PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Mantids

rogue
10-13-2004, 04:20 PM
I've got a couple of manitds around my yard and I'm thinking of trying to breed a couple. Has anybody here ever had success breeding mantids?

Ming Yue
10-13-2004, 06:29 PM
They breed in summer. They're territorial and cannabilistic, so if you put them together any time other than mating season, one will be snacked on.

I bet you could google up some good info.

Oso
10-14-2004, 06:00 AM
you can buy the chrysalis (SP?) form garden specialty places.

but they are basically loners except for breeding time...

MasterKiller
10-14-2004, 08:50 AM
I found a Mantis in my rose bushes and brought it inside to kind of play with for a little while, but it disappeared. Funny thing is, I keep finding crickett carcasses all over the house. Are they that voracious?

Starchaser107
10-14-2004, 09:42 AM
yeah there's a few cute ones from Chan Pui's school I'd love to breed...

thoughts?

Shaolinlueb
10-14-2004, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Starchaser107
yeah there's a few cute ones from Chan Pui's school I'd love to breed...

thoughts?

wah lum has a lot of hot mantis's?
:o :o :o

Starchaser107
10-14-2004, 02:22 PM
yeah yo , for some reasn hot chicks dig mantis kung fu. why.

norther practitioner
10-14-2004, 03:57 PM
Werd..

When it is time to mate... wear a helmet though.. they like to take your head off when they're done with you :eek:

rogue
10-14-2004, 04:05 PM
Thanks guys, what I meant by breeding is letting them handle that. Oso, what do their chrysalis look like. How territorial are they? We had a really big one here, good insect control.

norther practitioner
10-14-2004, 04:25 PM
I can't find the pic. of a couple matis' doing it.. one of them has a helmet on...

It was a Boeri helmet ad from a few years ago..

I can find most of there other ad campain ones though.

Ming Yue
10-14-2004, 05:31 PM
I understand during the non mating season they'll defend an area of about an acre. big territory.

Oso
10-14-2004, 06:26 PM
yea, but female wah lum mantids won't fight...

MY, I need to see a bigger version of your avatar

Starchaser107
10-15-2004, 12:35 AM
originally posted by : Oso :

" but female wah lum mantids won't fight..."

'Tis a shame , I like the resistance,
a shame but not a deterrent...:p

yeah riiight ,
I'm harmless:D

Ming Yue
10-15-2004, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by Oso
MY, I need to see a bigger version of your avatar

here 'tis. Lime Helmet.
:D

Oso
10-15-2004, 06:12 AM
that's ****in hilarious...

Ming Yue
10-15-2004, 06:59 AM
yea, this one's even funnier. Samurai Pomegranate.

norther practitioner
10-15-2004, 02:24 PM
Good stuff MY,...

OSO, don't let me get into what I've heard about your school and what it's mantis ladies has been doing to pay for that new space.

:eek:

Oso
10-15-2004, 03:03 PM
NP, umm, you know...like, that...Ming Yue is one of my 'mantis ladies' don't you????

wushu chik
10-15-2004, 04:06 PM
Rogue-
I bought some a few years ago (the egg cases) and put them in a paper sack in a warm area of the house. I wound up with probably over 500 babies all over my house (as the cat saw the bag moving and knocked it over while we were gone). They're hard lil things to get out!

You can buy them at any specialty garden center, or you can get them from here (http://www.insectlore.com/xinsectucational_stuff/instructions/mantis_egg_case.html). They usually come with directions.

I would recommend if you're going to get the egg cases to put them in an aquarium with a mesh top. Because the paper sack idea was just BAD!!! Although, I didn't really see any bugs around or in my house for about a year!

As for breeding them?? I've never tried that, but I'm sure you could pull it off if you got them at the right time of year. It's too late now (although you can still hatch the lil guys if you get the case!)

Good luck, and hope this helps.

*edit* - If you want some help getting them, I can call the peeps I got them from and ask them to either ship you some, or see where they get them from so you can buy directly!

~Wen~

Ming Yue
10-15-2004, 08:08 PM
Yea, NP. you know that, right?

:p

Khun Kao Charuad
10-16-2004, 09:17 AM
I actually DID successfully breed mantids one year.... AND THE MALE LIVED!!!! The male mantid spent HOURS sneaking up on the female, getting closer, closer....

...then he LEAPT!

He got her back and got his hooks in. She reached around to try to grab his head and get a snack, but he slipped her grasp and she simply gave up and let him have his way with her.

However, you have to understand that quite often, the male mantid never even gets the chance. If he makes the wrong move and lets the female get the drop on him, she will get a meal, and he gets no nookie.