PDA

View Full Version : William CC Chen + san shou?

Enforcer-
10-17-2004, 05:24 PM
http://www.emptyflower.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi/YaBB.cgi?board=done;action=display;num=1093291080

H20 wrote:

William CC Chen is a Yang stylist who's students regularly compete and win in San Shou.

while some oother people on bullshido, gamefaqs and other forums said that his students use san shou to fight and train with and only some of them train tai chi as a supplement. ShaolinTiger on this site even said that kung fu does not work in san shou and the best fighters use san shou or kickboxing. mma tournaments proved this as well. So why do people on emptyflower keep definding theyre useless styles? At least show as a sparring clip or something.

ShaolinTiger00
10-17-2004, 06:04 PM
So why do people on emptyflower keep definding theyre useless styles?

No one wants to admit they've spent years of blood , sweat & tears(good band) in a worthless system.

WanderingMonk
10-17-2004, 06:21 PM
ST00,

You are so right. PRC was downright foolish to hire Li Bao-ru (Beijing Shuai Jiao, Yi Quan) as head coach for China's National Sanda team. It only held them back. We need you to go over there and straighten them out. choke out all of Chinese national team. show them Li Bao-ru knew nothing. show them that boxing/judo/MT is the only way to go.

China needs you. Please, we need you to end all these worthless kung-fu crap. you and you alone can do it. Then, we can all meditate and reflect on your incredible insight and enlightenment.

lkfmdc
10-17-2004, 09:59 PM
a lot of TCMA people like to point out William CC Chen. He himself was a good fighter, with a western boxing background by the way, and he participated in the yearly national lei tai events in Taiwan.

That being said, his school has NOT produced San Shou/San Da fighters. William CC Chen's son, Max Chen, is an active competitor, but also is a person who has trained with THREE of the "big 7" san Shou programs, with a kickboxing coach and with a boxing coach...

Enforcer-
10-17-2004, 11:19 PM
Interesting. So that topic starter who was flamed by that forum was essentialiy right when it comes to yang tai chi at least.

Brad
10-18-2004, 09:37 AM
William C.C. Chen teaches a modified version of Yang style, so I don't think it's really fair to use him as a representative of Yang Cheng Fu style. I don't know enough about either to say which(if any) is "better", I'm just pointing out that they aren't really the same thing.

lkfmdc
10-19-2004, 12:42 PM
since someone asked, AGAIN, what the "Big 7" are.....

in no particular order

Boston San Shou
Baltimore San shou
San Jose (Cung Le)
Oakland (Brent Hamby)
Houston Texas (Mike Altman)
Iron Tiger, Ohio (Scott Sheeley)
NYKK NY

Meat Shake
10-19-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by ShaolinTiger00
No one wants to admit they've spent years of blood , sweat & tears(good band) in a worthless system.

lofl... I hope this isnt refferring to the group of people whom I train with...

Meat Shake
10-19-2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by lkfmdc
since someone asked, AGAIN, what the "Big 7" are.....

in no particular order

Boston San Shou
Baltimore San shou
San Jose (Cung Le)
Oakland (Brent Hamby)
Houston Texas (Mike Altman)
Iron Tiger, Ohio (Scott Sheeley)
NYKK NY

From what I understand a couple of mike altmans guys came to our last event with master lin... Sadly however, I was unable to stay and watch the sanshou fights. :(
Still waiting on a recap though...

Edit: Who runs the baltimore and boston san shou schools?

lkfmdc
10-19-2004, 01:18 PM
Boston San Shou is the oldest SS program in the country, founded by Jason Yee, and pioneered the sport here in the US. At this time, I believe it is handled jointly by Josh Bartholomew and Marvin Perry

Baltimore San Shou's head coach is professional San Da fighter Julio Trujillo, who was also an amateur champion

Suntzu
10-20-2004, 06:34 AM
;)