PDA

View Full Version : 30+ and lagging behind the pack.

AndyM
10-12-2004, 02:56 PM
Just wondered who all was feeling the pace yet.

I turned 37 last month, and I feel like I should have been in that film 'Death Becomes Her' cos another bit seems to fall off every week.
Does this forum have the equivalent of a Park Bench us old folks can sit on to feed ducks, ogle lady pensioners, and discuss rhuematism and arthrittis remedies?

fa_jing
10-12-2004, 03:18 PM
I'm 30 and in the top shape of my life. Dealing with responsibilities is tough, though, as is getting enough sleep.

Quit whining. ;) Do a google on Steve Maxwell, 51 years old and in better shape than 99.9999% of all humans....

IronFist
10-12-2004, 04:58 PM
Dude the fact that you're here wanting to learn about exercise puts you ahead of most of the "pack."

Vash
10-12-2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by IronFist
Dude the fact that you're here wanting to learn about exercise puts you ahead of most of the "pack."

IronFist has taken the correct and chased it off his lawn.

AndyM
10-12-2004, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Vash
IronFist has taken the correct and chased it off his lawn.

Nonsense, it's all the bloody exercise and nonsense that has me aching with arthrittis and messed up stuff.

I was promised 'The Quickening' with a side order nubile of chicks dancing on my spine.

Where did I go wrong? :(

Serpent
10-12-2004, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by AndyM
Where did I go wrong? :(
Lau Gar! ;)

Seriously, dude - 37 ain't old. You're just entering the prime of your life. I would suggest some good QiGong to supplement your other training. The surest way to get old is to start thinking that you're old!

Vash
10-12-2004, 05:57 PM
Telling the nubile wimminz to dance on your spine as opposed to your . . . bone.

I dunno.

WinterPalm
10-12-2004, 06:18 PM
Watch the video marked Chui Chi Wai. This guy was 72 when he did these videos.

http://users.skynet.be/sb018200/default.htm

Toby
10-12-2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by fa_jing
I'm 30 and in the top shape of my life. Dealing with responsibilities is tough, though, as is getting enough sleep.This describes me perfectly. Except I'm almost 32 ;).

IronFist
10-12-2004, 10:31 PM
:: psst :: Powerlifters peak around their 30's or 40's (so I hear).

Oso
10-13-2004, 07:02 AM
I just turned 37 in august. I have a torn rotator cuff from a lei tai fight in march and don't have the money to get it fixed. I have a hip that is going to need replacing at some point.

you younger fellas just wait. there is a difference between 30/32 and 37

especially if you play hard.

yes, chi kung and good basic exercise is of great benefit but the simple fact is that anyone who trains to fight is going to get worn down over time.

and sure, those kung fu masters can surely do there thing well into thier 50's and 60's but at that point their bodies can do that stuff in their sleep...you probably won't see them hiking around steep hills or canyons or doing other strenuous stuff.

these old bodybuilders and fitness fanatics do ONLY that because they are able to make money being examples of what is possible.

I'm not saying give up when you're 37 or older or when you feel like crap, i'm certainly not, but you can't say there isn't a difference between someone in their late 20's or 30's and someone in their late 30's

/rant

MasterKiller
10-13-2004, 07:50 AM
I'll be 32 in December. I'm in better all-around shape now than I've ever been in (though not as strong); but I also don't workout/eat the same way I did at 25. I eat smarter, exercise smarter and more efficiently, and I REST more.

tug
10-13-2004, 11:46 AM
Not in great shape, but not anywhere near being overweight either.

Just take it easy, Qi gong, sleep, deal = how I made it thus far.

FngSaiYuk
10-13-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Oso
I have a torn rotator cuff from a lei tai fight in march and don't have the money to get it fixed.

Hey, so what are you doing to compensate for that and to get it to heal faster and/or most completely?

phoenix-eye
10-13-2004, 05:38 PM

"I'm 30+(insert no. here) and Oiiim in the best shape of moooouuyyyyy life....."

Bleh bleh bleh......you don't live in Scotland.

We have great pubs, great beer and fish suppers.....

Staying fit over here......now that's "good kung fu"

Andy - I hear ya mate.....

I'm 33 and have the tai chi belly --- and I don't do tai chi.

Paul

It's actually the "(Ta, Aye - shee's) another ane o thae beers" bellies....

fa_jing
10-13-2004, 06:22 PM
Well, at least those are good reasons to be fat! So what's the Scottish toast?

Oso
10-13-2004, 06:30 PM
Hey, so what are you doing to compensate for that and to get it to heal faster and/or most completely?

Not much. There are definitely things I can't do...throw a hook...lift any weight w/ an extended arm...but work and teaching are both hard to do w/o agravating.

I'm hoping to get an MRI in November and go from there.

oh, I go through a bunch of glucosamine...I do 30 day cycles and there is definitel an improvement by the end of the on cycle.

Toby
10-13-2004, 06:32 PM
I love the Scottish accent. It's gotta be my most favourite English language accent by far.

stubbs
10-14-2004, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by WinterPalm
Watch the video marked Chui Chi Wai. This guy was 72 when he did these videos.

http://users.skynet.be/sb018200/default.htm

that old guy's awesome!!!
________
Toyota celica gt-four specifications (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Toyota_Celica_GT-Four)

AndyM
10-14-2004, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Toby
I love the Scottish accent. It's gotta be my most favourite English language accent by far.

OK, that's fighting talk where I come from Tobby ya Jobby!

Toby
10-14-2004, 07:02 PM
That's why I said English language accent, not English accent ;). I meant native English speakers' accents as opposed to ESL people's accents.

Ego_Extrodinaire
10-22-2004, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by MasterKiller
I'll be 32 in December. I'm in better all-around shape now than I've ever been in (though not as strong); but I also don't workout/eat the same way I did at 25. I eat smarter, exercise smarter and more efficiently, and I REST more.

really good comment. My own body 's been through the mill itself in recent yrs and as we age I think quality rest and nourishment and even just a little exercise becomes more and more important.

Ps: when you're done with those back dancers , I'll take 2 thx ;)

In earnest though, spine health can play a big role in daily mobilty and comfort, grab an offspring or have some neices and nephews visit , flash some paper bills or a handful of coins for a walk or massage and they'll love to help you out. For the less family orientated, a few regular pushups, dips and stretches 'll get you there just as effectively.

cheers

red5angel
10-22-2004, 07:29 AM
I'm 30 and in the top shape of my life

Me too, just turned 31 this summer and I'm in the best shape of my life. I'm not sure what it is, I used to work out pretty heavily. My regimen has changed a lot, I do more body weight work for endurance and I do more cardio work as well, where as I used to just run some and lift alot of weights.

AndyM
10-31-2004, 07:59 PM
Just you wait you young whippersnappers, it'll all catch up to you one day.:D