PDA

View Full Version : Wing Chun in ShangHai?

Zhuge Liang
10-17-2004, 05:55 PM
Hello,

I remember that one of the posters here is currently studying Wing Chun in Shang Hai. Would you mind sending me a PM? I'm in the Puxi area and will be staying here for about a month. I would love to come check you guys out.

Regards,
Alan

kj
10-17-2004, 06:08 PM
Alan, among other things, I highly recommend a day trip to Suzhou if you can manage it while you're "in the neighborhood." And of course Yu Yuan and Dian Chun Tang (http://www.wingchunkuen.com/why/articles/contemporary/santo_shanghai.html) . Plus a whole lot of other things, LOL. Not that you'll run short on things to do or see, but email me if you are looking for ideas. While it isn't saying much, I'm slightly more familiar with the Pudong area.

Regards,
- kj

Zhuge Liang
10-18-2004, 05:02 PM
bump

Hey KJ, thanks for the recommendations. I'm just a *tad* swamped with work, but I'll try to make time to see some sites. I'm doing ok so far, but I still gotta find a laundromat...

Regards,
Alan

canglong
10-20-2004, 02:48 AM
I am relatively a beginer in wing chun. I have been studying it for a little bit here in Shanghai, but since my sifu does not speak english and I don't speak Chinese, I always feel as if I am missing something.... --Hungfutkune
This may be the gentleman you are looking for.

Hungfutkune
10-21-2004, 11:05 PM
Hi Alan,

Sorry it took me so long to respond to this thread. I have been in Canada for the last 3 weeks. I also am currently in the PUXI area.
I will contact you privately.

Just out of curiousity, what lineage of Wing Chun to you do, and how long have you studied.

HungFutKune

Ernie
10-23-2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Zhuge Liang
Hello,

I remember that one of the posters here is currently studying Wing Chun in Shang Hai. Would you mind sending me a PM? I'm in the Puxi area and will be staying here for about a month. I would love to come check you guys out.

Regards,
Alan

Alan ,
Peter from out school [ they guy getting tossed around in most of the demo's with Gary ] is moving to Shanghai in 2 weeks , he will be looking for guys to train with :D

Hungfutkune
10-23-2004, 07:15 PM
hi Ernie,

Sorry I couldn't make contact when I was in LA. I was a lot more busy then I thought I was going to be.

Make sure that when your friend comes to Shanghai that he contacts me. It's always great for me to get knocked around by people who know more Kung Fu than me.

Hungfutkune

Ego_Extrodinaire
10-23-2004, 07:20 PM
What branch WC are you studying there and though relatively noob to WC ( re BL , currently seeking a few month work contract close to a gongfu guan) , could that invite be extended ???

Hungfutkune
10-23-2004, 07:28 PM
Hi Ego,

I study Cheung Bo (I think that's how you spell it). I have only been training for 3 months.

I don't speak chinese and my instructor doesn't speak english, so I'm sure that I am missing a lot. So I am always interested in meeting people in Shanghai that do wing chun, even just to talk about theories, history and certain techniques.

But be warned, I am strictly a beginner!

Hungfutkune

Ego_Extrodinaire
10-23-2004, 07:44 PM
lol....

I think she's been playing with WC ( dim mak / cavity strikes/ strike concepts / lil sticky pole and hands ) for only a yr or so and has just on rudimentary han yu ( chinese language). But she is dedicated to ( her training and developement both ) and is knowledgable about her current gongs. So can I tell her she should consider herself invited???

btw:- what are you paying there and how often and for how long can train there??........??? :)

Buddy
10-23-2004, 07:51 PM
Hung,
Ego is really just some crazy Ozzy chick with a fantasy. OR it's some transformer nerd in Jersey. They share a screen name. Avoid her like the crabs.

Bloomie, you claim to understand Chinese culture and asked in public to be invited to someones school? How embarrassing.

Zhuge Liang
10-23-2004, 09:15 PM
Hi All,

It sounds like we might have a mini gathering in Shang Hai, of all places. :)

Anyways HungFutKune, I've been studying with Kenneth Chung on the US west coast for approximately 3 and half years. His teacher was Leung Sheung and Leung Sheung's teacher was Yip Man. Check out http://www.bawcsa.org for more info. My Chinese, altough functional, is not great, and it's occasionally been difficult communicate. Look foward to meeting a fellow English speaker. :) Please contact me as soon as you can. I'll be leaving on the 17th of November.

Ernie, so Peter's coming to tear the city apart huh? Unfortunately, I don't have any leads as to what kinds of schools are around here. Peter will probably have more luck finding one (and if he does, tell him to let me know!). As for meeting with HungFutKune, I'm more than happy to give Peter the opportunity to push me around again. ;)

Anyways, HungFutKune, see you soon!

Regards,
Alan

Ego_Extrodinaire
10-23-2004, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Buddy
Bloomie, you claim to understand Chinese culture and asked in public to be invited to someones school? How embarrassing.

embarressing nothing!!!!!!!!! .the chick does humble well..... do you hate her for wanting it or hate her for thinking she's above it?? No shame in her game!!!!!!

she wants a shifu and and I'm her contact!?

be generous ha

Buddy
10-23-2004, 09:45 PM
"embarressing nothing!!!!!!!!! .the chick does humble well..... do you hate her for wanting it or hate her for thinking she's above it?? No shame in her game!!!!!!"

No you don't. You beg publically for an invite. You're an internet typist. No one knows you but for your loony internet presence.

Ego_Extrodinaire
10-23-2004, 09:50 PM
she is self professedly desperate for new stimulations,!! but she just wants a respectable and knowledgable; old school shifu and some intellctual stimulation meeting personal challenge goals

........ be nice okay!!!!!!

btw : she's spoken one on one to many a forum member here ( from all lvls of respectabily) who since have acknowledged her gongs and individuality differentuality and non -dual skill !!!!!!

Ps: I still hate you but roll on!!

Buddy
10-23-2004, 10:09 PM
"she is self professedly desperate for new stimulations,!! but she just wants a respectable and knowledgable; old school shifu and some intellctual stimulation meeting personal challenge goals"

But you'll never be ready. How can you learn if you already know?

"she's spoken one on one to many a forum member here ( from all lvls of respectabily) who since have acknowledged her gongs"

This isn't an intellectual exercise, it's skill. I've read what you've wrote and you know nothing. Talk is cheap.

"and individuality differentuality and non -dual skill"

Drunken ramblings

Ego_Extrodinaire
10-23-2004, 10:31 PM
:rolleyes: going for the massage!

later

EE

Hungfutkune
10-23-2004, 10:48 PM
Hey Zhuge,

Send me a private message or email. You definetely have more experience than me!! so it will be great meeting up with you, if you don't mind me picking your brain for info. And it's always good to speak to someone who speaks english. I have sent you an email, but I will send you a PM with more info

Ego,

I am always open to meeting new people in the kung fu world and I don't mind it when people ask for an invite, depending on what an invite means to you (i can't arrange for room and board). If you are in Shanghai do not hesitate to contact me. Send me a PM and I can give you my personal contact info when you come to town.

Ernie
10-24-2004, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Zhuge Liang

Ernie, so Peter's coming to tear the city apart huh? Unfortunately, I don't have any leads as to what kinds of schools are around here. Peter will probably have more luck finding one (and if he does, tell him to let me know!). As for meeting with HungFutKune, I'm more than happy to give Peter the opportunity to push me around again. ;)

Anyways, HungFutKune, see you soon!

Regards,
Alan

Alan ,
Hung out with Peter last night , he all ready has a list of schools he is going to visit ;)

I will pass on his information when i get it ,

kj
12-19-2004, 09:11 PM
Looks like I'll be heading back to Shanghai, probably as early as February.

Alan, Hungfutkune, Ernie or others, I'd be grateful for any info on potential Wing Chun contacts while I'm there. It's been pretty "dry" on my previous visits, but time allowing, I'd really look forward to making connections with practitioners or schools.

Feel free to pm or email me if convenient.

Thanks in advance,
- Kathy Jo

Zhuge Liang
12-20-2004, 11:29 AM
Hi KJ,

I communicated with Hungfutkune over KFO PM mainly when I was in Shang Hai. Both he and his sifu are super super nice guys. Hungfutkune's restaraunt makes some pretty tasty chicken wings as well. I'll email you his contact info offlist. I don't know of any other wing chun schools in Shang Hai however.

Regards,
Alan

Sandman2[Wing Chun]
12-20-2004, 02:29 PM
It's been a few years since I've been to shanghai, but the Chin Woo there was building a new facility nex tdoor to the older building, and was apparently bringing in a WC sifu to teach there even though they traditionally teach N. Eagle Claw, preying mantis, and other northern styles. No idea if this actually happened or not, but you might want to check with them.

kj
12-21-2004, 05:40 AM
Alan and Sandman,

Thanks for the tips! I'll let you know how I make out if I manage to make some connections.

Regards,
- kj

Ernie
12-21-2004, 09:35 AM
hey KJ
Peter is out there but that boy is a machine, he likes to bang , not sure if it would be fun for you ,

but if you want to meet him i can try and hook it up , he is good at Gary's stuff

he just really likes a good war over layed back training

kj
12-21-2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Ernie
hey KJ
Peter is out there but that boy is a machine, he likes to bang , not sure if it would be fun for you ,

but if you want to meet him i can try and hook it up , he is good at Gary's stuff

he just really likes a good war over layed back training

If he's a decent and trustworthy sort, then time permitting I don't mind at all trying to contact him in case he has any remote interest to connect up, or to inquire if he can recommend any other feasible contacts in the area. I’ll be sure to let him know I’m not looking for any challenge matches, LOL; just a schlep who enjoys an exchange of ideas on martial arts, tips on a respectable restaurant, or alternatively any to avoid.

Feel free to PM, email, or whatever is easiest.

Thanks,
- kj

Jim Roselando
12-21-2004, 03:42 PM
Shanghai?

Well, its not WC but there is a guy there named:

Cai Song Feng who is supposed to be very very good at Yang Taiji and soft jing discharge. Can he fight? Dont know! Can you learn about the body and soft jing from him? No doubt.

Could be worth checking out!

If anything you can try to learn about Wuji Zhuang from him and its importance!

Have fun!

:)

kj
12-21-2004, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Jim Roselando
Shanghai?

Well, its not WC but there is a guy there named:

Cai Song Feng who is supposed to be very very good at Yang Taiji and soft jing discharge. Can he fight? Dont know! Can you learn about the body and soft jing from him? No doubt.

Could be worth checking out!

If anything you can try to learn about Wuji Zhuang from him and its importance!

Have fun!

:)

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the tip. Yes, I am aware of Cai. He's way high on my "wish list." I am not holding my breath however. I've inquired, and understand that he does not teach publicly, and is relatively reclusive (or lives rather remotely, or both), at least as regards random MA visitors. If I ever get lucky enough for some sort of introduction (I'm not counting on it), you can count me there. The anguish of being so close, yet so far away, LOL.

FWIW, Ken has met him. They were supposed to meet up again last time he was in Shanghai, but their timing failed to coincide. I have a hunch that he will be seeing Cai again looooong before I do.

Regards & Thanks,
- kj

whatthe?
01-10-2005, 05:05 PM
Hi guys,

I just got a job in Shanhai for a year and i will be there from the 8th of Feb (Kung hay fa choi :), but it would be awesome if I could meet up with some of you and train???? I am probably a beginner/ntermediate level with about 5.5 yrs experience.

Training background is Lee Shing -> Joseph Man -> me in the UK, and then Chu Chong Tin -> Joe Chan -> Me, back here in Melbourne. Trained at Dave Petersons school for a few months, but it was too hard for me to get to as well.

I am working/living in the French Concession area near Maoming Lu if you know it - Willing to be someones live dummy for food ;)

later

King of Dumplings