PDA

View Full Version : Training Update

Merryprankster
10-14-2004, 09:06 PM
Hello to a good chunk of the forum.

Haven't posted anything substantive in a long while - since August I think - except for a couple of political threads, because it's that time of year and I can't help myself on that stuff, but anyhoo....

My shoulder is almost back to completely normal - the things we can do with surgery these days is truly incredible. People who warn you off surgery are full of it. Just find somebody good who clearly knows what they are doing, and if you need it, get it. I jumped at the chance to get cut - it was the difference between getting to do what I wanted and not getting to to what I wanted.

I'm not sure when I'll make my post surgery competition debut. I'm still focused on getting back in shape right now and refining some of the timing I've lost. It was a bummer not going to NAGA Nationals this year - I had to give up my 4-year winning streak, but thems the breaks.

You know, it's funny. I was thinking the other day about competing and what it means and I remember being on here and arguing about just what competition MEANS - what the driving forces are, etc. I used to get fairly annoyed about the garbage that was posted about how it's all just a big ego trip, etc. You can present reasoned arguments about how it isn't, but people still get their panties in a wad over it. Because even if you don't see much value in competition (and that's a legitimate stance), it is clearly not legitimate to phrase it in terms of "people just like to win medals etc," for the most part. Of course, you get isolated bullies, but they always make sure to sandbag and find lousy competition so they can feel good about themselves. These are the same jerks that find the new guy in class and go beat on him, while assiduously avoiding anybody that might beat them. They exist no matter where you go and don't need a competition to get their kicks.

THAT's ego, without a doubt, but most competitors are genuinely not like that, because after you get your ass handed to you enough, that tends to reduce your enthusiasm if it's just based on ego building.

So I thought about it a little, and then I realized that being a competitor is like being a writer. There are lots of people that can write out there, but there are very few writers by comparison. What I mean by that is that writers are almost compelled to put their pen to paper and create. Authors write way past their prime, even when they have nothing to say, because it's just who they are. Hell, they may not even be very good - I had an ex-girlfriend that couldn't write poetry for ****, but she kept doing it anyway. Filled up books of the stuff and made me listen. Ugh.

Painters paint, dancers dance, singers sing, etc. They may not have a statement to make or even a goal in mind, or even talent, it's just what they do.

So it is with competition. Competitors just compete. It's part of their make-up. It's not about ego trips or beating somebody or a shiny new medal. It's just something about competing that they like. Lots of people compete, but some people are competitors. I know I am. The idea of retiring from competition after my injury seemed pretty common sense to a lot of people I talked to, but it only ever crossed my mind for a moment, and then only in the form of "well, if I can't physically do this, then..." It's like an itch. Sometimes the urge goes away for awhile, but it always comes back. I suspect I'll be 60 and dragging my slow, crippled ass to the mat for one more go-round in the old geezer division.

Cheers all. Good luck.

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-14-2004, 09:32 PM
good to hear from you man.

oh **** ... my bad. i didn't realize you were still goin. :)

FatherDog
10-14-2004, 10:39 PM
Terrific post, MP.

Obviously not as bad as your injury, but when I broke my foot, my friends and family tried to tell me it was a good time to stop doing dangerous stuff...

I was back on the mat as soon as I could drive again, wearing one wrestling shoe because my foot was still too swollen for the other one to fit.

I don't hate to lose, but I love to win - and more than anything else, I want to try. To go as hard as I can against the best I can find and know where I stand.

Good luck with your training, and I hope you're back on the mat as soon as you can be. Ganbatte!

Mr Punch
10-14-2004, 11:23 PM
Nice one MP, good to hear you're getting back in it.

Glad you qualified that you need to find a good surgeon... if ever I needed one over here I'd be straight back on the plane to the UK. You wouldn't realize Japan qualifies as a Third World country in terms of the ****ed ignorance of its quacks. Fine if you have a lot of money.

Your exgf's poetry sounds like my shooto, only probably more martially effective... :rolleyes: :(

SevenStar
10-15-2004, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by FatherDog
Terrific post, MP.

Obviously not as bad as your injury, but when I broke my foot, my friends and family tried to tell me it was a good time to stop doing dangerous stuff...

I was back on the mat as soon as I could drive again, wearing one wrestling shoe because my foot was still too swollen for the other one to fit.

I don't hate to lose, but I love to win - and more than anything else, I want to try. To go as hard as I can against the best I can find and know where I stand.

Good luck with your training, and I hope you're back on the mat as soon as you can be. Ganbatte!

dayum, we're all on the list. I have a tibial fracture. I'm in a boot and haven't stopped training since I've been in it. I couldn't kick, but was still working hands - bagwork, padwork, only using hand while sparring, however they could kick at me. I'm kicking with my other leg now, and I go to the doc next week to see if this boot is ready to come off. If it is, I may fight again in dec/jan.

Merryprankster
10-15-2004, 05:08 AM
Thanks all.

LOL at poetry being more martially effective. The Pen is truly mightier than the sword.

Gahk!

Yeah, the competitor thing. I finally realized that you just can't explain it to somebody who doesn't have that mindset. It's like trying to explain blue to a blind man. It's not that there is anything wrong with NOT being a competitor at heart, it's just that trying to tell somebody what it's like is really hard, and may not make sense.

So they'll never get it. The best you'll get is "Ok, well, I don't really understand, but if that's what you want to do...."

And that's alright. Nothing wrong with that. A now terrible author can't explain why they keep writing, etc.

Good luck with the injuries fellas, and GDA, you get well. There's beer somewhere missing your company.

FngSaiYuk
10-15-2004, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by SevenStar
dayum, we're all on the list. I have a tibial fracture. I'm in a boot and haven't stopped training since I've been in it. I couldn't kick, but was still working hands - bagwork, padwork, only using hand while sparring, however they could kick at me. I'm kicking with my other leg now, and I go to the doc next week to see if this boot is ready to come off. If it is, I may fight again in dec/jan.

Speaking of injuries, are there any good sources which can explain whether or not it's ok to continue training despite an injury and the effects on the rate of healing and the completeness of healing?

Also, on competition, very well put. It's just in some peoples nature to push their abilities.

Merryprankster
10-15-2004, 05:55 AM
"Speaking of injuries, are there any good sources which can explain whether or not it's ok to continue training despite an injury and the effects on the rate of healing and the completeness of healing?"

You know, this just depends on the injury and what you do. I had a glenoidal labrum tear, and no amount of anything was going to fix that, because it's actually a detachment of connective tissue from the bone.

My advice is to do a little research on what your injury might be and then work from there. Almost all injuries will heal more or less completely in time, unless it's major. The body is an amazing machine!

Oso
10-15-2004, 06:20 AM
MP, that was a shoulder injury, right?

I've been unnofficially diagnosed by two doctor's I know as probably having a rotator cuff tear.

going to try and get to a doctor in November and go from there.

My question is: what was the official post surgery rehab time for you? Did you rehab faster than expected?

thanks

glad to see you back.

Suntzu
10-15-2004, 06:27 AM
MP you are a machine....... tell Jeff an' 'em i said wassup....

Merryprankster
10-15-2004, 07:18 AM
My question is: what was the official post surgery rehab time for you? Did you rehab faster than expected?

I had a glenoidal labrum tear. A rotator cuff injury takes a lot less time to heal and rehab.

I was right on schedule, BUT, I literally beat the hell out of myself on this one. My injury was quite severe and required some major reconstruction. I have always been a fast healer, so I suspect that if I had a more normal injury I would have been ahead of the curve.

SunTzu, I'll pass it along!

ShaolinTiger00
10-15-2004, 07:36 AM
But the question is..

Are you going to be at practice tonight *****?

:cool:

Merryprankster
10-15-2004, 07:42 AM
"Are you going to be at practice tonight *****?"

I'm going to lloyds.

Mr Punch
10-15-2004, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Merryprankster
Thanks all.

LOL at poetry being more martially effective. The Pen is truly mightier than the sword. According to Musashi it is bunbu it-chi - 'Pen and sword together'... one day I'll get you all, tie you up in knots, and just before the final neck crank, just when you can't escape, I'll hit you with my answer to William McGonagall's answer to haiku!

I just gotta work on my submissions...

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-15-2004, 11:43 AM
see now i feel like a **** for pokin fun at your initial post.

i didnt realize your injury was all that bad .... you're the man mp.

norther practitioner
10-15-2004, 01:10 PM
MP, good to see you around bud...

Hope all goes well.

Khun Kao Charuad
10-16-2004, 09:37 AM
You know what? I've been in the same boat this year as well. Lots of people wonder why I've started competing again after 10 years off. Even more so because my W-L record has been, uh, spotty. (2-2-1 & 1 KO).

Sure, I've won two titles this year, and even though I freely admit that title fights are a factor in my drive to compete, that is not the PRIMARY reason.

Simply, I LOVE FIGHTING!

I'll tell you what, I was sparring at Jeff Ruth's school in Arlington 2 weeks ago. I got my @$$ beaten BADLY! I am STILL banged up and unable to work out properly. But ya know, I probably had more fun getting my butt handed to me that evening than practically anything else I've done in the last month.

NOTABLE EXCEPTION: Ok, getting my butt whipped comes in 2nd to the demonstrations our team has performed recently for a few Thai Embassy-organized cultural events....

I don't know if there is any better way to phrase it. Competing and fighting is just something we DO! Its like the age old question of asking a mountain climber why he climbs. "Because its there!".

We fight because its what we do.....

Suntzu
10-18-2004, 06:35 AM
I'll tell you what, I was sparring at Jeff Ruth's school in Arlington 2 weeks ago. I got my @$$ beaten BADLY! sounds familiar :( :D

ShaolinTiger00
10-18-2004, 07:25 AM
what are you guys taking about?

*hold ice pak to face*

:D

Ego_Extrodinaire
10-18-2004, 09:09 AM
MP : you're ALL crazy and I understand completely!

what are you doing for your "comeback "regime anyway??