

yellowpikachu
10-11-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by PaulH
I'm looking forward to have the pleasure to meet Hendrik too. Love to race my reliable and dependable Toyota Accord against his DMX! =)

Sorry, no race is welcome. you can bring the Totoro here if you want!

http://utd500.utdallas.edu/~hairston/totoro.html

PaulH
10-11-2004, 11:53 AM
I would never race against friends especially with you! =) What's for? It is more fun to learn from one another. I love to understand and research on how you use your DMX engine. That's it! =D

old jong
10-11-2004, 12:14 PM

I know about "Honda Accord"!...:confused:

yylee
10-11-2004, 12:27 PM
pokemons (yellow ones) could be quite dangerous, watch out when they blow up on you! :D

PaulH
10-11-2004, 12:29 PM
Old Jong's never wrong! Toyota Corolla it is! Thanks!

Ernie
10-11-2004, 01:59 PM
Jim
glad you had a great time one of the reasons i give Hendrik such a hard time is because i'm aware he has a wealth of information and knows what he is talking about

like to call him out on it [ it's a hobby for me =) ]

so Hendrik

i will never stop giving you hell but remember it comes from a good place :p

nice to see you connecting with people on the forum , nice to see your information being shared

you should hook up with paul , he has alot of respect for you ;)

PaulH
10-11-2004, 02:05 PM
Ha! Ha! Ernie! Hop on my car on the road to San Jose!
http://www.allposters.com/gallery.asp?aid=67484&c=c&search=15586

=)

Zhuge Liang
10-11-2004, 02:08 PM
Hey Paul,

Why not come up to Silicon Valley so we could throw another "party/gathering." It'd be good to see you again. Invite your friends! :)

Alan

PS. I'll be out of the country until late November, so early December would be the best time for me. You can crash at my place if you like.

Ernie
10-11-2004, 02:09 PM
Ha! Ha! Ernie! Hop on my car on the road to San Jose!
http://www.allposters.com/gallery.asp?aid=67484&c=c&search=15586

=)

Man you know me i'm always down to meet people , but i don't hendrik wants to deal with my [ modern ] ass :D

your into past man you would really get into it more then me
but if training methods are involved i'm totally down

PaulH
10-11-2004, 02:16 PM
Thanks, Alan! I'll keep your generous offer in mind when I'm around your area. Would love to meet you and your friends again!

Best wishes,
Paul

Jim Roselando
10-11-2004, 02:18 PM
Hey all,

Hendrik!

Thanks again!

It was a pleasure to see Yik Kam art and meet you.

Ernie!

Yes! This old internet thing has been good to me over the years. Made a lot of friends and met some real good martialists. Its nice when fellow Wing Chunners get to exchange and share. Its also nice to put a face to those with whom you write to regularly!

I know you like playing devils advocate with HS! If you thought he was not worth chatting with then you probally would just ignore him! hehe

Paul and I chat regularly and have become internet friends. I am sure in the future we will meet and share lots with each other! We have mutual respect for each other as we leave the ego at the door and just share. Thats the best way to grow.

Gotta run!

reneritchie
10-11-2004, 06:12 PM
Hey Jimbo,

Hendrik's the man. The often hyper, sometimes boderline bi-polar, always extremely knowledgeable and awesomely cool man.

Sounds like we had similar experiences with him.

canglong
10-12-2004, 08:36 AM
originally posted by Jim R.
I think anyone who has an open mind and is interested is the evolution of WC should get to know Hendrik! A true gentleman and wealth of knowledge! That all sounds good and well Jim and that being the case I have a few questions for you.

1. Is Hendrik the only person you are willing to travel and meet with?
2. Is there anything that you and hendrik disagree on?
3. Have you ever met the Grand Master of Chi Sim Weng Chun?
4. Being the objective minded person you are who would you suggest meeting as a counterpoint to Hendrik's theories?

Thanks ia,

t_niehoff
10-12-2004, 08:45 AM
"The" grandmaster of Chi Sim Weng Chun? Do all weng chun practitioners agree that there is such a person? Or who that person is?

And, fwiw, why would a wing chun person necessarily care to visit any "grandmaster" from another martial art? Should we also visit a choy lee fut grandmaster, and a hung ga grandmaster, or a bak mei grandmaster?

Is any of this necessary to developing good WCK?

Terence

canglong
10-12-2004, 08:52 AM
And, fwiw, why would a wing chun person necessarily care to visit any "grandmaster" from another martial art? Should we also visit a choy lee fut grandmaster, and a hung ga grandmaster, or a bak mei grandmaster? In most case yes in order to know the subject but in your case Terence I say most definitely because you leave no doubt you don't know what you're talking about!
interested is the evolution of WC This is an adults conversation Terence if you don't like the topic kindly step and find your way to another thread.

t_niehoff
10-12-2004, 08:57 AM
I'm sorry, but I didn't quite get your answer -- are you saying these is such a thing as "the" (as opposed to "a" -- one of a number) grandmaster of Weng Chun? A simple question: yes or no will do.

Terence

canglong
10-12-2004, 08:59 AM
Oh so now you care, a simple yes or no will do

Jim Roselando
10-12-2004, 09:04 AM
Hello,

That all sounds good and well Jim and that being the case I have a few questions for you.

Ok! As long as this topic is kept from going into the toilet.

1. Is Hendrik the only person you are willing to travel and meet with?

Nope. Travelled to meet many people over the years from many different WC families. I visited, YMWC guys, Pan Nam WC guys, Yuen Kay San WC guys, Fut Sao WC guys, Other Koo Lo guys, etc. etc..

2. Is there anything that you and hendrik disagree on?

Our visit was not about agreeing and disagreeing. All people have similarities and differences. It was more about sharing and seeing Yik Kam art was very important to me as it made my beliefs stronger.

3. Have you ever met the Grand Master of Chi Sim Weng Chun?

Nope. I have spoken to Andreas via e-mail a few times and seen lots of footage of him. While it looks like a nice art, and Andreas is talented, I mainly am interested in Wing Chun. I have to agree wtih Terence on that one.

4. Being the objective minded person you are who would you suggest meeting as a counterpoint to Hendrik's theories?

There are lots of people in the world who agree and disagree. Its best to visit as many as possible, if that is an interest to you or anyone, and compile as much info. as possible on similarities and differences. Yet! This has to be based on known info./arts that can be traced and from there the more or less likely will start to stand out. This is just my opinion.

Thanks!

t_niehoff
10-12-2004, 09:07 AM
I was just wondering whether your use of the phrase "the grandmaster" was accidental (if so, OK, accidents happen) or deliberate (that you believe there is a sole grandmaster of weng chun). I guess you don't want to get "pinned down" by telling us what you meant!

Terence

canglong
10-12-2004, 09:12 AM
Our visit was not about agreeing and disagreeing. All people have similarities and differences. It was more about sharing and seeing Yik Kam art was very important to me as it made my beliefs stronger. So you are only interested in meeting with people that share the same beliefs as yourself?

Nope. I have spoken to Andreas via e-mail a few times and seen lots of footage of him. While it looks like a nice art, and Andreas is talented, I mainly am interested in Wing Chun. I have to agree wtih Terence on that one. VS.
I think anyone who has an open mind and is interested is the evolution of WC or should it be
I think anyone who has an open mind and is interested is the evolution of WC should get to know Hendrik!only

canglong
10-12-2004, 09:20 AM
Terence I used the term care denoting that you might in a trusting and mutually respective manner being willing to engage in meaningful dialogue not just waste my time with statements like
I guess you don't want to get "pinned down" by telling us what you meant! and since you didn't answer my question because a no meant I might answer with something to the effect of then stop wasting my time and a yes might expose your silly questions in the first place just let me answer you like this keep on wondering and stop wasting mine and others time with your foolishness you are beginning to sound like one of my kids.

Jim Roselando
10-12-2004, 09:24 AM
Hello,

You have already taken this nice thread into the toilet with rediculous comments like what you wrote below! Please avoid this thread!

You have no clue what you are talking about!

So you are only interested in meeting with people that share the same beliefs as yourself?

or should it be
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think anyone who has an open mind and is interested is the evolution of WC should get to know Hendrik!only

t_niehoff
10-12-2004, 09:26 AM
Hmmm . . . still no answer. I can't imagine why. ;)

Terence

Jim Roselando
10-12-2004, 09:26 AM
Terence/Tony!

Could you please take this to another thread or start one that will be for the topic you are debating!

I want to keep this clean!

Regards,

yellowpikachu
10-12-2004, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by yylee
pokemons (yellow ones) could be quite dangerous, watch out when they blow up on you! :D

YY,

I have just heard about it but dont know much.

Thus I have heard

That 4 points Pokemom collection Card
--- Shring, release, vibrate shock, swing recoil -- issue from the Red junk Opera old Pokemom Card Board might exist in this world.

but rarely seen.

Today is a nice day, lets sing and embrace all the great wonderfull things. We dont want to fill our mind with not cool stuffs in the morning, but make space for our mind so that we can experience more about new things and thier details and enjoy them, and store some happy thoughts for decoration.

Have a nice day! Pika Pika

----------------------------------------

Dont know much about history
Dont know much biology
Dont know much about science books
Dont know much about the french I took
But I do know that I love you
And I know that if you loved me too
What a wonderful world this would be

Dont know much about geography
Dont know much trigonometry
Dont know much about algebra
Dont know what a slide rule is for
But I know that one and one is two
And if this one could be with you
What a wonderful world this would be

Now I dont claim to be an A student
But Im tryin to be
Oh maybe by being an A student, baby
I can win your love for me

PaulH
10-12-2004, 07:27 PM
It's a wonderful thing to be able to express your gratitude to the giver. Last Sunday I attended a funeral service of a friend's mother. Honor was given to her from her children and grandchildren. As the casket was wheeled away, one of her grandchild reached out her hand to touch her dear Grandma's coffin for the last time. My thoughts turn to dear friends and family members. Sooner than I expect perhaps, I won't see them anymore. I hope that they know that I love and care for them should that fateful moment comes so unexpectedly.

They say death is a preparation for eternity. For me it is also the initiation to the unending silence. It seems thus a tragic waste and pointlessness to me to be disagreeable among friends and fellow life sojourners while we still breath and share this good earth. We should support and learn from one another instead. What are title, power, name, and honor in this brief life when you are facing eternity? Okay, enough said! You all know what I mean, right? =)

yellowpikachu
10-12-2004, 07:48 PM
When the holographic plate is gone.
what left is the laser beam source.

The hologram vanished.

yylee
10-12-2004, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by yellowpikachu
YY,

That 4 points Pokemom collection Card
--- Shring, release, vibrate shock, swing recoil -- issue from the Red junk Opera old Pokemom Card Board might exist in this world.

but rarely seen.

pokemon 4u :D

yylee
10-12-2004, 08:37 PM
pokemon 4u :D

Pikachu I cu :D

yellowpikachu
10-12-2004, 08:55 PM
Pikachu I cu :D

Snake body training with a ball!

kj
10-13-2004, 03:50 AM
Okay, enough said! You all know what I mean, right? =)

Yes. Thank you Paul.
- kj