PDA

View Full Version : att iron fist: classical music and death metal

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-14-2004, 01:42 PM
hey i was looking for some recommendations. i love high intensity classical like bethovens 9th, but other than him and a few other well knowns i really dont know what im looking for. i noticed you commented on a piece that was in a commercial or something in another thread and i meant to ask you about it but forgot. anything with a lot of tempo is good ... i can tollerate the likes of bach but thats not really what im looking for.

obviously im not trying to limit suggestions to just iron fist, but he's one of the few people i have met who are into both death metal and classical music. unless xebs likes the old school as well.

a guy i work with recommended this:

carl orff ... carmina burana
richard wagner .. ov to valchries
verdi ... diesireae from requiem
prokovief ... romeo julliet

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-14-2004, 01:53 PM
oh and i almost forgot:

http://www.crapville.com/videos/gaymetalguy.wmv (safe for work)

Chang Style Novice
10-14-2004, 02:00 PM
It's more modern, but Steve Reich's "Tehillim" is a killer.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000261K9/qid=1097787579/sr=8-6/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i6_xgl15/102-3231093-3024968?v=glance&s=classical&n=507846

FuXnDajenariht
10-14-2004, 02:05 PM
dude!

i love death metal....i know this was to Ironfist but u'd love old skool Black metal...ala Emperor

FuXnDajenariht
10-14-2004, 02:08 PM
oooh u didn't mean metal and classical slapped together did ya?

plain old classical? I like the Kronos quartet. Get the "Requiem for a Dream" soundtrack that they did with Clint Mantsell

FatherDog
10-14-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by FuXnDajenariht
oooh u didn't mean metal and classical slapped together did ya?

plain old classical? I like the Kronos quartet. Get the "Requiem for a Dream" soundtrack that they did with Clint Mantsell

The Kronos Quartet isn't classical; it's minimalist. There's a distinct difference.

FuXnDajenariht
10-14-2004, 03:02 PM
dude...its a string quartet...whatever....everyones a nitpicker...its good music.

try sum stuff from stravinsky...old skool badass composer

Nick Forrer
10-14-2004, 04:14 PM
Check out a guy called Ingwie Malmsteen

He's a shred (i.e. very fast (probably the fastest along with steve vai) guitar guy who likes to play classical pieces on rock guitar

Shaolinlueb
10-14-2004, 06:28 PM
death metal is nice but theres only so much cannibal corpse and napalm death i can take.

im more into the epic metal and black metal
bolt thrower, dimmu borgir, king diamon, rhapsody, old cradle of filth. etc.

fa_jing
10-14-2004, 06:52 PM
yeah, that Paganini Caprice thing on the electric guitar is bad ass. Was that Yngvey or Steve Vai?

You might want to check out some Shostakovich or Moussorgsky.
"Pictures at an exhibition" (on piano) or "Night on Bald Mountain"
maybe.

Chang Style Novice
10-14-2004, 07:29 PM
FD - prepare to get choked out!

Minimalism is a movement associated with composers, not performers. While it's true that Kronos has made a lot of hay out of their association with minimalist composers such as Philip Glass, Terry Riley, and the aforementioned Steve Reich, they've also covered large sections of repetoire that predate and postdate minimalism: to wit, their recordings of Bela Bartok (generally considered postclassical), Schoenberg (serialism), Bill Evans (modalism), Thelonious Monk (bebop), and Hendrix (psychedelic.)

Furthermore, the examples given by GDA in his initial post don't fall under the strictly 'Classical' designation as it is understood to include compositions more or less between 1750 and 1820 (preceded by Baroque and followed by Romanticism.) It's clear he was using the term in a more colloquial manner to describe the full range of western 'art' music, and fuxnwhatsisname was responding in kind. Prokofiev and Orff are both 20th Century composers, for example, and are usually typified as modern, whereas Wagner pretty much occupies a space of his own, and Verdi would be considered Romantic period Opera.

Ready to tap? I think it's fair to say that my 1337 nurdtard style has proven its effectiveness:D

CaptinPickAxe
10-14-2004, 07:37 PM
The Kronos Quartet isn't classical; it's minimalist. There's a distinct difference.

Very correct. The requiem for a dream soundtrack is anything but metal.

Chang Style Novice
10-14-2004, 07:42 PM
Very very INCORRECT. See my post above.

edit - the problem stems from

1 confusing the performer with the composer.

2 ambiguous language (esp. the word 'classical')

The requiem for a dream soundtrack was performed by the Kronos Quartet (who work in a wide variety of genres), but composed by Clint Mansell, a man who's background is actually in popular dance music. He was a founding member of Pop Will Eat Itself, a band probably best known in the U.S. for their cover of Prince's "Kiss."

FuXnDajenariht
10-14-2004, 08:50 PM
From what i understand minimalist is a style of classical.

[*speaks in bad kung fu dub]

Your nurdtard style....is superior Chang Style.....I bow. You....have.....good kung fu.......I must train :D

FuXnDajenariht
10-14-2004, 08:56 PM
[*Clenches fist and looks up to the sky]

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-14-2004, 09:24 PM
wow ... i didnt expect all this. awesome thread guys thanks.

i got lots of downloading to do tomorrow, but keep em coming by all means.

a little off topic i wonder if downloading classical music is illegal. i mean you're not going to have the ira knocking at your door over it either way, but i wonder.

Mr Punch
10-14-2004, 09:26 PM
I thoroughly agree with Carmina Burana. It rocks. And while you're at it buy the book of the poems and/or their translations... ****ing great! There's the song by the swan on the plate, about to get eaten, a wee number about deflowering virgins in a forest (only not so poetic as that!) and the epic O Fortuna which is about, well, fate and drinking a lot is worthy of Valhalla.

Personally, I would also go with the Verdi Requiem, but the whole thing, Faure's Requiem, and Mozart's Requiem is good too, though I usually find Mozart too twinkly.

I'm going to recommend Vaughn-Williams 'The Lark Ascending', but the soaring kind of stuff is a bit annoying for some.

Holst's 'Planet Suite', most notably and predictably 'Mars'.

For rock meets classical, try Einsturzende Neubaten playing Kurt Weill, and for some generally ****ed up semi-classical hardcore scatalogical visceral grunge, Diamonda Galas must rate a mention. can't be arsed with it myself, but might be up your alley.

Also a classical flavour, you should try Coil. Be careful, there are maybe three bands called Coil, but the good one did 'Horse Rotivator', 'Disco Hospital', and lots of other good stuff... bit odd but some of it is marvelous.

OH yeah, agre with f-j's rec Mousourgsy (sp?!) but I always thought it was 'A Night on Bear Mountain'. Maybe it was a bald bear.

FuXnDajenariht
10-14-2004, 10:30 PM
Download a song called "I am the black wizard" by emperor. its sick. tell me what you think about it...

FatherDog
10-14-2004, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Nick Forrer
Check out a guy called Ingwie Malmsteen

Yngwie Malmstein.

Originally posted by Shaolinlueb
death metal is nice but theres only so much cannibal corpse and napalm death i can take.

im more into the epic metal and black metal
bolt thrower, dimmu borgir, king diamon, rhapsody, old cradle of filth. etc.

Rhapsody is the best band in the history of the earth.

Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
FD - prepare to get choked out!

Minimalism is a movement associated with composers, not performers. While it's true that Kronos has made a lot of hay out of their association with minimalist composers such as Philip Glass, Terry Riley, and the aforementioned Steve Reich, they've also covered large sections of repetoire that predate and postdate minimalism: to wit, their recordings of Bela Bartok (generally considered postclassical), Schoenberg (serialism), Bill Evans (modalism), Thelonious Monk (bebop), and Hendrix (psychedelic.)

Furthermore, the examples given by GDA in his initial post don't fall under the strictly 'Classical' designation as it is understood to include compositions more or less between 1750 and 1820 (preceded by Baroque and followed by Romanticism.) It's clear he was using the term in a more colloquial manner to describe the full range of western 'art' music, and fuxnwhatsisname was responding in kind. Prokofiev and Orff are both 20th Century composers, for example, and are usually typified as modern, whereas Wagner pretty much occupies a space of his own, and Verdi would be considered Romantic period Opera.

Ready to tap? I think it's fair to say that my 1337 nurdtard style has proven its effectiveness:D

Me == pwned.

FuXnDajenariht
10-14-2004, 10:49 PM
Celtic Frost is well known for the classical and metal mixture....

I'd tell you to check out allmusic.com for some ideas but its a pain in the ass now. they have good stuff but u need dsl not to be there all night searching

scotty1
10-15-2004, 01:21 AM
Metal rules.

That is all I have to say.

FuXnDajenariht
10-15-2004, 01:34 AM
That it does my friends....that it does. :D

Tapani
10-15-2004, 03:42 AM
Hi!

You should definitely seek out some operas of Richard Wagner.

Tapani

Nick Forrer
10-15-2004, 04:27 AM
Originally posted by GunnedDownAtrocity
a little off topic i wonder if downloading classical music is illegal. i mean you're not going to have the ira knocking at your door over it either way, but i wonder.

I understand that 75 years after the death of an author the copyright lapses....but i could be wrong

Originally posted by Tapani
You should definitely seek out some operas of Richard Wagner.

Yes. Tristan und Isolde (Which contains *I think* Sigfried Idyll) and Parsifal....two amazing pieces particularly the latter

Tapani
10-15-2004, 04:47 AM
Hi!

Originally posted by Nick Forrer:
>I understand that 75 years after the death of an author the copyright >lapses....but i could be wrong

I think the problem would still be, that individual performers have the legal rights to that specific performance. The composition would be fair game, so anybody could record it. All it takes is the ability to play every instrument in an orchester and a recording studio ;)

Tapani

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-15-2004, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by FuXnDajenariht

I'd tell you to check out allmusic.com for some ideas but its a pain in the ass now. they have good stuff but u need dsl not to be there all night searching

i work for an isp dude so bandwidth is the least of my worries. does it cost anything though?

Chang Style Novice
10-15-2004, 08:58 AM
allmusic.com has a lot of good info, but their redesign does indeed suck a lotta ass. You also have to register to get access to all the content - at no cost, thankfully.

The problem with the redesign is that it requires a lot more clicking - they used to keep most of the data for a particular entry on a single page and now they've broken it up to artificially inflate the # of hits they get. Ironically, this means I use it a lot less than I used to, so they're getting fewer hits from me anyhoo. SUCKAS!

GDA - I shoulda thought of this earlier, but you will probably really dig Bartok's "Music for Strings Percussion and Celeste" as well as his "Concerto for Orchestra"

I also highly recommend Bach's Brandenburgh Concertos.

MasterKiller
10-15-2004, 09:13 AM
I rock out to Celestial Soda Pop, but I'm funny that way.

IronFist
10-15-2004, 10:45 AM
I don't like too much death metal per se. I'm more into black metal and progressive metal.

Cannibal Corpse - bad
Dimmu Borgir - good
Stratovarius - good

I'm at work and I haven't been on this forum in a few days so I totally missed this thread. I'll reply later. GDA, are you looking for stritcly classical pieces then?

The song by Dimmu Borgir called "Fear and Wonder" is performed entirely by an orchestra. The rest of the album is black metal, tho, altho some of it is orchestral as well. Check it out. I'll write more later.

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-15-2004, 02:16 PM
yeah strictly classical. not a big fan of the black metal.

i'm not a big fan of canable corpse mind you, but im all about the carcass/deicide/napalm/etc.

IronFist
10-16-2004, 08:42 AM
I'm still busy, dude, so I don't have time to write out a list for you. But definately check out the song "Fear and Wonder" by Dimmu Borgir. It's all classical with a dark, evil movie soundtrack type feel.

Are you still in the hospital? Do you have AIM? PM me.

sticky fingers
10-18-2004, 01:39 AM
GDA

Check out the soundtrack to the Conan movies by Basil Poleduris(?)

I love 'Battle of the Mounds'. awesome headbanging 'classical'

Also Prince Igor - Polovetsian Dances by Borodin

I used to like 'Carmina Burana - O Fortuna' until every second B grade horror movie decided to use it on their soundtrack. Flogged to death like Stairway to Heaven