PDA

View Full Version : Chiu Van...?

whatthe?
10-17-2004, 05:44 PM
Hey does anyone know much about Chiu Van? I know he was one of YM Hong Kong students, but there doesn't seem to be much information out there on him.

Reason I ask is that there is new school opened up in Melb by one of his students - about 2 streets away from Williams Cheungs head school - maybe we'll see an aggressive market takeover. Hah! (by the way i am not trolling as i dont train with either of the above mentioned lineages - just curious)

Thanks for any info in advance.

Vajramusti
10-17-2004, 05:52 PM
There is a lot of info on Chiu Van. He learned a lot of wing chun
before meeting up with Ip man in HK and learning more from him.

Part of lineage issues common in wing chun- one student of his
by passes reference to IM in the lineage.

There area couple of well known students of his who teah out of Atlanta.... one of them has had "practical experience" with his wing chun- like the late Chiu Van.

The webmaster of Wing Chun World is also in that lineage.

whatthe?
10-17-2004, 06:02 PM
Yeah, but is he any good?
And what sort of history of his training is there - did he always do Honky style or did he come from Pien San etc?

cheers

Vajramusti
10-17-2004, 08:23 PM
Who Jiu Van? From my understanding he was good.

Some talk was that he had triad association and had to
use his skills for real.

Jason Lau of Atlanta previously of New York City was his student.
Lau also teaches a "tough" version of wing chun.

I have no idea of the skills of the guy who is going to teach in your area. Good people can produce uneven student quality.

YongChun
10-18-2004, 12:03 AM
I know a few people from that lineage who are very good fighters. One of the guys I mentioned before who worked for some Hong Kong underworld organization was from that lineage. He used the stuff a lot and was good at multiple opponent fighting too. However any teacher has good students and bad students. So you just have to check them out.

Ray

whatthe?
10-18-2004, 12:13 AM
Cool! I'm just about to finish work, so i'll go down there now and lay the smack talk down! :D

Finny
10-18-2004, 03:18 AM
Be sure to report back, whatthe.

I'd be interested in your verdict.

russellsherry
10-19-2004, 05:46 PM
hi what the, i went to that kwoon , 3 years ago to have a look
i would train at william 's school before , i would go to that sifu , but chiu van is good though, their is talk some say he was, senior to yip man but as yip opened his kwoon first he did not what to interfere but thats olny a rumor peace russellsherry

whatthe?
10-19-2004, 06:05 PM
Hi russel,

has it been open that long? I know chinatown pretty well and the signs I saw down little bourke street only went up in the last few weeks. What was your impression of the school and where there many students?

Cheers

russellsherry
10-19-2004, 06:20 PM
hi what the ,i have known that sifu a little bit , all i will say is this,
when i went their he had four guys come in he used to teach at a resturant in footsgrey with his sifu its called dannys but i thought this guy would not be around next week also i dont like people who talk my master this and that but each to his own he has been their awhile though that school used to be david petersons , check your message box i will give you some information peace ruusllsherry

whatthe?
10-19-2004, 06:24 PM
thanks russel!

reneritchie
10-20-2004, 07:31 AM
Jiu Wan didn't do Pien San in China, he learned from his uncle Jiu Chao (Pan Nam's teacher), who was a student of Chan Yiu-Min (Chan Wah-Shun's son and Yip Man's sihing). He may also have learned directly from Chan Yiu-Min.

russellsherry
10-21-2004, 04:11 PM
hi rene thanks for the information peace russellsherry ps jason lau was one of his top students was he not?

YongChun
10-21-2004, 04:47 PM
Hard to say who was the top student. I have seen very different kinds of Wing Chun come from that lineage. Some was of the very hard kind and some would be at the other end of the spectrum. None of what I saw looked like Jason Lau's stuff. Fred Kwok in Vancouver is from that lineage. So there are a few public teachers than can be compared.