PDA

View Full Version : why is empty hand outdated?

red5angel
10-20-2004, 03:20 PM
Ross said something in another thread, and whether he believe it or not I've seen it repeated on this forum buy people who do. Why is it that on a forum full of emptyhand stylists, there's a large population who believe that it is not necessary or it is outdated?

I hear the guns, bombs, tanks and airplanes excuse but in my personal experience, I've seen more empty handed fighting then I have, any of those other alternatives, and that's including my military experience.

lkfmdc
10-20-2004, 03:44 PM
red,

don't mis quote me, I said that the founder of Aikido believed that....

so don't say I said that, I didn't

Ai Lek Ou Seun
10-20-2004, 04:09 PM
It's definitely less useful in a military context than it has been in the past....but not necessarily less useful in a personal street context.

SimonM
10-20-2004, 04:58 PM
Empty hand can actually get you OUT of trouble.

Weapons (melee or modern) just get you INTO trouble.

Empty hand is definately more useful.

yenhoi
10-20-2004, 05:30 PM
knife > empty hand

etc

:eek:

Enforcer-
10-20-2004, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by lkfmdc
red,

so don't say I said that, I didn't

yang cheng fu, chen fake, and the tai chi people before the cultural revolution thought that as well. hence why tai chi turned into a health dance from a martial ar.t.

MasterKiller
10-20-2004, 10:14 PM
Another moronic thread started by a midget with 9 months of training...

red5angel
10-21-2004, 03:18 PM

That's not what I meant Ross, just that your quote or whatever stuck out. It was the quote itself and not the context.

Simon, that's sort of along the lines I'm thinking. I could carry a gun if I chose too, and our state now has the conceal and carry law, but I chose to get into the martial arts to not just for fun and not just for exercise but to learn to defend myself because almost all the conlficts I have ever been in or witnessed have not involved weapons.

Occasionally the argument is interjected - martial arts is useless and outdated now a days. I'm not feeling the weight of the turn of the century, after I had dedicated my life to fighting with my hands, that being extremely apropriate at the time, to see that way of warfare suddenly turned away by the invention of the gun and all that followed.
I don't live in a neighborhood where people get shot often and I don't hang around with people who carry guns or knives on a regular basis, except for utilitarian purposes. However I still feel my martial arts training is an effective way to learn to defend myself.

yenhoi
10-21-2004, 07:15 PM
Weapons are everywhere and a "Martial Artist" should learn to use them.

Just caue everyone else wants to bang knuckles doesnt mean you cant have a blade.

:eek:

EarthDragon
10-22-2004, 06:16 AM
redangel5,

why do you ask such stupid questions and start idiotic threads? how old r u anyway?

Arnt you he guy who started a thread and asked who would win in a fight bruce lee or superman?.
I mean really.... I have read some of your posts and when you want to you can come across as averagly intellegent. But then you start threads that are geared more for kindergardeners.

Dont take offense and attack me like you usually do, just answer the questions please.

Ego_Extrodinaire
10-22-2004, 06:33 AM
Sometimes as a soldier, you could be really down on your luck, out of ammo, left your bayonette at home. Empty hand is all you have.

red5angel
10-22-2004, 06:40 AM
Earthdragon, what the fukk are you talking about? Wait, I have a better idea, stop talking. I didn't bring up chi blasting cause I don't believe in it, sorry to offend you. Wait, no I'm not, there's not such thing as chi.

Yenhoi - I'm not saying learning to use various weapons, knife, gun, sticks, whatever you want or think will help you is useless, less practical then empty hand, or whatnot. I'm just saying that I've seen a lot of opinion stating that learning the martial arts is mostly vestigial. That it's generally a waste of time since most people get shot or stabbed, etc....

The quote Ross used was a good example, I can't find the quote at the moment and am too lazy to look for it but he references it in this thread. Even some of the old skool martial arts guys, apparently around WWII, decided that it wasn't worth as much as it used to be. I stated my personal opinion on that up above.

Ego_Extrodinaire
10-22-2004, 06:51 AM
Yes definately in the age of fire arms empty hand is less useful. We can't cover for all eventualities.

EarthDragon
10-22-2004, 06:55 AM
redangel..................Oh magical trevor your so clever. Give me a break.
See I knew you couldnt just answer my questions without attcking me in a childish mannor, your only defense.

MasterKiller is right about you .

MasterKiller
10-22-2004, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by EarthDragon
why do you ask such stupid questions and start idiotic threads? how old r u anyway? He asks stupid questions because A) he hasn't studied anything long enough to know anything and B) he's too stupid to realize he doesn't know anything.

You ever want to see his master work, browse the Wing Chun forums when he had his head up Carl's @ss. Those are classics.

red5angel
10-22-2004, 07:18 AM
redangel..................Oh magical trevor your so clever. Give me a break.

is this MK? ;) you didn't ask any questions worth answering, and they were based as attacks. I'm not going to bother to seriously respond to your requests until you learn to be respectful fukwad. Keeerist, I can't believe someone let's you teach people anything much less that fake chi crap you're constantly spouting off about.
You are dismissed until you can act like a grown up - go to your room.