PDA

View Full Version : Francis Fong lineage? (in San Antonio?!) Can anyone tell me more about that lineage?

Vankuen
08-16-2001, 05:02 PM
It has recently come to my attention that there is a person in San Antonio texas that teaches francis fong wing chun. The only option that I would have there is to study leung ting under william parker...and I dont think Im going to go that route.

But then Simple angles told me of a guy there that taught under francis fong. So my question is two fold:

Can anyone give me more information regarding the ideas and concepts/techniques of francis fong lineage?

and can anyone tell me more about the gentlemen in SA that teaches there?

Thanks so much. Im looking to find another sifu there in SA so that I can progress in my wing chun.

"loi lau hoi sung lut sau jik chung"

"From one thing know ten thousand" - Miyomato Musashi, Book of five rings

EmptyCup
08-16-2001, 07:27 PM
i heard francis mixes his Wing Chun teaching with other stuff...sorta like JKD stuff. His training is good though...he makes his students get into a ring and spar. More realistic than most Wing Chun teachers... ;) teaches grappling and lock applications

There were one or two articles about him in Inside Kung Fu as well...I'll see if I can find them but i'm sure the net has info on him

aelward
08-18-2001, 02:27 AM
Francis Fong is a student of Jiu Wan, who learned Wing Chun in Foshan before moving to Hong Kong to continue study with Yip Man.

From my understanding, Sifu Fong's style mixes bits of Muay Thai (some kicks and kick shield blocks), JKD, joint locking and Kali into the Wing Chun, but his basics are still Wing Chun.

A Francis Fong lineage instructor was one of my training partners, and I would say she had some of the best hands that I have rolled with in the United States.

I also met Sifu Fong himself, and he is a true gentleman!

JK-
"Sex on TV doesn't hurt unless you fall off."

Vankuen
08-19-2001, 02:05 AM
Comparing it to other lineages of wing chun, say leung tings schools, how would it fare? and how much wing chun would I actually be learning? As my goal was to finish out the system, and not simply know parts of it.

aelward
08-19-2001, 03:15 AM
Hello,

Whether or not you learn the whole system depends on the teacher, and how much he has learned. My friend who studied with Sifu Fong for 5 years had finished SNT, CK, and the dummy. Of course, things may be different from teacher to teacher.

Then again, I have heard from an ex-WT guy that to finish the WT system in Germany would take 20 years and $80,000 (I don't know how accurate that is).

In any case, you do not need to know the entire system in order to get Wing Chun to work for you; in my opinion, one shouldn't be thinking about "completing" the system, especially at the beginning.

I suggest you go to both classes and see what you think about the training environment, the instructors, etc, and see which one suits your own needs and interests.

JK-
"Sex on TV doesn't hurt unless you fall off."

rogue
08-19-2001, 05:25 AM
I went to a school that traced it's lineage to Fong. While the school that I went to did keep the WC, MT and FMA pretty seperate there was overlap. I dropped the WC and stuck with the MT & FMA, then I fell into a bad crowd and took up JKD for the nth time ;) .

Rogue, you're an @ss!! Watchman

Adventure is just a romantic name for trouble. It sounds swell when you write about it, but it's hell when you meet it face to face in a dark and lonely place.
Louis L'Amour

BTW, did I mention that Rogue was an @ss? Watchman

Vankuen
08-19-2001, 04:23 PM
I already have some years of wing chun under my brother, and so far it has worked for me better then anything else that I have learned...however I do not believe this equates to being a true student of wing chun, as without a constant learning, from a sifu that knows the system in its entirety, you most likely will never fully understand the system either. Its like learning to drive from someone who only learned to shift and not to steer. My goal, is to be the best I can be, in any system, but I also wish to continue learning wing chun, and won't be able to do so with someone who doesnt know the system completely. That is my concern.