PDA

View Full Version : Crap, I hurt my back again

IronFist
10-17-2004, 04:39 PM
Wtf? Ok so today I noticed my gym (soon to be my ex-gym, as I just cancelled my membership because I found a cheaper gym and only have until the end of the month) got a new kettlebell today; at 24kg one. So I'm like "cool, I'm gonna try some snatches with it." Now, previously the heaviest kb they had was a 16kg one, which I could do at least 10 snatches on each side with no problem. I could probably do more, I just never bothered to try.

So my workout went like this:

Warming up for squats
See 24kg KB
Go do 3 snatches on each arm with with 16kg KB (warmup)
Do 2 sets of 10 on squat
Do 2 sets of 10 on bench

So at this point I'm pretty warmed up and all I had left was biceps curls and french presses and then I was going to go home. It had been a week since my last workout so I backed off on the weights a bit, even. They were still heavy tho, because my body gets p.issed at me if I take more than a few days off ever, but that's another story. I went back over to the 24kg KB to play with it. I get it out and warm up with some swings (from in between the legs up to about waist height; a gentle warmup for snatches) and on like the third one my back goes "haha, b.itch, take that! Now you can't move without feeling pain." Then I go "wtf?" I put down the kb and tried to find a position to sit/stand it where I wouldn't be in pain. I hobbled my way over to a swiss ball and layed across it on my back (think like a wrestlers bridge position) and layed there for like 3 or 4 minutes until the pain kind of went away. Then when I sat back up it hurt like a mofo again. I go "fvck, I better not work out any more today" and went home.

Ok but here's the thing. I always hear about people hurting their lower backs when they get weight lifting injuries. This is most definately not my lower back. It's the middle of my back, around the height of the bottom of my pecs and down a few inches. Strangely enough, this same exact thing happened to me a few months ago when I was warming up to squat, and I made a thread (http://martial.best.vwh.net/forum/showthread.php?threadid=30891&) about it. This pain is in exactly the same place as the injury in that thread.

I haven't deadlifted in a while. Maybe that has something to do with it. Except if it was a lower back injury I then I could understand that, but it's not. It's the muscles right along my spine on both sides in the middle of my back.

I think when I was doing the swing, I underestimated the weight and maybe it pulled me off balance and then my back tried to compensate by pulling back or something?

I'm just p.issed cuz I never got to snatch the 24kg kb.

Any suggestions on what happened?

PS. Iburprofin is my friend.

mickey
10-17-2004, 04:59 PM
Hi Ironfist,

You need to have that checked out. Could be a fracture or a herniated disc.

I remember your earlier post. I simply thought the erector muscles in your back were not strong enough. That you have reinjured the area suggests that the injury may have occured way before the first time that you experienced the pain when squatting. Try to remember: did you land in a strange way after being thrown any time before the first injury?

Again, check it out. Toughing it out only to reinjure it later is not a good thing. I am still dealing with my lower back injury. It is no joke.

Get better soon,

mickey

IronFist
10-17-2004, 05:17 PM
It's muscles, not spine pain. I know because I can push on the muscles and intensify the pain. It hurts more when I touch my chin to my chest which elongates those muscles.

I'd be so surprised if it was caused by some kind of muscular imbalance in my back. My back, like my shoulders, is so freakishly big and strong compared to the rest of my body.

Try to remember: did you land in a strange way after being thrown any time before the first injury?

Nope, I've never had back pain ever before in my life.

mickey
10-17-2004, 06:03 PM
Ironfist,

To be sure, have it checked out anyway. Find out exactly what it is.

mickey

fa_jing
10-17-2004, 06:33 PM
Disclaimer: I am not a doctor. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night (Joke for USA readers)

I doubt he would have a fracture, since he was fairly pain free for a while. A bulging disc might be the case, even still there are a variety of approaches towards treating such a thing. It may be a misalignment of the spine. I think a chiropractor would be a good place to start. Also, try some Yoga twisting stretches, could help you.

It's obvious that you had a pre-existing injury but even still, I will remind you that swings and snatches require you to squeeze your abs hard at the bottom and for the swing, at the top too. The tension never completely leaves your abs which makes proper abdominal breathing a bit tricky. Also, a jumping motion with your legs moves the weight, not extension with your back. There are a few different ways to do it but I recommend staying with the back pretty vertical at first. I didn't realize that I was curving my back on swings until someone else pointed it out.

For rehab, some 20 lb dumbell swings might be a good idea after a few days.

I was able to do a set of 5 with the 24 kg kettlebell the first time I picked one up, and was not very strong at the time, so I can safely say it is not a strength/weight issue. The issue is your injury/weakness and/or form.

BTW, there is an interesting book by Dr. Sarno basically saying that all back pain is in your head. This is based on the fact that lots of people have bulging discs, etc. yet feel no pain. Some people have gotten good results by following his advice. I haven't read the book but I did something along those lines recently - I was tweaking my lower back, so, I stopped using a weightlifting belt, which is a crutch in these terms. I have had less problems since. good luck

Serpent
10-17-2004, 06:35 PM
Could be a muscular reaction to a displaced disc. Get yourself to a good osteopath and have them check you out. Seriously, dude - don't fvck with anything back related. You'll regret it later.

fa_jing
10-20-2004, 08:27 AM
How's it going? If it's any consolation, I seem to have strained my lower back deadlifting on Sunday as well, it's still bothering me. Making it tough to get through my daily activities even.

Toby
10-20-2004, 07:15 PM
Yeah Iron, you ****ed us all - bad things come in threes. My back's screwed after sparring last night. I couldn't say that one specific thing hurt it but halfway through class I was hurting pretty bad. I continued through and struggled into the car, got home and was in lots of pain last night. This morning? No better. Mine's lower back, right side only. Between the spine and the side. Bastage. Ibuprofen this morning isn't helping much. Lots of jow last night felt a bit better, but sonofabiatch it hurts. I even skipped my workout this morning, so it must be bad :D.

MoreMisfortune
10-20-2004, 07:37 PM
ooooh look at me "I am a bodybuilder" "I eat a lot of protein" "I work out a lot" "I do 60870573504 million reps with 2598762352 pounds squat bicep lift backwards inverted"
"I look soooo good, I even sometimes post pics of me shirtless"

HAHAHAHA - YOU GOT OWNNED

Toby
10-20-2004, 07:41 PM
Who are you laughing at Xebs?

MoreMisfortune
10-20-2004, 07:41 PM
look at me "I have a six pack, the ladies like it"

HAHAHAHA - YOU HAVE A HURT BACK, DUDE - OWNED

MoreMisfortune
10-20-2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Toby
Who are you laughing at Xebs?

huh? nothing, man... im just saying :)

Toby
10-20-2004, 07:45 PM
:D

Ego_Extrodinaire
10-20-2004, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Serpent
Could be a muscular reaction to a displaced disc. Get yourself to a good osteopath and have them check you out. Seriously, dude - don't fvck with anything back related. You'll regret it later.

agree with this, but likely, it's just a muscular overload to a group you never exposed so hard previously. Don'tpanic, but do a see a professional, if only to alleviate concerns.

Ps: being muscular, the yoga styled stretch plan is not a bad suggestion either. ;)

Ego_Extrodinaire
10-20-2004, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by MoreMisfortune
ooooh look at me "I am a bodybuilder" "I eat a lot of protein" "I work out a lot" "I do 60870573504 million reps with 2598762352 pounds squat bicep lift backwards inverted"
"I look soooo good, I even sometimes post pics of me shirtless"

HAHAHAHA - YOU GOT OWNNED

rflmao

Toby : both of you !!!! :) :p ;)

IronFist
10-20-2004, 09:08 PM
As for yoga stretching, I would wager that I'm more flexible than 99% of people here. When I'm not injured, I can bend down and put my face on my knees/shins while keeping my legs straight. The only thing I can't really do is the splits, altho I can get close. The point is, my back is pretty flexible.

And I've seen some people who can make a "t" by sticking their arms out and then bring their arms behind them (with assistance) and touch the backs of their hands together. Ouch. I can't do that, either, but partially cuz my shoulders are wide, I think.

Knock on wood.

Knock on wood for fa_jing and Toby, too.

Ego_Extrodinaire
10-20-2004, 09:11 PM
so you are in fact admitting your big ol boy muscles limit your rom, particularly up top. Dong ;)

IronFist
10-20-2004, 11:27 PM
When did I admit that? Wide shoulders is a function of bone structure, not muscles. I see your reading comprehension is low as always.

Didn't you get banned already?

Ego_Extrodinaire
10-20-2004, 11:38 PM
No ,...... I think that was BL and allowing personal dignity for all your work, bowing out of discussion.

goodbye Iron.

norther practitioner
10-20-2004, 11:44 PM
I'd wager both times you pulled a muscle. When I pulled my back out in college training for skiing, I could hardly breathe without it aching, then the last time, when I first started training kung fu again, I could hardly sit or lay down without first looking for something to hit because it hurt so bad.... but then again I'm a wuss.

Either way, if your last injury was only a few months ago, I'd bet you reagrevated that same muscle. I'd go get it checked out if you have health insurance, if not, some ibu. and rest is what you need. After it feels better, give it another couple weeks to really heal so you don't have one of those annoying reacurrings. Mine right now is my right hammie. Evertime I thought it was healed, I'd start training kicks again, I'd get about 10-20 in, and boom, there it is again.

fa_jing
10-21-2004, 11:05 AM
Iron - remember, I said twisting stretches. Like this: http://www.abc-of-yoga.com/yogapractice/sage.asp
or this:
http://www.yahooyoga.com/yyh1d01.htm

Doesn't have much to do with hamstring flexibility.

BTW, you would want to try some milder variation of the above exercises. A great book is the "complete Illustrated book of Yoga," just go to Borders and find a Yoga that features a real Swami and leaf through the twisting poses section.

IronFist
10-21-2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by fa_jing
Iron - remember, I said twisting stretches.

Remember, I can't read. :D I'm looking through those links now.

Serpent
10-21-2004, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by IronFist
As for yoga stretching, I would wager that I'm more flexible than 99% of people here. When I'm not injured, I can bend down and put my face on my knees/shins while keeping my legs straight. The only thing I can't really do is the splits, altho I can get close. The point is, my back is pretty flexible.

Actually, what you describe is more a function of flexible hamstrings than back, but that's kinda beside the point.

Ego_Extrodinaire
10-21-2004, 08:32 PM
strangely enough I think you're right. but splits and thigh and hip flexibilty is another thing altogether. try some pilates for in depth body awareness...... have you before Iron??