PDA

View Full Version : no handed kip up

Shaolin Dude
10-17-2004, 09:51 PM
when you do a no handed kip up, are you suppose to use your head to lift up. this is the way I do it, and I know it's bad for your neck.

MasterKiller
10-18-2004, 08:47 AM
You push with your head as you kick your legs.

Mika
10-18-2004, 10:35 AM
I ain't never been able to do a kip-up myself, but some folks who can do it, have told me you have to use your whole body - and quickly, of course - with a lot of focus on explosive and correctly timed use of your feet, hips, and upper back.

Let us know how you found your way of doing it :)

//mika

MasterKiller
10-18-2004, 12:17 PM
Most important thing is to buck your hips up as high as possible (like you are loving a good woman ;) ). You can't get your feet into position unless your hips are high.

Shaolin Dude
10-18-2004, 09:24 PM
the way I do it, I use my head to pull my body up. seems pretty bad for my neck

Mika
10-19-2004, 03:31 AM
Maybe you could try using your upper back instead, like the folks I mentioned? Then the importance of throwing your hips up like MK said would probably be more evident.

Try it! :)

//mika

wall
10-19-2004, 10:15 AM
You do suffer a whiplash-type harsh motion to your neck when doing a no handed kip up, it's just what happens as the momentum swings you and the head is first bending back and then wipping forward.
Nothing you can do about it. Neck will get used to it if done regularly. Not sure about long term damage but I've been doing them in forms and such since I was about 14, I'm 33 now and still do them, no weird neck aches or other problems so far. And I have a reasonably long neck, I'm not one of those bull-necked guys :)

IronFist
10-19-2004, 10:46 AM
I can't even do a regular one :D

wall
10-20-2004, 05:29 AM
Iron ... never too late to learn:) especially if you are in good physical condition ;)

Not so easy however for those pumped-up boys ;) with no real power / speed / agility mix :D

DISCLAIMER: I'm Joking !!!!!! :)

MasterKiller
10-20-2004, 10:57 AM
IronFist doesn't have enough cardio for kip-ups.