PDA

View Full Version : Student , Shifu , Master Or Grandmaster

FEELERSTRIKE
10-24-2004, 01:03 AM
How long do you need to train or how experienced do you need to be before you are given a title ?
What is the difference between a Student , a Shifu , a Master and a Grandmaster ?:confused:

Laviathan
10-24-2004, 02:42 AM
Student: someone who has joined the school. He/she is taught the basic and intermediate forms, techniques and methods. A student practices the style but does not belong to the lineage.

Disciple: a student who has performed the Baishi-ceremony, making him/her officially part of the lineage. In most cases, the disciple will receive True Transmission, the advanced teachings of the system. But sometimes a discipleship is in name only, a person is accepted as disciple but does not train.

A disciple is considered to be a Inner Chamber Student. Some people use the term Close Door Student, but this is incorrect. In Chinese martial arts culture, a Close Door Student is the last person to be accepted as a disciple by a certain teacher.

Shifu: In general, a person who has acquired a non-literary skill. For example, my driving instructor was my Shifu. The chef in my restaurant is a Shifu. In Chinese martial arts culture, a martial arts practitioner who has students is automatically a Shifu. I have two friends who learn from me, and during training they call me Shifu. It doesn't say anything about my skills, just the relationship between me and my students.

Furthermore, a practitioner who opens a school will also be called Shifu by the (local) martial arts community.

Grandmaster: this is a tough one. In my opinion, an instructor with 2nd or 3rd generation students can be considered a grandmaster within their own school.

Laviathan
10-24-2004, 12:42 PM
Laviathan that sounds like a preaty accurate discription

Thank you.

but. from my understanding you left a few ranks out. Well at least in my system there are a couple of others. Disehang = assistant instructor or 1/2 of Sehang ( di means 1/2), Sehang = instructor then Sifu wich means master, only the Grandmaster can appoint a student to this rank.

With "Disihang" I think you mean "Dai Sihing" (Eldest kungfu brother)? I don't really understand what 1/2 (a half?) means... Anyway, Dai = Big, Si = Learning/teaching, while Hing = older brother. In Chinese martial arts culture, the first MALE student of a martial arts teacher is the Dai Sihing. He often function as assistant instructor, but this is not necessarily the case.

A Sihing is just a guy who happens to join the school prior to your arrival, a Senior Classmate. Of all your Sihing, the Dai Sihing is the most senior.

I am aware that in many kungfu schools, the term Sihing is used as a rank. But traditionally speaking, Sihing refers to the seniority of a student, but does not function as rank.

just because you teach doesn't mean you are a Sifu. I teach and I'm not a Sifu.

I didn't say "teach", I said "having students"... Two different things. :D

By teaching you mean you're an assistant instructor at your sifu's school, right? In that case, you're not a sifu. Because those are your Sifu's students, not yours.

But once you have your own students, then you become their sifu.

I would like to conclude that, in tradtional Chinese martial arts culture, there are in fact no ranks. The titles of Sifu, Sigung, Sisok. Sibak, Sihing, Sidai etc. are used to describe the lineage relations within a martial arts school, like a family. They are relative, not fixed

German Bai Lung
10-24-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Laviathan

A Sihing is just a guy who happens to join the school prior to your arrival, a Senior Classmate. Of all your Sihing, the Dai Sihing is the most senior.

I am aware that in many kungfu schools, the term Sihing is used as a rank. But traditionally speaking, Sihing refers to the seniority of a student, but does not function as rank.

I didn't say "teach", I said "having students"... Two different things. :D

By teaching you mean you're an assistant instructor at your sifu's school, right? In that case, you're not a sifu. Because those are your Sifu's students, not yours.

But once you have your own students, then you become their sifu.

I would like to conclude that, in tradtional Chinese martial arts culture, there are in fact no ranks. The titles of Sifu, Sigung, Sisok. Sibak, Sihing, Sidai etc. are used to describe the lineage relations within a martial arts school, like a family. They are relative, not fixed

Agree 100%.

Shadow Skill
10-24-2004, 05:31 PM
I didn't know that. thank for the insight.