PDA

View Full Version : My new routine: Critique, please

_William_
10-17-2004, 12:59 PM
Currently, the bulk of my routine consists of power cleans - because I enjoy doing them so much. However, I think I need to add a pushing motion and a pulling motion, so here is my new routine.

My goals are to make the school rugby team, and to hit harder in kung fu, and it would be nice to gain a little weight along the way.

Proposed routine:

Power cleans - pyramided 1x5, 1x4, 1x3, 1x2, and 5x1.
Bent over rows - 3 x 4
Side press - 3 x 3 per side
"Core work"(Weighted situps, hyperextensions) - 3 x 8

I do this 2-3 times a week (Monday Wednesday Friday, then Tuesday Thursday the following week) in my school biomechanics class, and I do interval runs on my non-lifting days during the week.

Ok so here are some questions:
1) Would it be better to bench than to side press?
2) Would it be overtraining the leg muscles to squat also?
3) What do you think about alternating power cleans and deadlifts?
4) What do you think of this routine... what changes would you make if you were me?

Thanks in advance. I realize I have a lot of questions LOL.

fa_jing
10-17-2004, 06:50 PM
1) Would it be better to bench than to side press?

If you plan on keeping the row and the power clean, than I think bench press (or incline bench press) would be better. Side press hits the lats but the row does that already.

2) Would it be overtraining the leg muscles to squat also?

No. Power clean works the leg muscles, but does not have the same mass building effect that a grind through a long range of motion does like in the squat. Also, you can handle more weight with the back squat than the PC. However, you will have to manage the volume carefully with your interval runs.

3) What do you think about alternating power cleans and deadlifts?

Well that is something like what I do. The only thing is, they have slightly different grooves and positioning required, so the form you work on with one tends to pollute the form you work on with the other. Just keep in mind the differences between the two.

4) What do you think of this routine... what changes would you make if you were me?

Side press is a good exercise, but tough to master. I think you would spin your wheels for a while, unless you are already good at it. I recommend that you follow that power clean with a jerk (not every rep), or do some clean and press at a lower weight. Overhead work is important in my book. A nice progression I have been working on is power clean, hang clean, jerk for 1 rep, then do one rep of the complex on the minute every minute for 10 minutes. One college coach has all of his athletes do that with bodyweight. I've only been able to get 5 such reps so far myself.

It sounds like you are keeping the reps and overall volume low, which is good since you are doing the running. However, your upper body will need a bit more volume. If you drop the side press, then try 5 x 5 bench once a week, and a bit less volume the other day(s). The thing with 5 x 5 is you don't have to do the same weight for 5 sets, you might do 175 x 5, 185 x 5, 195 x 5 x 2, 175 x5 or something like that. You adjust according to feel.

Samurai Jack
10-18-2004, 11:57 AM
If you follow Fa_jing's suggestions, you might want to squat with overhead-squats. They aren't all that popular with most lifters, but are suppossed to help with clean and jerk, which might be good for you if you want to train O-lifts. Otherwise, forget it.

If this were my routine, I'd alternate powercleans with deadlifts and substitute military press for side press or bench.

I like deadlifts since you can load up alot more weight than you can clean, which means bigger strength gains. Some say deadlifts build strength and mass in a manner that is superior to squats.

In my experience military press is way more applicable to American football and martial arts/wrestling than bench press. Rugby bio-mechanics should be similar.

_William_
10-18-2004, 04:19 PM
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the input.