19 - cross punch to the right
20 - parry forward with cat stance
21 - circle arms , downward block with sweeping punch and sound " sit "
22 - cross punch forward
23 - parry with cat stance
24 - twist panther fist and sound " sit "
25 - front block with tip toe kick and sound " dik "
26 - hammer strike

this time i'll going to let make the introduction to names and applications to others lkh guys . please feel free of participŕte . We’re all richer for having looked at the information in a different perspective.

Eddie
10-15-2004, 04:22 AM
Originally posted by GARRA DE TIGRE
siu muy fah kuen mov 17 to 26

17 - advance with hook stance , hanging punch
18 - turn , whipping fist
19 - cross punch to the right
22 - cross punch forward
26 - hammer strike

Those are a few different applications in one. Most of them pretty good for san shou, just as they are.

17 - advance with hook stance , hanging punch
18 - turn , whipping fist

Key here is the foot work. Step forward block with back fist (or attack, depend on the situation), turn around been choy. Simple and very effective

This is Chin, Poon, Sao. Block with left, parry or block with poon cue, and then finish of with sweeping punch. Also a very basic routine. There are more to it, but kung fu is more often about basics.

22 - cross punch forward
26 - hammer strike

Funny enough, we have been doing this application in our san shou classes for the last week. Very nice routine, and you can train speed and focus with the kicking shields.

Block with left, round hook punch to face with right, push kick or toe kick (whatever you prefer), use right hand to open up your target (push him off balance) and follow up with a hammer fist (for tournament san shou just use a hook or even a jab).

There is probably still much more to it, but when it comes to fighting, basics are what counts. These routines are simple, effective and basic, and can be altered to suit your situation.

That’s just me, what does the seniors have to say? CLFNole, Sow Choy?

Eddie

Sow Choy
10-15-2004, 07:57 AM
Eddie,

Good explanations of the basic apps...

The advance with hook stance in the form helps develop a habit of the rear foot (which is on the ball of foot) aiming at the target with the hanging punch direcly over it, so that when you turn, you will turn directly into your target. Also rising for the turn and sinking for the chain punch (horizontal backfist)

That is a good habit to build up so if you are caught in a jam you know how step and line up properly ex: after opponent blocks your side kick, you will automatically find the right footing in order to spin...

Chin, serng poon, sow choy... The hands teach to stay on top of the opponents arm, overpowering them and setting them up for the side step, which is why this sow choy is important, it teaches to slip out and around...

biu jong, dew ma chin, yum chop, tek gurk, paw choy...

many apps... but one thing to pay attention to is the panther fist... a hidden technique to me would possibly be 2 things... 1. the way the right arm can travel while the left does chin... 2. notice the elbow of the right arm is pointing arm outward to deflect the opponents arm away from you... the left could become an outside slap block (pak sao)...

This to me seems like a pre-cursor to the the technique in 5 animal where you do: gwa-cum tek gurk, paw choy...

that technique hits 2 different angles at the same time and works as an attack or counter...

:)

Joe

Ai Lek Ou Seun
10-15-2004, 11:21 AM
Chin=Chyun?

Chyun as in Chyun Kiuh means "to penetrate."

My comment on this section is that when you Chyun left you block the opponents right hand attack then you Puhn Kiuh to your right side and block the opponents left hand attack. Its a very quick combination block and then you Sao Chui.

I have a couple of general questions for you guys.

Have you ever successfully used Biu Jong in a fighting/sparring situation? I really fail to see its utility and I commonly f up my shoulder when I do this move with full power. I haven't seen my Sifu show us too many applications with it either. It is really prevalent in the forms but I rarely see it used. Any thoughts on that.?

Also, this question is directed mainly at Joe. When you guys to the kick in this section what do you do with the hands as they come back? I watched your Fut Jeung video and I noticed it looks almost as if you are pulling down and back with a "claw."

My Sifu tends to use the hands in more of a Pai Sau type motion (as in Kuk Saat Pai Sau at beginning of Saap Ji) and not as a double grab. Then again that could be my own misinterpretation.

Any thoughts on that?

Peace.

;)

Ai Lek Ou Seun
10-15-2004, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Sow Choy

many apps... but one thing to pay attention to is the panther fist... a hidden technique to me would possibly be 2 things... 1. the way the right arm can travel while the left does chin... 2. notice the elbow of the right arm is pointing arm outward to deflect the opponents arm away from you... the left could become an outside slap block (pak sao)...

Joe

Also could be an arm break. Where you defelct and grab the opponents inner forearm with the right hand pulling it in and back (like when you set up to do the chaap chui).....and then break at the elbow with the Chyun simultaneously. Hope that makes sense.

yutyeesam
10-15-2004, 11:32 AM
Joe/CLFNole,
Quick question--

It's regarding the sequence mentioned above:
Biu Jong-Chuin-Lah-Yum Tsop-Dang Toi-Pek

When you do the Chuin Lah in this sequence in the Fut Jeurng form, I notice the Chuin starts from the chest area.

What I was taught was:
The Chuin starts from outside of the right forearm (Biu Jong), as a means to clear/disengage a wrist grab.

So my question is, how do you guys do it in Sil Mui Fah? Does the Chuin Lah start from inside of the right forearm or outside?

Like I said, we start from the outside of the right forearm, for this particular sequence. BUT, for the gwa-kam-chinji-biu-chuin-poon-kum-yumtsop sequence, we begin the Chuin Lah from inside the right forearm.

Thanks guys.

CLFNole
10-15-2004, 12:10 PM
123:

I come from the right side of the arm and then shoot out. The chin lah techniques should kind of curve outward similar to a snakes tongue.

Ai Lek Ou Seun:

The hands are kind of flat and pull back. Like you said Pi Sow not a claw like grab.

Peace.

Sow Choy
10-15-2004, 12:20 PM
The Kick,

The hands block down and then circle up and over the shoulder, then hit when the stance sinks...

Biu Jong,

I have used it alot in drills and sparring a bit. I use it as a block mainly... a block to someones punch hitting the outside of the elbow causing alot of pain for the opponent...

I have heard of older masters breaking peoples arms usin it. in this sucession in Plum Flower I interpret it as your sow choy misses... and you block the opponents punch when he counters.

Biu Jong can also hit under the shoulder dislodging the joint either by itself or while holding the opponents arm. If as a hit I would prefer Been Choy, Just like our forms have a lot of Chin Si Choy or Pek Choy, where as I prefer Sow Choy... So to each his own...

Also the poon cues can be attacks to... not just a block... Let the complete surface of the front and back of your hand hit the target giving a nice sting or welt to the opponent, the use the final ppon cue to clear the way for sow choy, or use the final poon cue as a chop to the neck...

As you know these terms in chinese do not refer to a specific technique but more of an action... Leaving clues for us to continuosly study and find...

Thats the fun part
:)
Joe

Ai Lek Ou Seun
10-15-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Sow Choy
The Kick,

Biu Jong,

I have used it alot in drills and sparring a bit. I use it as a block mainly... a block to someones punch hitting the outside of the elbow causing alot of pain for the opponent...

I have heard of older masters breaking peoples arms usin it. in this sucession in Plum Flower I interpret it as your sow choy misses... and you block the opponents punch when he counters.

Biu Jong can also hit under the shoulder dislodging the joint either by itself or while holding the opponents arm. If as a hit I would prefer Been Choy, Just like our forms have a lot of Chin Si Choy or Pek Choy, where as I prefer Sow Choy... So to each his own...

Joe

Ok...interesting. I can see that application. I've also thought of using it for a take down over the leg but I never have been able to apply it very well.

Thanks.

yutyeesam
10-15-2004, 01:32 PM
Was it you who wrote the CLF vs. Multiple Attackers article in the Sept/Oct 2004 issue of Kung-Fu Magazine?

yutyeesam
10-15-2004, 04:53 PM
I didn't actually get to read the article, and now the new issue is out. Shoot. I imagine it's not online anywhere, is it?

Eddie
10-16-2004, 04:12 AM
Bui jong is great to deflect or block a kick, and very possible to use it as an attack.

Sow Choy,
“2. notice the elbow of the right arm is pointing arm outward to deflect the opponents arm away from you...”

Yes this I have noticed and this is a very cool application. Have you ever felt what its like to kick someone and get your shin caught onto his elbow? Ouch.

“I have heard of older masters breaking peoples arms usin it.”
I broke my arm with a sow choy once. Pretty stupid of me, but now it’s a cool laughing matter. :)

Miss chatting to you, we haven’t spoken in a long while. E-mail me your schedule when you not too busy, been meaning to call you for a while, but don’t want to catch you while you are giving class.
Eddie

Ai Lek Ou Seun
10-16-2004, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by yutyeesam
Was it you who wrote the CLF vs. Multiple Attackers article in the Sept/Oct 2004 issue of Kung-Fu Magazine?

Yes, it was me ;) . Hope you enjoyed it. It was neat that they juxtaposed the articles by myself and by my Sisuk Joe.

The articles were kind of different but fit together really nicely.

I noticed that someone wrote a letter into the magazine that got published in the latest issue saying how they liked the articles and how glad they were to see two CLF articles.

That was way cool. Thanks to whoever that was.

Peace. :D ;) :cool: