PDA

View Full Version : Cool cross training

norther practitioner
10-20-2004, 11:38 PM
OK, so, growing up I was a ski racer (from age ~5 to 21). When I have time, to get back in shape, I try to do some of the excersise we did for dry land training. Well, either way, this guy AJ Bear, who is one of my favorite racers, is just absolutely rediculous on swiss balls....

Gord Brown's site (http://www.gordbrownskiing.com/Coolstuff.htm)

That guy is a coach...

I'll comment after a few replies (sorry it's not a lifting thread Iron)

:D

Ego_Extrodinaire
10-20-2004, 11:42 PM
Looked at swiss balls a few times myself, but really found minimum value for time better spent elsewhere. Digging the skiier quad, and appreciating the ski ab, but how exactly are they training that ball??????

Toby
10-21-2004, 01:03 AM
Watch the movies, Eyebrows, and you'll see.

NP, cool clips. The "4 balls" one looks like it hurt. Ouch!

I never liked AJ Bear, though. I don't like people who use initials as their name. Don't ask me why. Except CJ from Baywatch - she was alright :D. When I was skiing I liked Tomba. Huge powerful guy. Herminator too.

Re swiss balls: one of my peers at uni gave a presentation about pro footballers doing swiss ball work. They had three groups - control who did nothing, 3x10 rep weights guys and no weights but swiss ball stability exercise guys. 40-odd participants all up. The swiss ball guys came out the best in their tests, the control stayed the same and the weights guys went slightly downhill. The tests were regarding strengthening of a particular cruciate ligament - I don't remember which one.

norther practitioner
10-21-2004, 01:12 AM
funny arsehole...:D

In real life I go by my initials...

oh, and mostly here too....:D

The pistol is rediculous.. imagine, one foot, one ball under said foot, and having the balance, strength, and muscle control to do a pistol...

Oh, the trampoline is my fav. though.

Toby
10-21-2004, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by norther practitioner
In real life I go by my initials...No offence, I just don't like it. Probably because I'm pretty Australian, and it seems like a very American thing to do. Way more common over there than here. Which is why I don't understand why AJ Bear does it.

Originally posted by norther practitioner
The pistol is rediculous.. imagine, one foot, one ball under said foot, and having both the balance, strength, and muscle control to do a pistol...

Oh, the trampoline is my fav. though. The trampoline one is pretty cool, but that's a soft mat the ball's resting on. I imagine that helps a bit with the landing - not saying it's easy though. The guys in the study I mentioned couldn't do anything on the balls at first, but they did 30min 3 times a week for 12 weeks and at the end were doing standing two-legged squats on them.

Ego_Extrodinaire
10-21-2004, 03:16 AM
nice trolls boys, but you're supposed to be amongst the more informed, so inform a little ha?? :rolleyes:

swill ball routines??

Ming Yue
10-21-2004, 06:40 AM
the pistols were impressive. gotta try that but I'm sure I'll end up on my back. :)

going from sitting to standing is surprisingly easy - try it. Once I'm on my knees I roll forward and over the tops of my feet straight to the balls of my feet. with practice you can do it from sitting in one smooth movement. nice gym trick.

Ego_Extrodinaire
10-22-2004, 03:57 AM
cheers, but so far, time still better spent elsewhere. Anyone else??