PDA

View Full Version : New to Wing Chun

Jada
10-18-2004, 07:25 PM
Hi All!!
I am new to Wing Chun and I love it. The more I learn about it the better it gets. I'm still trying to get down SLT and practice it everyday. I am having a hard time with the footwork and I feel like I am holding back my class. Everyone is very understanding, and I think thats great. But any advice besides practicing to help me learn it quicker. All the words almost sound alike to me, any way to remember them better? Thanks for your help!!

Jenn

YongChun
10-18-2004, 08:07 PM
What lineage are you training in? Is the footwork part of the SLT? What footwork are you talking about that you have difficulty with?

Ray

Toby
10-18-2004, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Jada
But any advice besides practicing to help me learn it quicker.Stay away from the forum ;).

Seriously, a month isn't long to have learned. Don't worry too much if you aren't picking up on everything just yet. It'll come. I've only learned for a short while too, but repetition helps (both with the names of "moves" and the moves themselves). Footwork? If you've only learned a month I'm surprised you're doing much anyway. Give it time, and practice as much as possible *shrug*. Same as everything - you get out what you put in.

stonecrusher69
10-18-2004, 08:58 PM
good luck with your trainning!!! I assume when you say footwork you mean opening and closing the horse?

Jada
10-18-2004, 09:03 PM
Hi All,
It's the pivoting part and the moving of the fist as your moving. Not too sure of the name but it's the one movement when take a step and pivot or pivot and take a step. The triangle movement not so bad. I'm just not sure.

AmanuJRY
10-18-2004, 09:49 PM
Welcome Jada.:D

As Ray (YongChun) suggested, if you state your lineage there may be some on the board who know your instructor's approach to teaching better than others.

As for the terminology...don't be too critical about the spelling.;)

Mr Punch
10-18-2004, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Jada
Hi All,
It's the pivoting part and the moving of the fist as your moving. Not too sure of the name but it's the one movement when take a step and pivot or pivot and take a step. The triangle movement not so bad. I'm just not sure. Your instructor must be terrible! You shouldn't move your feet at all for at least a year! He should have given you the famed wing chun sticky slippers that glue your heel to the floor!!!

Yeah, watch out for this forum, they'll just wind you up! :eek:

Hi, BTW! :)

Ali Hamad Rahim
10-19-2004, 06:52 AM
Jada, maybe this can help you? down near the bottom of the video department, "foot work drills".

http://detroitwingchun.com/video%20frames%20page.htm

Ali Hamad Rahim.

AmanuJRY
10-19-2004, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by Mat
Your instructor must be terrible! You shouldn't move your feet at all for at least a year!

This statement is false. If the instructor didn't teach you footwork in the first few months, then he might be terrible.

Jedi-X
10-19-2004, 07:43 AM
dear jada,

congrats on you finding a system that you enjoy. in terms of footwork, take it slow. if you push too hard too fast you won't learn as easily. one thing that has helped me in siu nim tao is to break the form up into 3 sections. when you do this practice the first section for a week or two then move onto the second then the third. doing this will help you out tremendously

45degree fist
10-19-2004, 11:58 AM
to help your Snt find out what each motions application is then you can focus on that as you are doing your SNT.

As the footwork issue goes its good to have a basic understanding of footwork at this level. but chum kiu is were it is really learned.

Jada
10-19-2004, 03:43 PM
Thank you Ali Hamad Rahim for the site. I'll have to look at it better when I am done with work.

Jenn

Jada
10-19-2004, 03:44 PM
Thank you all for your postings.

Jenn :D

canglong
10-20-2004, 03:05 AM
I'm still trying to get down SLT and practice it everyday. I am having a hard time with the footwork...
What footwork?