PDA

View Full Version : Unconventional Methods

Jeff Bussey
10-21-2004, 01:11 PM
I like to hear about people's training methods.

I was talking to someone who trains out of his basement and the way they train is with loud/profane music with a stobe or flashing lights. He said he likes to stimulate his other senses almost like a club setting so you can learn to tune everything out.

Not sure how it works but I like to hear about stuff like that.

Anyone willing to share any unconventional methods?

J

Ernie
10-21-2004, 01:28 PM
Upon visiting my insane yet highly skilled friend
He was in his garage with a pair of jump sole sneakers a backpack full of weight and working footwork to max roach jazz drums , to improve his broken rhythm and timing .
He was at it for about 2 hours by the time I got there

YongChun
10-21-2004, 03:23 PM
There is a Japanese Karate, kickboxing and shootfighting teacher here. He is a very good fighter. I heard he carries around a backpack with about 100 pounds of rice in it and he bikes all over the city that way too. Not sure if he brings that on a date or not.

Ray

old jong
10-21-2004, 03:29 PM
I direct my palm at a Orville Redenbacker or something popcorn bag and try to focus my chi!...The day I will succeed in making it pop,I know I will be ready for Ernie!...;)

Ernie
10-21-2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by old jong
I direct my palm at a Orville Redenbacker or something popcorn bag and try to focus my chi!...The day I will succeed in making it pop,I know I will be ready for Ernie!...;)

darn it looks like i will have to return my pop corn bag chi proof vest i got for my birthday

out smarted again

well back to the drawing board :(

PaulH
10-21-2004, 03:33 PM
I knew one Tiger Style guy who kept poking and clawing the floor tiles with his fingers for one or two hours everyday. His fingers look normal but he can really break and crush most things with his bare hands.

YongChun
10-21-2004, 03:39 PM
This might be an urban legend but someone said some Tiger Claw club in Los Angeles used to get a big hunk of meat, hang it up on the wall and try to claw that to pieces.

This Filipino student I know said his 87 year old Hung style teacher used to hold a hand full of cork bits, throw then up in the air and then try to catch each bit with his crane pecking motions before they hit the ground. He used to swing a marble around on a string all over the place to help him see quick motion.

One lady we had was very good at some of the Chin Na wrist locks. She developed her strength from doing the dishes every night. After the finished the dishes, she would try to wring out every last drop of water. Sometimes we would make a game of it to see who could really wring out the last drop.

Ray

PaulH
10-21-2004, 03:51 PM
Nice story, Ray! Tak Kubotan also has a weird way of conditioning his hands. He would take a hammer and smash his hands and fingers every morning. His students said that he can poke a hole in a coconut with his fingers and made a big hole in just about anythings with his fist! =D

Jeff Bussey
10-21-2004, 04:22 PM
I love these kinds of stories :)

That's awesome guys