PDA

View Full Version : Do you mind if I...?

Mr Punch
10-13-2004, 11:37 PM
...slip into something a little more comfortable...?

Where does this quote come from??? Or the original version?

Every English-speaker in the world seems to know it... but it ain't on imdb... I'm thinking May West or someone, but could it be Philip Marlow or something???

tug
10-14-2004, 11:57 AM
I'm not exactly sure where that phrase originated, but I would tend to agree, it's gotta be Mae West or someone from that generation of movie-making.

Chang Style Novice
10-14-2004, 12:50 PM
According to google, it started with Jean Harlowe in the movie "Hell's Angel's" (http://shop.store.yahoo.com/thehollywoodcollection/hcr452.html)

David Jamieson
10-14-2004, 02:55 PM
yeah it was Jean.

But Mae west emulated Jean on a lot of levels and likely said it too in one of her films.

However, Mae was more famous for "why don't you come up and see me sometime" and "peel me a grape". Also classics that just won't get out of ones head. Like that deep purple song smoke on the water or the "it puts the lotion on it's skin" scene from silence of the lambs.

tug
10-15-2004, 11:05 AM
...puts the lotion on the skin...

Hilarious!!

Mr Punch
10-18-2004, 05:35 AM
Cheers!

MasterKiller
10-18-2004, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Kung Lek
However, Mae was more famous for "why don't you come up and see me sometime" and "peel me a grape". Also classics that just won't get out of Of course, that's not what she said, though. The real line was "Come up sometime, and see me... come on up, I'll tell your fortune!"

Judge Pen
10-18-2004, 12:19 PM
Just like no one ever said "Play it again Sam." in Casablanca.

KL, too funny with the lotion/skin quote.