PDA

View Full Version : Who Does High Intensity Training (H.I.T.)?

mickey
10-13-2004, 03:33 AM
Greetings,

I am looking for feedback on H.I.T. Have any of you had success or failures with it?

I thank you all in advance,

mickey

mickey
10-13-2004, 03:35 AM
I forgot this part,

Is there really an aerobic benefit from this method as many advocates say?

mickey

Oso
10-13-2004, 06:50 AM
I try. Fell of the wagon about this time last year and am trying to get back on.

I started with an Interval Buildup Running Program I found on some college football site. don't have the link now, I'll try and find it if you want. I use a stairclimber

started of like this

20 seconds work
30 seconds rest
30 seconds work
60 seconds rest
40 seconds work
90 seconds rest
...and so on adding 10 second to the work period and 30 seconds to the rest period at each step.

I did that for about 3 months. got good cardio but no weight loss.
I would do that program twice a week, every other day then rest my legs a day and do a timed 2 mile on the stairs. Over those 3 months I went from about a 17 minute 2 mile to a 13 minute 2 mile.

about that time I sparred w/ a boxer a couple of times. 5, 3 minute rounds. now, my stairclimber routine is simply 5 3 minute work periods as hard as I can with a 1 minute rest period at the lowest setting.

Right now I'm hitting 2 miles in about 18:30, not very fast but I'm 240 (and 37) and only about a month back into it.

Once a week in class we do a plyometric based interval workout but due to time constraints I keep it simple at 30 seconds of work and 30 seconds rest for 20 exercises.

so, I like H.I.I.T. a lot and feel it definitely has the cardio benefit but I don't feel like I saw any weight loss benefit from the supposed jump it is supposed to give to your metabolism buy my experience was far from scientific.

Toby
10-13-2004, 07:15 AM
I think he means something else Oso. A weights program that I have no experience with. But just in case, yeah, I do HIIT. For probably about 15mths now. First it was sprints, since May a rowing ergometer. It rocks.

Oso, a site with an IBUR program on it is Testosterone Mag - http://www.t-mag.com IIRC?. The article was called Running Man by Christian Thibaudeau.

MasterKiller
10-13-2004, 07:43 AM
I do HIIT rope skipping 2 or 3 times a week. I noticed the most improvement after about 3 weeks, but continue to see improvement in my stamina after about 4 months of a pretty regular and consistent routine. Doing it on top of the rest of my workout routine (some weights, but mostly kung fu and BW exercises) has been great. The best benefit is that my wind during sparring far exceeds my other classmates. They tire much more quickly than I do now, even though I'm 32 and most of my classmates are in their early to mid 20s.

Oso
10-13-2004, 08:16 AM
Toby, that's the chart I pulled for sure but it wasn't that site unless they had a makeover.

I did that chart for about a month, twice a week and didn't feel like I was doing enough and so I added two more intervals at 80 adn 90 seconds of work. The rest times seemed overly long.

A theory I have about training for competition is for your work periods to be as long as the rounds. That way you gain an intuitive knowledge about that duration. It may not be as scientifically as effective a method for interval training but I think it helps psychologically prepare someone for competition.

Most light to medium contact sparring is between 1 & 2 minute rounds with a minute rest between. So, I start my students off with the preliminary goal of being able to do 2, 3-round, 2 min per round fights back to back...so 6 2 minute work periods with one minute rests.

IronFist
10-13-2004, 10:48 AM
HIIT != HIT

I'm a bit confused. I used to think "HIT" was the superslow one set of one rep of 60 seconds bullsh.it. But now I'm under the impression that HIT is basically just measure time under tension as opposed to sets and reps. Is that right?

I was about to start a TUT thread, anyway. I'm curious.

Oso
10-13-2004, 11:00 AM
beats me

High
Intensity
Interval
Training

does seem to be different than

High
Intensity
Training

which one did you mean, mickey?

MasterKiller
10-13-2004, 11:08 AM
I assumed from this

Is there really an aerobic benefit from this method as many advocates say?that he meant HIIT.

abobo
10-13-2004, 11:19 AM
Remind me and I'll post some stuff I read the other day on TUT. No time to look for it now.

Oso
10-13-2004, 11:50 AM
I assumed from this

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is there really an aerobic benefit from this method as many advocates say?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

that he meant HIIT.

me too.

so, TUT is a new term...look forward to the links abobo

Meat Shake
10-13-2004, 02:12 PM
Takus interval training = hell.

http://trainforstrength.com/Endurance1.shtml

Thats what I was doing before I got sick, and Im about to get back into... Its hell. Thats the only way I can really describe it.

But it works fantastically.

mickey
10-13-2004, 02:41 PM
Greetings Gentlemen,

I was refering to the High Intensity Training method developed by Arthur Jones. Are there any practitioners of this method?

Good gosh! I go to work only to return and see another "I" added to H.I.T. :)

MICKEY

mickey
10-13-2004, 02:42 PM
Then again, it's better than an "S".

mickey

Vash
10-13-2004, 03:04 PM
Dr. Darden's H.I.T. (http://drdarden.com/index.do;jsessionid=C77E63FDB6EE73F6F08D27AA8666F9 14.ba02)

I've used Darden's method before, and found it worked nicely with the training methods I was using for karate technical work (which is almost entirely solo work since I so rarely have a partner).

Like MS said, Taku's stuff is what Satan does to evil people in hell.

abobo
10-13-2004, 06:02 PM
Ok, somewhat related stuff I saw on Supertraining:

http://www.sportsci.com/SPORTSCI/JANUARY/pp123.htm
http://www.dolfzine.com/page463.htm

fa_jing
10-13-2004, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by MasterKiller
They tire much more quickly than I do now, even though I'm 32 and most of my classmates are in their early to mid 20s.

Back when I trained with my sifu he had much better cardio than we did, especially for sparring, and he was 42 and we were 20 and 28 - ish. This was without real consistent training for several years for him. It is just that before that, he had a level of cardio that most of us only dream of, that of a full-contact fighter with experience.

mickey
10-14-2004, 02:44 PM
Thank you all again,

I visited the link to T-mag and I saw the interview with Dr. Ellington Darden. The person that he has demonstrating the postures in his new book gained 18 pounds of muscle in 2 weeks. What is so upsetting about that is that it was creatine aided. Darden states that the creatine probably contributed up to 30% of the subject's gain and it was all muscle!! How he went about quantifying and qualifying that boggles the mind.

Those that really know about creatine know that creatine allows for the cell to hold more water--cell voluminization. So the test results are not really valid.

mickey

Toby
10-14-2004, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by mickey
The person that he has demonstrating the postures in his new book gained 18 pounds of muscle in 2 weeks.Wow. I'd be pretty skeptical about that. There would have to be a super-specific set of circumstances for a person to be able to gain that much muscle in that time. I'm thinking a chronic endomorph who happened to be in a skinny phase who also happened to be totally untrained who then followed an intensive weights and no cardio program while eating a very specific diet.

IronFist
10-15-2004, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Toby
I'm thinking a chronic endomorph who happened to be in a skinny phase who also happened to be totally untrained who then followed an intensive weights and no cardio program while eating a very specific diet.

Also, eighteen pounds in 2 weeks is 4500 unused calories per day. I didn't say 4500 calories per day, I said 4500 unused (surplus) calories per day.

Geez that sounds like a Cell-Tech ad. Cuz we all know that Cell-Tech creatine is 83957394853.47293729458% more effective than regular creatine, and that Cell-Tech protein is 58382753.29849578348% more effective than regular protein.

Btw, wouldn't 18 pounds in 2 weeks cause some serious stretch marks?

mickey
10-15-2004, 03:51 PM
It should cause stretch marks and prime the body up for some serious internal maladies.

mickey

IronFist
10-16-2004, 08:45 AM
^ what maladies?

mickey
10-16-2004, 11:22 AM
Hi IronFist,

See: my prevoius cries about the dangers of creatine. It doesn't belong on the market.

mickey

Nick Forrer
10-18-2004, 01:08 PM
Hello

Ive used HIT (one set to failure per bodypart once per week) for about 9 years and had good results (i.e. significant gains in size and strength).

For the record I have never taken Steroids.

However, for the last couple of years I have more or less plateaued (although this is common after 5 or so years of consistent steroid free weight training I believe).

This works well for me as it is less time consuming and allows me to concentrate the rest of my training time on BJJ and Wing chun (which is currently running to 6/7 days per week)

mickey
10-18-2004, 02:37 PM
Nick Forrer,

Thank you for your post. You and Vash have provided me with the insights that I was looking for: the carry over into martial arts training.

Thank you again,

mickey

red5angel
10-21-2004, 03:07 PM
I've been working on a similar program to meatshakes Takus program recently. It varies slightly from the page he posted but it works awesome!